Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

is an a1 axle by cardone better than an Autozone? Opinons or knowledge requested.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is an a1 axle by cardone better than an Autozone? Opinons or knowledge requested.

Which is better quality, and how much better?

The A1 axles manufactured by Cardone are supposedly all new, and around $80 at the local shop that sells mainly to mechanics in my area. Not sure if it comes with a repacement guarantee, probably not as the shop deals almost exclusively with pro mechanics. The autozone is a rebuild built by ...well...who knows? and comes with a lifetime replacement guarantee.,

What do people think??

I just want an axle that's not going to break on me, that's my priority. I don't hammer on them as a rule, but I don't want the axle to fail if I have occasion to hammer on it. I've heard the autozone ones might not last so long and I might have to put a new one in every year and half or so, but what do people say about this?
    Last edited by batever; 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM.

Ive only replaced with OEM from a dealership so i guess my opinion is out.

My dad worked for Honda and got me new axles and they are still running right now no problems.

Your best bet is to go to google and see what people are saying.

Comment

Auto Zone used to carry Cardone. They actually still list the Cardone axles on their website, but none are available. My take is parts store parts are all about the same. They aren't OEM by any means. They'll get the job done, and often come with a Lifetime Warranty. That doesn't mean that they won't wear out quickly, they will, but they'll replace them for free. Of course, you'll be stuck doing the work to install the new one.

What you get depends some on how much money you have to spend, how long you intend to own the car for, and whether you mind doing the work over again. For some parts, I wouldn't go with anything but OEM. For other stuff, I go to the local parts store. I recently changed an axle, and used one from Auto Zone. We'll see how well it holds up. If it makes it a couple of years before I have to swap it out, then I'll be happy. If it fails in less than a year, then I'll buy one from Honda next time.

Comment

A brand new axle for $80? Not a bad deal at all. Cardone is a good brand, I'd do it, they should have a warranty.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

if your axles are OEM then take them to Honda and get some OEM honda ones. Rebuilt ones...not brand new btw

I got mine from oreilly and they are champs...most folks that get them from aftermarket stores will say they fail after 20k miles though, I don't know if that's just autozone or not.

Mine have 80,000+ (replaced aroun 120-130k? now have 217k) miles or so and I've been pretty mean to them. But again...apparently my exp is unique.

So if I buy aftermarket I will not buy autozone...but oreilly...doubt it matters though as the person doing the rebuild is what matters. You could rebuild them yourself...if you could spare your car that is. Something I might do next go around.

The honda rebuilts are going to be your safest longest bet.
          ____

Comment

Cardone is fine.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
            1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
            2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
            2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
            2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
            2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

just take it to honda and let them fix it for u, honda got better quality
              Last edited by Sleeper00; 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

So far, I've never had a problem with the Cardone stuff. We don't have Autozone up here so I can't comment on the other brand.

Comment

I decided to just install the Autozone one I already had on hand and stop worrying.

I had never done the axle before and I couldn't get it to slip in and engage the snap ring in the tranny. So I looked at my old one and saw that the axle ends meet at the ends of both outer shells on an assembled joint. Decided it was ok to hammer it in a little using a block of wood on the end of the axle and the axles lined up in a perfect line. It went in like a charm with each tap of a carpentry hammer.

My Haynes manual said "gently slide the inner joint in" but really it wasn't happening. after the first like 1.5 or 2 inches it just stopped, with maybe another 3/4 inch to go before it was fully in. . I'm guessing it was stopping at the snap ring.
                  So I figured, if I had to pry the hell out out it to get it *out*, why wouldn't I have to apply some force to get it in? And I couldn't see another way of hammering it in, except by hammering on the outer shell of the inner joint. But that would have meant hammering on the inner boot, which I'm pretty sure would mess that up.

Hopefully, my technique is ok and I didn't mess up the tranny or the cv axle.

We'll see how this axle lasts--and if I messed anything up with my hammering action.

Thanks for all the input.
                  Last edited by batever; 06-12-2009, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper00 View Post
                    just take it to honda and let them fix it for u, honda got better quality
                    agreed...get OEM rebuild...much better
                    ____

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                      A brand new axle for $80? Not a bad deal at all. Cardone is a good brand, I'd do it, they should have a warranty.
                      They quoted me a 3 year limited warranty, good *as long as the boots are intact*.

Honda quoted me $170 for a rebuild. Also provided an interesting tidbit, apparently in the center of the main shaft of the Honda ones there is a rubber ring around it that helps dampen vibration. I asked the parts dept. guy how it would do that and he was as flummoxed as me. But then afterward, I thought it could be dampening *harmonic* vibration of that part of the shaft--like dampening a vibrating guitar string.

A totally new one from Honda was $380 and doesn't include the inner joint--you have to buy the inner joint separately.

I went ahead with the Autozone one because it was on hand (I had already bought it) and I wanted to get going on the job. If I need to replace it in a year and a half I'll just replace it then.
                      Last edited by batever; 06-13-2009, 02:48 AM.

Comment

i would have said cordone because my paps works at cordone. i am using the axles from that place on my white ex for 6years now with no problems....
                        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

This is what I experienced with autozone's axle's:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...urnPage=Search

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=38416847

the vibration is terrible! i replaced the axle 2X before calling Marty at raxle.
                          MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord View Post
                            i would have said cordone because my paps works at cordone. i am using the axles from that place on my white ex for 6years now with no problems....

Ok, maybe next time I'll get the Cardone one!

Comment

Originally posted by djkurious View Post
                              This is what I experienced with autozone's axle's:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...urnPage=Search

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=38416847

the vibration is terrible! i replaced the axle 2X before calling Marty at raxle.
                              Thanks for the links. I learned some things reading them. I never considered that you could possible get an axle with a bent shaft until I read your experience. Or that you might want to measure the length of the output splines on the inner axle to make sure your replacement axle has splines that are long enough.
                              Last edited by batever; 06-13-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X