Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake

Hey I've had my 91 EX for about 8 months and I'm ready to start the mods =]. But I'm new to this whole thing and pretty much have little to no knowledge. I was going to start with the basic header, exhaust, and intake upgrade. But what do you guy think would be better, cold air intake or short ram intake?
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=155493
    NY

Follow @cb7_society on Instagram

h22 swap fund - $24.95

cold air ftw

2014 bisimoto parts coming soon

Comment

search tool, use it.

Comment

I've researched both of them, but I don't see any real difference between them besides length and hp.
        NY

h22 swap fund - $24.95

Comment

Originally posted by tweezy View Post
          I've researched both of them, but I don't see any real difference between them besides length and hp.
          thats basically the only difference, cai is gonna give u more added horsepower than sri.

Comment

a cai will give you a denser air charge in most cases leading to more hp. sometimes it will even "trick" the ecu into runing leaner. longer tube = more friction.

a short ram draws warm air from the engine compartment but in most cases allows for a higher velocity of incoming air.

its all up to personal preference, if you drive through deep ass puddles because you live on a back road or something you might not like a cai due to the whole hydrolock thing, if you live in a warm dry climate you might not like a short ram. its all up to you, cheif.
            Last edited by scudweiser; 06-21-2009, 11:47 PM.

Comment

longer tube doesn't equal more friction, very little of the total volume touches the tubing.

Longer tubing effects air resonance...I don't understand it fully so I can't really go into detail...but apparently you want 2-3' of tubing? I'm not sure I need to learn more

once you get moving temperature inside is a null argument...but you still want to get the air from the fender...basically not in the engine bay...it helps...but not by much.

it's the larger tubing plus less restrictive air filter that helps...cause those two let in more air.
              ____

Comment

Thank you all for your help! So basically the short ram intake will increase the torque and cai will raise the overall power? Correct me if I'm wrong.
                NY

h22 swap fund - $24.95

Comment

And as a btw, my car is automatic. Should I even do any mods on an automatic car?
                  NY

h22 swap fund - $24.95

Comment

Originally posted by tweezy View Post
                    And as a btw, my car is automatic. Should I even do any mods on an automatic car?
                    yeah. i had an auto. the thing was quick with just an SRI on it. but i shifted from 1st to 4th.

as far as SRI vs. CAI. its not about how much hp you get. the only difference would be about like 1-3hp difference. its more about WHERE you get the gain at in the power band. a SRI, you'll get the low-to mid range power. being that the tubing is shorter and the filter is closer to the TB, the air gets to the motor faster.

but with a CAI, the power is gained in the mid- to top end range. the tubing might be longer, but it helps the motor breathe better on the top end with colder, denser air from the front bumper at higher speeds.

but if your in a area that has more rain than dry days, it would be best if you had a 2-piece intake. thats only if you want the CAI gain, but dont want the water to be sucked up into your motor on rainy days, you can take the lower portion off and use the SRI.

Comment

its just a intake. gives you tops 5whp, so dont blow to much money on it. you barley will feel it. just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by hella_fresh View Post
                        its just a intake. gives you tops 5whp, so dont blow to much money on it. you barley will feel it. just my opinion
                        eh...I answered the other thread too...to summerize...fist read above post.

also every little bit counts...not everything gains 10 or 20+hp...it's a cumulative effect. Besides 1-3 consistent hp for $19...not bad...plus a better breathing engine...and it sets you up for future mods...like a cam...and tune
                        ____

Comment

more or less cai is a ricer mod, good for sucking up puddles. i learned my lesson on that the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by 5gwagon View Post
                            more or less cai is a ricer mod, good for sucking up puddles. i learned my lesson on that the hard way
                            no it's not a ricer mod...ricer mods are pointless and do nothing...CAI is neither of those...it serves a purpose and it produces gains. The more built your top end the more gains you will have. But even on stock engines it is a PROVEN improvement

and it only sucks up puddles if you put it too low...that is an improper installation issue...also called...user error
                            ____

Comment

cold air is better than short ram.
                              but to be honest, if you go with short ram,you need to block it off from the engine heat,because hot air doesnt help your peform. or gas!

Comment

Working...
                              X