Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Things to know about changing the PS Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to know about changing the PS Axle

Is there any DIY on how to change it?

buy a haynes manual man...BEST thing! It's better than a diy on here cause you can take it with you.

But you have to ubolt the axle bolt and usually that involves un-denting the the inner part of the bolt. CAREFULLY using a small but square chizel...

Then I think (it's been a while since I did mine) you have to also have to get the lower control arm to hang so you can lift the knuckle up to get the axle out of it.

Then get a tool from autozone that is made for removing axles...makes it easier. Or get a REALLY long pry bar, place one end on the axle by the tranny...lightly whack it...should come out. Sometime they are a bitch.

DO NOT SHOVE THE NEW ONE IN...gently...carefully slide it in...and gently nudge it in...nothing suck like dinging the keeper at the end of the axle on install.

On one side you'll have to undbolt the axle support.

Buy new axle seals...easy to do, buy some GOOD tranny oil, go ahead and d&f the tranny. If you don't drain it a little then you'll most likely end up with the oil coming out once the axle is pulled out.

If you don't have a lift...this is a major bitch...
    ____

Comment

DO NOT SHOVE THE NEW ONE IN...gently...carefully slide it in...and gently nudge it in...nothing suck like dinging the keeper at the end of the axle on install.
      If this works for you then hooray.

I had to remove the whole assembly from the lower control arm, put both ends of the axle in as far as i could, and use the hub to slam the axle into place. It wouldn't go in otherwise.

Also, put just a dab of grease on the o-ring at the tranny end to keep it centered also. it helps make it easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
        If this works for you then hooray.

I had to remove the whole assembly from the lower control arm, put both ends of the axle in as far as i could, and use the hub to slam the axle into place. It wouldn't go in otherwise.

Also, put just a dab of grease on the o-ring at the tranny end to keep it centered also. it helps make it easier.
        Yes using the knuckle with the axle in is the best way to get er in...I meant initial insertion...I know guys who line it up...then just slam it in and 7/10 times they doink the keeper at the end of the axle. You just gently tap it in, it'll stop...then use the knuckle basher to get it in.

It really shouldn't take a ton of pounding to get 'er done.
        ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
          buy a haynes manual man...BEST thing! It's better than a diy on here cause you can take it with you.

But you have to ubolt the axle bolt and usually that involves un-denting the the inner part of the bolt. CAREFULLY using a small but square chizel...

Then I think (it's been a while since I did mine) you have to also have to get the lower control arm to hang so you can lift the knuckle up to get the axle out of it.

Then get a tool from autozone that is made for removing axles...makes it easier. Or get a REALLY long pry bar, place one end on the axle by the tranny...lightly whack it...should come out. Sometime they are a bitch.

On one side you'll have to undbolt the axle support.

Buy new axle seals...easy to do, buy some GOOD tranny oil, go ahead and d&f the tranny. If you don't drain it a little then you'll most likely end up with the oil coming out once the axle is pulled out.

If you don't have a lift...this is a major bitch...

seems like a lot more work than i though :-\...i guess ill jus take it to a mech.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSzSoLDIeR View Post
            seems like a lot more work than i though :-\...i guess ill jus take it to a mech.
            You may just want to do that.

To change an axle you have to remove the bottom balljoint from the lower control arm. (which is a bitch, even with the right tools.) and the lower shock mount. Also it helps if you disconnect the anti roll bar from lower arm too.

It takes 2 people to do it. I just did my passenger side yesterday.

When I took my old axle out, all I had to use was a pry bar and a little pulling. To get the new one in, I just put it in the hole and turned it while pushing until it slipped in. Some white grease on the ends of the axle helped them slip into place.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post

To change an axle you have to remove the bottom balljoint from the lower control arm. (which is a bitch, even with the right tools.) and the lower shock mount. Also it helps if you disconnect the anti roll bar from lower arm too.

When I took my old axle out, all I had to use was a pry bar and a little pulling. To get the new one in, I just put it in the hole and turned it while pushing until it slipped in. Some white grease on the ends of the axle helped them slip into place.

What?? It shouldn't take two people...this is really not a hard task...well if you have a lift. But even without one...y'all are making this way harder than it is. But if you're squeamish about this then I wouldn't try it.
              ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                What?? It shouldn't take two people...this is really not a hard task...well if you have a lift. But even without one...y'all are making this way harder than it is. But if you're squeamish about this then I wouldn't try it.
                See i did it with jack stands, and I had to have a friend pull up on the hub while I held the lower arm down. Same went for taking the old axle out.

It might be possible by yourself. But its a lot easier for 2 people.

Comment

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post

I highly beg to differ that its brutally hard to remove the ball joint from the arm. I learned this trick from a local member.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ

He is doing this on a civic, i did this on my accord, and havent had any issues since.
                  I used a 22MM wrench instead of the 16 he put in.
                  90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
                  2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

Originally posted by js593 View Post
                    I highly beg to differ that its brutally hard to remove the ball joint from the arm. I learned this trick from a local member.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ

He is doing this on a civic, i did this on my accord, and havent had any issues since.
                    I used a 22MM wrench instead of the 16 he put in.
                    I did try this on my girls civic when I changed her axle, and it was easy! I didn't even have to kick the ratchet, I just lowered the jack and it popped! That freaking easy.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

All you have to do is put a jack underneith the rotor once you have the lower ball joint nut off and smack the hell out of the lower control arm with a hammer and it pops right off.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                      member ride thread
                      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                        I did try this on my girls civic when I changed her axle, and it was easy! I didn't even have to kick the ratchet, I just lowered the jack and it popped! That freaking easy.
                        Same here, the weight of the knuckle was plenty to pop mine loose.

Comment

like I said...it shouldn't take two people, and it isn't that hard.

BUT...if you think it is...let someone else do it.
                          ____

Comment

Working...
                          X