Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

lower ball joint...axle nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lower ball joint...axle nut

do I seriously have to remove the axle to get the lower joint out? I see no other way...but before i do it...wanted to check...where's that intelligent haynes manual when I need it...(didn't feel right calling it stupid)
    ____

yes you have too.

If you don't take that out you can't move the knuckle to pop out the ball joint

take it to local shop and have them take it out for you.

Comment

Yes you do. if u didnt youll be stuck under your car 4ver like my cuzin who did this recently

Comment

you might have to....unless you can get away with the wrench lol. I forgot the clearance in there but you can try to do it with the axle in if you have room with a set of wrenches.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

u have to take out the whole knuckle then remove the disk and hub bearing, in order to hammer that ball joint out, i did this not long ago, u have to hammer it out and hammer the new one in, not hard as long as u got the knuckle on the floor, since u got the knuckle out, this is the best time to check and replace the hub bearing, disk and the axle, cos u have to do this again if u have to replace those things later on.

Comment

Yes pull the axle. Might be a good time to do the rotorOhub swap if you got some extra money, and plan on keeping the car long enough to need new rotors. When you pound that new balljoint in put the ball joint in the freezer for a few hours first, you can almost just push that beotch in then. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by short1 View Post
              When you pound that new balljoint in put the ball joint in the freezer for a few hours first, you can almost just push that beotch in then. Good Luck!
              Nice tip!

Comment

Originally posted by XcluziveAZN View Post
                yes you have too.

If you don't take that out you can't move the knuckle to pop out the ball joint

take it to local shop and have them take it out for you.
                I didn't think you had to literally remove the knuckle. Can't you just hammer it out in place with a tie rod fork or some such device?

Comment

at some of the replies... there is like...1/2 inch clearance inbetween the axle and the top of the ball joint...I don't think the 3.5" ball joint can fit in that space...I just wanted to make sure LOL

I'm a cert. mechanic...shops do NOT touch my car all I have to do is remove axle nut and remove axle...no biggy...for me.

I shouldn't need to remove the hub or bearing...just unbolt lower ball joint, undo axle, remove axle from hub, replace ball joint...and reverse....voila.

Dammit...how and I going to make sure the upper control arm is in straight...it has a little wiggle room in it.

And I guess I'll tighten those two bolt in the upper control arms bushings with the suspension loaded (jack under lower control arm)

I'll post some pics l8r
                  ____

Comment

u do have to remove the hub bearing out of the way in order to hammer the balljoint out, like i said i just did this not long ago, make sure u get the snap ring out 1st b4 u hammer it out

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper00 View Post
                      u do have to remove the hub bearing out of the way in order to hammer the balljoint out, like i said i just did this not long ago, make sure u get the snap ring out 1st b4 u hammer it out
                      aahhh...cause it's kinda pressed and rusted in...I follow you now
                      ____

Comment

nothing big...just had to rent a ball joint press from autozone...135 but I'll get that back once I turn it in...diy to follow...

still wondering. On the upper control arm, it mount to the chassi, right next to the upper strut mounts...then there are the bolts that go through both of the bushings...they come loosened...

I'm assuming I need to load the suspension (jack under the lower control arm) and THEN tighten those two bolts correct? That's the only thing I'm not sure of.
                        ____

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper00 View Post
                          I didn't remove the hub / bearing, of course I didn't use a hammer either. I used a ball joint press, with the Honda adapter set, which makes the job so much easier. I did pop the top ball joint, and the tie rod end so that I could get the whole steering knuckle off the car to work on. That made it a lot easier to set the press up. You can get the ball joint press, Honda adapter set, and the front end service kit (which has a nice little scissor action press for popping the ball joints / tie rod end out without messing them up) from your local parts store as loaner tools, so it doesn't cost you anything extra to do the job the right way, and it's plenty easier that way too.

When tightening any bolt that holds a bushing in place, you should load the suspension before tightening it.

Comment

I didn't have to remove the hub, just loosen the bolts and push it out a little.

autozone's press is pretty thick though, so I went ahead and pulled the hub...again, nothing major

thanks for the bushing info...glad I had it right
                            ____

Comment

Their press is pretty thick, that is why you needed the Honda adapter set for it, which gives you enough room to get the press in there without removing the hub.

Comment

Working...
                              X