Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cat convertor question!! please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cat convertor question!! please help!!!

Hi my fellow cb7 tuners! well i gots a question.....is it safe to clean out the cat convertor? and how can i clean it? what are the loses and gains of cleaning out the cat convertor?what im trying to say is can i just remove the cat from the car and just blow high pressure air inside of it, so that all the bad gases can leave. I know that the gases get stuck in there and with the time the cat clogs, im asking this because my brother did this to his prelude, but i really dont know if it is safe, i asked him and he said yea but i want to make sure from my fellow cb7 tuners. thanks thanks members!!
    Last edited by pedroalcala; 07-02-2009, 12:20 AM.

Clean it out? Do you mean hollow it out?

That has to be the stupidest thing you could possibly do. It actually creates turbulence in your exhaust stream, and creates more of a restriction than a properly functioning cat. Not to mention, it spews toxic fumes into the air.

Just replace it if it's not working anymore.

Comment

Do not "gut" the cat. There are several reasons not to do so. Especially if the engine is still N/A

The major one being that the current generation of catalyst converters are not very restrictive at all. In fact, they actually work like a tuned collector on N/A engines. As the exhaust gases pass through them, they act like a check valve for exhaust flow. As the exhaust valve closes, momentum causes the gases to continue to travel through the exhaust system. This is plenty of energy to pass through the cat. This causes a vacuum to build up between the exhaust valves and the catalytic converter. The energy required to pull the gases back through the cat can't build fast enough to work before the next exhaust valve opens. When that next exhaust valve opens, it is opening to a vacuum environment which helps to PULL the gases out of the cylinder due to what is called "scavenging effect". This translates into more power as the piston now does not have to do all the work to evacuate the cylinder of spent combustion gases.

Second, if you were to gut it, I would definitely use a cat removal pipe (Test Pipe). The chamber left after you would "gut" the cat is actually worse at losing energy than having a stock catalytic converter. This is because as the gases enter the empty chamber, exhaust velocity slows down. As it then regroups to enter back into the exhaust piping, it does not have the energy it did before, therefore it "stacks", causing backpressure. This backpressure now works against the flow of spent gases out of the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens, causing the piston to do all the work. Now, energy is being wasted for gas removal that could otherwise be used to turn the crankshaft.

My recommendation would be to leave the cat alone. If not use a high flow catalytic converter, or a Test pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
        Do not "gut" the cat. There are several reasons not to do so. Especially if the engine is still N/A

The major one being that the current generation of catalyst converters are not very restrictive at all. In fact, they actually work like a tuned collector on N/A engines. As the exhaust gases pass through them, they act like a check valve for exhaust flow. As the exhaust valve closes, momentum causes the gases to continue to travel through the exhaust system. This is plenty of energy to pass through the cat. This causes a vacuum to build up between the exhaust valves and the catalytic converter. The energy required to pull the gases back through the cat can't build fast enough to work before the next exhaust valve opens. When that next exhaust valve opens, it is opening to a vacuum environment which helps to PULL the gases out of the cylinder due to what is called "scavenging effect". This translates into more power as the piston now does not have to do all the work to evacuate the cylinder of spent combustion gases.

Second, if you were to gut it, I would definitely use a cat removal pipe (Test Pipe). The chamber left after you would "gut" the cat is actually worse at losing energy than having a stock catalytic converter. This is because as the gases enter the empty chamber, exhaust velocity slows down. As it then regroups to enter back into the exhaust piping, it does not have the energy it did before, therefore it "stacks", causing backpressure. This backpressure now works against the flow of spent gases out of the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens, causing the piston to do all the work. Now, energy is being wasted for gas removal that could otherwise be used to turn the crankshaft.

My recommendation would be to leave the cat alone. If not use a high flow catalytic converter, or a Test pipe.
        Well what im trying to say is can i just remove the cat from the car and just blow high pressure air inside of it, so that all the bad gases can leave. I know that the gases get stuck in there and with the time the cat clogs, im asking this because my brother did this to his prelude, but i really dont know if it is safe, i asked him and he said yea but i want to make sure from my fellow cb7 tuners. thanks

Comment

i wouldnt!!! just replace it if u r experiencing problems

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordex-r View Post
            i wouldnt!!! just replace it if u r experiencing problems
            well not problems just want to clean it.....make it like new kinda

Comment

if its not broke dont fix it....lol i guess

Comment

In theory, you should be able to clean them with almost any chemical ompound that won't effect platinum but will effect carbon.

But if your car is running good, why mess with it and risk damaging it...

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
                  In theory, you should be able to clean them with almost any chemical ompound that won't effect platinum but will effect carbon.

But if your car is running good, why mess with it and risk damaging it...
                  true, but do u recommend cleaning it, or just buy a high flow? if i clean it will i gain anything in performence?

Comment

You won't gain significan't power with a "high flow"... one from SMSP is the only performance cat I would recommend. Cheap ones may be more restrictive, and will probably sound worse. SMSP, or OEM Honda would be my suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                      You won't gain significan't power with a "high flow"... one from SMSP is the only performance cat I would recommend. Cheap ones may be more restrictive, and will probably sound worse. SMSP, or OEM Honda would be my suggestions.
                      THANKS....AND THANK U ALL MY FELLOW TUNERS, REALLY HELP ALOT!!

Comment

I wouldn't cut it, replace it first, the consequence isn't worth the minimal rewrd
                        Its more than a hobby, it's a lifestyle!

Comment

I doubt high pressure air would clean off the platinum surfaces much, but who knows.

Comment

I don't think that's a good idea, you might break one of the lines or staff in there.
                            If it's not broken, burned or clogged, don't do it, leave it as it is!
                            Colombian CB7

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...3A+1992+accord

Comment

Working...
                            X