Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

erratic RPM and hesitation on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

erratic RPM and hesitation on startup

About a month ago my car started acting very weird on start up...it does it way bad on cold start up, but has even done it on a warm or semi-warm startup.

For the first 15-30 seconds the idle is somewhat bouncy (it seems to like to just rev up to a little under 2k at times), and if I try to give it gas, it won't move the RPM for a second and then kind of stutter and shoot up. If I just try to drive, the car will buck and such when in gear. I like about 4 houses in off a main road, and by the time I get to that main road, it's usually stopped.

I have no idea WTF this could be? Just randomly started one morning. I get no check engine lights, and after it has its little fit when I first start her up, she idles great, and has normal response. Any ideas?

egr...iacv....does it smoke any while its doing this? I would clean the iacv. Pull your plugs before you start the car and see what they look like. It could be poor fuel pressure. Sticky valves.......probably not. Have you changed the plugs wires cap rotor fuel filter oil....lately?

Comment

EGR = such a PITA to clean lol.

New dist, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and oil.

I don't notice any smoke at all, just real weird and hesitant. Runs great after that initial start up. I will check my plugs and see what they look like; might give me some insight as to how she's running. The injectors have 340k on them...maybe time to send em in to get cleaned and benched? lol

Comment

have u check/cleaned the iacv,
        try that...

Comment

I have not, but that will be the first thing I check as it's the easiest. I just put this motor in about 4-5k miles ago and remember cleaning that, but I think I just cleaned the screen (which would of course leave the inside all nice and nasty still). I'll give it a whirl when I get a free moment and let you guys know my results.

Comment

I cleaned the IACV and the thermo valve, still having the issue. I am also losing lots of coolant.

I am assuming at this point I may have a bad head gasket. I am going to check the oil either tonight or tomorrow, and pull the plugs as well to get a good look at them (If one is cleaner than all the rest, usually means coolant in the cylinder ya?). Only weird thing is that even if I go WOT getting on the freeway or something, I see no white smoke. Either I am leaking from some random place, or the HG is bad. Still have yet to fix the idle issue as well.

Comment

i don't know if you resolved this issue or not, but i thought i'd share.

my car recently developed a stumbling issue on a cold engine. once the engine warmed up, say for 20-30 seconds, the RPMs would jump a little and the idle would smooth out.

this morning, i checked my plugs and three of four were LOOSE. they weren't in bad shape, so i just retightened them. they have only been in the car for a few thousand miles. done in 10 minutes. car runs fine now.

Comment

check the stuff everyone said and also check grounds and maybe add a few i had that problem and i just added a few grounds and itsa fine

Comment

Working...
                X