Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

idle surge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle surge

ok my idle likes to bounce from 750 up to 2100 then back CONSTANTLY i searched the threads and found an old one from like 2006. someone else had the same problem who'da thunk it. well it turns out my car trip a TPS code. upon doing some research i found that a whole lotta hondas use the same TPS as our cars. nice thing about working at a collision repair shop is we get lotsa totalled cars including.........wait for it...........97 honda civics with D16Y7 motors which happen to have the same TPS. so instead of spending 500 for a whole new throttle body setup or going to junk yard or worse yet spending 50 bucks on EBAY AAAAHHHH i get to pull it from a car that has only 53000 miles on it WOOHOO just thought i'd share that with all of ya. amazing thing this internet. let me loose for research and if it exisits i will find it pretty quick LOL

I use car-part.com for cross reference. just type in your car/part and it will do a interchange search automagically. Check the left side for what car it came out of in the yard.

Comment

Answer!

woah now BigDawg, i got your answer. find yourself the 'fast idle thermo valve' located on the intake. it's shaped like a small 12 ounce can, has 2 (i think) coolant lines coming out the bottom and side, and it has a small cap with 2 screws on the top. take the screws out and pop the top, and there's a small white ball with a metal ring around it. contrary to popular belief, the ring is adjustable. using 2 small screwdrivers, picks, or whatever is handy, rotate the ring around (with the engine running) until you get the idle set right. i'm fairly sure you need to rotate clockwise.
      here's what's going on. that valve reads coolant temps and monitors back to the computer. when the enging is cold, the valve is designed to let more air into the intake to warm things up faster, and visa versa when it's warmed up. the adjustment in there now is so far outta whack that it lets too much air in, which revs ur engine, and when it's high it sees that there is way too much air in and cuts the air delivery, dropping the idle speed way back down, and that cycle will continue until the engine is fully warmed up.
      had the EXACT same thing happen on my car. thank god i did that instead of dropping over $100 on a brand new valve. free is always better than paying!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMachine93 View Post
        woah now BigDawg, i got your answer. find yourself the 'fast idle thermo valve' located on the intake. it's shaped like a small 12 ounce can, has 2 (i think) coolant lines coming out the bottom and side, and it has a small cap with 2 screws on the top. take the screws out and pop the top, and there's a small white ball with a metal ring around it. contrary to popular belief, the ring is adjustable. using 2 small screwdrivers, picks, or whatever is handy, rotate the ring around (with the engine running) until you get the idle set right. i'm fairly sure you need to rotate clockwise.
        here's what's going on. that valve reads coolant temps and monitors back to the computer. when the enging is cold, the valve is designed to let more air into the intake to warm things up faster, and visa versa when it's warmed up. the adjustment in there now is so far outta whack that it lets too much air in, which revs ur engine, and when it's high it sees that there is way too much air in and cuts the air delivery, dropping the idle speed way back down, and that cycle will continue until the engine is fully warmed up.
        had the EXACT same thing happen on my car. thank god i did that instead of dropping over $100 on a brand new valve. free is always better than paying!
        For the sake of accuracy, I'll just note that the FITV doesn't communicate with the ECU (thus the lack of any wires coming from it). It operates thermomechanically (if that's a word)...the temp of the coolant itself causes the valve to open and shut. Also, that fix you described is certainly not contrary to any popular belief around here.

Comment

no harm in replacing the TPS sensor! good job! smart move
          AD5OS
          FOLDING@home

Comment

Working...
          X