Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

car sputtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car sputtering

I start and drove my 1991 Honda Accord EX today. It starts fine, I drove for about 5 minutes and it sputters. I stopped, then I started the car again and drove for 15 minutes, it was a little bit better but I can feel it sputtering. The last time I drove this car was 3 days ago, and it drove great. Now, after I start the car, it will sputter and dies after 5 minutes. I have no problem with starting the car, I don't see a smoke coming out of the muffler. I recently changed oil. For the past 8 months, I have replaced Spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, PCV valve, I cleaned the IAC valve, and bought a new battery. Please help me

could be bad gas. get some 93 and some fuel treatment. Change the fuel filter also. If its sputtering it sounds like a fuel related issue. Pull the plugs and see if they look fouled. You can tell alot by the way the plugs look. Is there a cel on? If not get the catalytic converter checked also. let us know if you find out anything.

Comment

When was the last time you replaced the o2 sensor? I recently had a sputtering/loss of power, it would happen at partial throttle, and was pretty much random. I could WOT and the hesitation/sputter/power loss would go away. To test, I just disconnected the o2 sensor, and drove, the problem didn't re-occur. Yes the CEL will come on, its normal. Otherwise, if its not the o2 sensor, when was the last time you cleaned the EGR?
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

DONE!, I put about a half can of Sea Foam treatment. White smoke came out of my hood, the smoke was gone by the time I opened the hood tho. That was it!. Now the car runs a little smoother than it already is, no more sputtering. I was hoping the smoke would come out of the exhaust pipe, but anyways thanks for your help guys.

Comment

If it came out under the hood I would think you had a exhaust and or vacuum leak. Did you put it thru the gas tank or thru the brake booster hose to the manifold? You probably had egr issues if it helped. IMO

Comment

ooh man, it's still sputtering. I've replaced spark plugs and wires, still the same result. I took it for a drive, once again the white smoke came out of the hood. It's actually from the passenger side. I put the sea foam thru the gas tank. Today, I also checked the air filter and it looks fine. What could this be?, please help. Thank you

Comment

Have you tried unplugging the o2 sensor like I mentioned before? What about your EGR? Both will cause sputtering & hesitation.

Comment

Did you check your main relay?

Comment

I have done the list below:

1. Replaced spark plugs + wires
                  2. Replaced fuel filter
                  3. Checked and cleaned throttle body, intake, and air filter
                  4. Checked distributor cap and rotor
                  5. Checked o2 sensor

Car is still sputtering. Anything else I should check?. Please help me. Thanks

Comment

Main Relay? Dirty Fuel Injectors? EGR non-functioning or clogged?

Comment

would all of these show up if I get a code reader?

Comment

Originally posted by goodybear View Post
                        would all of these show up if I get a code reader?
                        you cant use a code reader on cb's they done have DIAG ports.

have you verified that you actually have spark in all cylinders? and what brand wires/plugs did you use to replace?

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                        member ride thread
                        11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                        DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                        People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                        I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                        John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

How do I verify that?. I bought NGK iridium with a housebrand autozone wires, tho I still have an NGK wires that was used for 3k miles.

Comment

use NGK wires they are far superior to even most high performance brand wires. put those wires back on and see if it still does it.

to check for spark you can pull the wire out and stick an old spark plug in the wire and touch the metal of the plug to metal somewhere. you should be able to see the spark while cranking it. do that one at a time for each cylinder.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                            member ride thread
                            11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                            People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

You could just have weak spark. I would check to see if you have a good blue spark with a plug like stated above. If not change the coil. It could also be a fuel issue. Bad gas? Did you fill up before this started? Put some octane booster in the gas tank and see if that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X