Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Lower Ball Joint Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Ball Joint Installation

Hey

So I removed the lower ball joint with 13/16 deep socket and Hammer and now I'm try to install new one with a big C-Clamp and some adapter (Rent-a-tool from Advance auto)

I screw it as hard as I can and It only went in about 1/4" ><!

I try putting BallJoint in the Freeze and Heat the knuckle up and It still 1/4" in

I was thinking of going out and get 22 or 23mm socket and attach to my impact and screw the c-clamp with that.

What is your method when you are doing this?

go rent ($135 that you get back) the ball joint press from autozone...I don't think your c-clamp is rugged enough.

I used autozones press and a 1/2 ratchet and cheater pipe...it ain't easy...be careful you don't get the ball joint crooked.
    ____

Comment

that what i got. it such a bitch and i think because it off the car it even worst

Comment

i just used a big ass rubber mallet.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

should be easier to access with it off the car...do you have the bearing out too?

Mine kept going it crooked with a hammer...though that was while the bearing was still in place...still couldn't get a straight shot so I just got the tool.

It took some umpf to get it on, I had a long stick through the hole where the bearing was to counter the force I was applying on the breaker bar I used to tighten the clamp down.

tighten it and watch to make sure it's moving and that it's straight. if it moves down and it's straight your doing it right. If it's at all crooked something is wrong.
          ____

Comment

I had a hell of a time until my wife pointed out my stupidity to me. Check carefully, and make sure that the stud (the bit with the threads) isn't hitting the inside of the adapter that you are driving it into. I had to stack up two adapters on the receiving end of the ball joint press in order to make enough room for the stud to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              i just used a big ass rubber mallet.
              x2.

People tend to make shit harder than it needs to be.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

ok I will try the mallet.

I have everything off. Just Knuckle by itself

Comment

Just be sure it goes in straight. Seriously, it's not hard to put a circle inside another circle.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I don't mind whacking the turds out of something that I'm removing from the car, but I have a really hard time installing brand new parts that way. I'm not saying that it's wrong, or that you did any damage installing them that way, just that I can't bring myself to pounding new parts in that way. I even have a hard time driving bushings in with the socket and hammer method, even though that is the way nearly everyone does it, I'm still bothered by it.

Comment

I just found an easy way

Advance auto rent a tool - Ball joint press

and 7/8 Deep Impact socket and Dewalt Electric Impact

3min later Vola! No need to break any sweat

Dewalt Electric Impact is the best $20 (ebay) i ever spend in my entire life.

Comment

Working...
                      X