Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

rust in front rear qtr panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rust in front rear qtr panel

opinions on how bad the rust is? rust seems like surface rust and seems easily fixable without cuttting/welding new metel?

The quarter panel might need to be cut/welded because of how it bubbles up the paint.

Really, though, the only way to know is to sand it/wire brush it down and find out. I'd bet it goes down in behind the trim strip, too.
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Might be that someone did some shitty dent repair there with the slide hammer that requires drilling holes in the panel to use, and then didn't seal the back of the panel. Thats what I'm dealing with now on the gf's car.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I looked behind the trim. Looks like all the metal is still there and intact. Just started to rust. Probaly from the dent repair? Bout how much to fix it? Under the wheel wells there's no rust. Only on that side there's rust.

Comment

Just grab a grinder and clean it up then. Could just be surface rust.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Don't have a grinder...any idea where to get one? should I peel off the peeled paint? The area of the rust is pretty hard still n don't wanna mess it up I never dealt with rust before

Comment

Originally posted by JDMCB705 View Post
              Don't have a grinder...any idea where to get one? should I peel off the peeled paint? The area of the rust is pretty hard still n don't wanna mess it up I never dealt with rust before
              Your going to want to get a wire wheel and remove all paint and minor rust. then take your angle grinder and get the metal smooth ( not all rusty and pitted). after that's done hit it with some etching primer, lay down some glaze to get it nice and smooth. Then get your paint situation figured out and you'll be good.
              wat?

Comment

Originally posted by JDMCB705 View Post
                If you have a drill, you can get small wire wheels that do a very good job of cleaning up rust. Really, though, since you are looking at a fairly large area to clean up, you might want to have a shop do it. I only say that because you won't get the paint to match without having some experience doing autobody paint, and I'm not talking about rattle can. Of course, if you don't mind that it will look different then it doesn't really matter - do it yourself and save the money. A shop will want to do a much larger area than that.

Just make sure you get a nice rust preventing primer on it before you do any other paint.

EDIT: I type too slow.
                1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Thanks for the replies, hope its not worse than what it seems like

Comment

That's an odd way for the rust to appear. Usually it's over the wheel arch. That's the only place you don't have it!

Replacement quarter panels can be gotten from tasauto.com, or ebay (not sure on the ebay quality though). They have to be welded on, but if it comes to a cut and weld situation, i'd recomend replacing the entire panel. I've had a cut and weld patch done twice to mine, and it's reappeared both times.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                      i'd recomend replacing the entire panel. I've had a cut and weld patch done twice to mine, and it's reappeared both times.
                      A panel like this it doesn't need to be. Its probably not rusting from the inside out. And good luck getting the panel he needs from tas.
                      wat?

Comment

True. Nobody makes coupe panels... and the sedan panel is really only good for repairing the wheel arch on coupes. Bleh.

If you have to cut and weld, make sure it's done VERY well. Mine wasn't. It's rusting around the weld.

Comment

tas doesnt sell that part. there is slight surface rust underneath the right passenger side door. it is odd thats the only major rust on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                            Your going to want to get a wire wheel and remove all paint and minor rust. then take your angle grinder and get the metal smooth ( not all rusty and pitted). after that's done hit it with some etching primer, lay down some glaze to get it nice and smooth. Then get your paint situation figured out and you'll be good.
                            c91blx7 noticed ur in chicago too, interested in helping me w/ this? pm me

Comment

That section of trim probably came loose, so water could get behind more easily. then leaves and crap and dirt can build up behind, holding the water like a sponge. Add winter and road salt to the equation and it could explain the localized rusting emanating from that trim strip.

Comment

Working...
                              X