Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

People with drum brakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People with drum brakes.

If you just replaced, your pads, shoes, flushed, and/or bleed your system, make sure you adjust the star adjuster. I've been driving with my brake pedal sinking to the floor for the past 4 or 5 months, and i just got in a accident recently,cuz my brakes didnt grab hard enough so my tires kept sliding. I thought, i just needed to bleed my brakes, well i finally got in to a brake class, and got the chance to flush and bleed my system. I bleed my system about 3 or 4 times now, and flushed it about 2 times, and my pedal still feels the same, well its good anyways cuz i was doing something in class. Well today were learning about drum brakes and they mentioned that there an adjuster for drum brakes. So today i finally adjusted the star adjuster and my brakes are like new. It grabs really good, and now i can brake and not get into anymore accidents ....just sharing my experience out there, because i've seen all the other "my pedal sinks to the floor" threads here and no one mentioned anything about the star adjuster, so yea..if your pedal sinks and it doesnt grab just make sure that its properly adjust. If the drums comes off easily even with the ebrake is up, adjust the star adjuster properly.

MEMBERS RIDE.

Bought from: DannyD , Night Wolf , CB7=91, lummieCB7
    Sold to: LITuner, rezist09, Pacman91EX, 93AccordLXwhite, PhatAccord, TheNextEpisode

ha yea that would be a good thing to adjust.... Isn't there a thread of drum brake procedure when replacing shoes.... I know I need to replace mine soon... Been holding out.

What kind of class is this? vocational school or high school or something?
    AD5OS
    FOLDING@home

Comment

You are always supposed to adjust the star adjuster. I normally adjust it so that the drum gets a little bit tight when you spin it, then a bleed the brakes a little more, then adjust the star more until the drum is a little tight again.

These are great tools:

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
      Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
      My member's ride

Comment

Thats why you should probably know how they work before you go tearing them apart.
        wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
          Thats why you should probably know how they work before you go tearing them apart.

Yeah, honestly, adjusting the shoes is a fundamental step in drum brake service. I don't know why people mess with the thing that stops their car when they don't know what they're doing.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I recently had this done, because I had some fun with my e-brake, like doing a 180 spin on dry pavement, and using it to avoid speeding tickets by not flashing my break lights. That sort of thing, I would notice that the pedal would raise itself when I pulled the ebrake (and I would have to pull it almost all the way for it to lock the drums). So I took it to my mechanic and had them adjust it. There is less nose dive, and that it takes significantly less pedal pressure to accomplish the same thing before. I'm also guessing that it would cause excessive wear to the front brakes & suspension too the way it was acting before the adjustment.
            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by AD5OS View Post
              ha yea that would be a good thing to adjust.... Isn't there a thread of drum brake procedure when replacing shoes.... I know I need to replace mine soon... Been holding out.

What kind of class is this? vocational school or high school or something?
              its a brake class in my local community college...really fun thou

MEMBERS RIDE.

Sold to: LITuner, rezist09, Pacman91EX, 93AccordLXwhite, PhatAccord, TheNextEpisode

Comment

where is the star adjuster located?

Comment

right under the wheel cylinder behind the hub on the left side

MEMBERS RIDE.

Comment

Adjuster bolt

MEMBERS RIDE.

Comment

Flathead screwdriver works just as well...Just sayin.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

make sure you turn it the right way too and the self adjusting lever sits on the star otherwsie it will be pointless. i need to tighten mine up as well.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

yea a flat head is what i used....

oh and it will only turn 1 way which is down....if u wanna turn it up, your gonna need onther flat head to push the self adjuting lever so you can turn it up...

MEMBERS RIDE.

Comment

Working...
                          X