Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Steering wheel shakes when i press the brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel shakes when i press the brakes

Ive posted a thread up before about my steering wheel shaking when im on the highway and slowing down from like 70 or 80mph...

I changed my rotors and brake pads and the problem went away for like 2 or 3 months

now im starting to get the same exact problem again when im slowing down on the highway

what else could this be? i doubt its the rotors since ive already changed them not 2 long ago

The rotors are warping again. Theres a lot of factors that go into this. Like the quality of the rotor, do you ride your brakes, what kind of pad is on them, and if you're calipers are operating like they should.
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry View Post
      The rotors are warping again. Theres a lot of factors that go into this. Like the quality of the rotor, do you ride your brakes, what kind of pad is on them, and if you're calipers are operating like they should.
      X2

I would suspect the calipers are not functioning properly. Like they are having a slight drag which causes the rotors warp prematurely. Rotors warped on 2 to 3 months time is very unlikely unless you ride the brakes OR you just slapped in a crappy rotor.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
      1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
      2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
      2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

your rotors are more than likely warped like mine are. i just dont have the money to buy new ones yet. if you have replaced yours then take them to a tire or brake place and have them cut down to where they are ture and not warped.
        My cb7

h22a
        5-spd lsd
        Lord, grant me the serenity
        to accept the things I cannot change,
        the courage to change the things I can,
        and the wisdom to hide the bodies
        of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Konigstiger View Post
          X2

I would suspect the calipers are not functioning properly. Like they are having a slight drag which causes the rotors warp prematurely. Rotors warped on 2 to 3 months time is very unlikely unless you ride the brakes OR you just slapped in a crappy rotor.
          wut do u mean ride on brakes?

Comment

Oreillys turns rotors for free
            LIONS GARAGE

GARAGE*FRESH

Comment

this is 99.9% warped rotors my moms car just had to get her front right rotor changed and it calmed it down alot but then they realized it was coming from the back not the front.

Comment

next time you change, upgrade to better brakes rotors. It'll cost a bit more, but WELL worth not having to mess w/ them again until they're actually worn out instead of prematurely warped. The rotors are about an inch bigger (11.1" vs 10.2") and the pad is about 30% bigger than the stock CB7 pads, so that helps defeat brake warping

Vigor Brake rotors
                Vigor Brake Calipers
                Vigor Pads

Total cost was about 250. Which isn't a lot, considering how much mechanics charge to do brakes on our cars....just a suggestion.

I've had my Vigor brake setup on my car for just over a year now and they're rock solid every time I hit the brakes, no shimmy or shaking and some of those stops are from 100+ mph.

But another thing you have to have, which I just thought of is at least 15" wheels. So I guess if you don't have those on your car, then you might be kinda limited in your options.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by DrSzSoLDIeR View Post
                  wut do u mean ride on brakes?
                  It means holding your foot down slightly on the brakes while you're driving. This and late braking as you approach an intersection prematurely warps rotors and causes brake vibrations (which I explained before). I've seen it happen countless times in my tenure as a tech because people suck at braking. Brake early and brake light. It doesn't take much to warp rotors. 2 months is nothing. I've seen shitty drivers warp brand new rotors after a week of driving.
                  Last edited by IAmTheNight; 05-14-2009, 02:48 AM.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

My 2¢

Originally posted by DrSzSoLDIeR View Post
                    Ive posted a thread up before about my steering wheel shaking when im on the highway and slowing down from like 70 or 80mph...

I changed my rotors and brake pads and the problem went away for like 2 or 3 months

now im starting to get the same exact problem again when im slowing down on the highway

what else could this be? i doubt its the rotors since ive already changed them not 2 long ago

Just my 2 cents but along with warped rotors, tires out of balance will give you a shudder at certain tire revolutions, if say at 65 theres nothing but at 73 there is and you goto 82 and its fine again its the tire, so maybe while braking you have a bit of shudder, that could be it...

shitty OEM type replacement rotors do have the tendency to warp fast though. If you brake hard to a light, do you sit still? You should allow the car to move a bit to disperse the heat evenly, not brake hard then sit at the light, itll warp them quickly.

Also like the other person mentioned if your caliper is crusty and not working right, itll drag (the brake pads) and heat the rotor up way too much

Comment

cheap rotors will warp quickly as well...such is my situation...
                      ____

Comment

Originally posted by IAmTheNight View Post
                        It means holding your foot down slightly on the brakes while you're driving. This and late braking as you approach an intersection prematurely warps rotors and causes brake vibrations (which I explained before). I've seen it happen countless times in my tenure as a tech because people suck at braking. Brake early and brake light. It doesn't take much to warp rotors. 2 months is nothing. I've seen shitty drivers warp brand new rotors after a week of driving.
                        I do this, because I thought it would be better for my rotors if I lightly pressed on them instead of moderately while coming to a light.

Now i have shakes...they come and go.

Comment

If you have a habit of washing your car when the brake rotors are hot be careful not the spray cold water directly on the rotors. Remember that rotors are cast iron, not steel.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
                            I do this, because I thought it would be better for my rotors if I lightly pressed on them instead of moderately while coming to a light.

Now i have shakes...they come and go.
                            That sounds like the correct way of doing it. I was describing two different scenarios of improper braking. Riding the brakes while you're driving (typical move for tailgaters) warps the rotors. If you brake late as you approach an intersection (meaning you push down harder on the pedal to stop the car to compensate for poor timing), you'll eventually warp the rotors. When you approach an intersection, the way to put less strain on the brakes is to brake early and brake smoothly. You want to ease into the braking-start light, just like letting out the clutch; if you brake early, you usually won't have to put in that much pedal pressure anyway because the friction between the road and the tires will have more time to stop the car.

Even with generally proper braking, the rotors are PROBABLY still going to get warped. Using poor quality parts is a big factor, but sometimes you can't prevent incidents of excessively hard or frequent braking. Maybe an object unexpectedly enters the roadway or you have to drive behind some brake-happy douchebag in stop-and-go traffic. Shit happens.

Turn your rotors. That should take care of the intermittent shaking. I assume it happens during high-speed braking (>65 mph).

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Turn your rotors. That should take care of the intermittent shaking. I assume it happens during high-speed braking (>65 mph).[/QUOTE]

yea, the shaking is worst at this speed

Comment

Working...
                              X