Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

A way to be safer at higher speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A way to be safer at higher speeds?

Curious, while I have gotten my cb7 to the rev limiter (a1 ecu), it's obvious this family sedan wasn't intended for such speeds.

And it's been stated several times that these cars aren't designed to go fast...even though you could...and even though several of us have/do.

While I'm not at all promoting getting to such speeds, I would like to feel...safer...when going even 75-90mph...or if I would like to someday take it to a track and top out. (yeah I know I would end up doing it on the road)

So what are some things that one could do to enhance the car so that it would be safer at higher speeds and/or handle better at higher speeds? Granted you shouldn't be doing extreme things at higher speeds. And arguments of engine and transmission aside, assuming you had the adequate power and gearing to reach higher speeds of course. Dealing mostly from a chassis and suspension point of view.

I would assume lowering the ride height, wider rims (thus widening the stance), upgraded struts and springs (say equivalent to neuspeed race springs, koni yellows), new ball joints, new bushings.

Would a roll cage help, not just in a wreck but improve stability? Would you really NEED one for the cb7? I know higher end cars (corvette, bmw, etc) do not have roll cages...but they are not honda accords either.

What else would make the vehicle safer at higher speeds? The same things that make it handle corners better? Or is there just no way to make the cb7 comparable to higher end vehicles when it comes to high speed stability?
    ____

"Roll cages" were never added to race cars for driver safety. Their main purpose has always been chassis stiffness. If you want a well handling car at high speed, this is where to start.

Drastic lowering may look nice and may even improve handling on a RACE TRACK", but on public roads, the last thing you want to do is give up "wheel travel". Sorry..

Comment

worn (not necessarily 'bad', just 'worn') bushings and ball joints/tie rods will make the car feel scary at high speed.
      get all those parts factory fresh (or upgrade to poly bushings) will give you a lot of added control and confidence.
      Basically stiffing up the car will help a lot. Obviously, if you overdo it, it can be bad as well. Super stiff Race suspension offers very tight control, but is not very well suited to handle the imperfections on city streets and highways.

Comment

at least ~7" wide wheels, quality tires, quality struts & springs, replace all bushings and ball joints too while you are at it. make sure your wheel bearings and brakes are in good working order. that is really all you need to safely take it over 100mph

for handling at 100mph+, i would strip it and seam weld the whole car, add quality strut bars (esp or diy), rear sway bar if you don't have one, get the best tires you can afford
        Last edited by rexload; 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
          at least ~7" wide wheels, quality tires, quality struts & springs, replace all bushings and ball joints too while you are at it. make sure your wheel bearings and brakes are in good working order. that is really all you need to safely take it over 100mph

for handling at 100mph+, i would strip it and seam weld the whole car, add quality strut bars (esp or diy), rear sway bar if you don't have one, get the best tires you can afford
          Yep. What he said. Just remember with the wider tires floatation/hydroplaning on wet roads become an issue, especially if you drop weight. While in the right place this can be loads of fun, but on busy rutted interstates, and two lanes, Not so much.
          My inferiority complex isn't as good as yours.

Comment

The biggest concern IMO is the springs and shocks. If you want to go over 90mph alot, then yes, lowering would help as well. Keep in mind the car was made to handle smooth, which it does, but to go beyond what it was made for, you'll be best upgrading these two.

As for tires, it all depends on what you've got on at the moment since I'm pretty sure they're not OEM at this point. Wider would help a little bit, but not as much as you'd think. A Z rated tire would help and be safer IMO.

Comment

IMO safer at high speed, this first thing should look at is "HOW TO STOP" Get better brake pads and tires. They will safe your life. Then think about handling and other things.

Comment

Well I wouldn't think slamming it to the ground would be good, but a decent drop would help stability...again that's just a though. Maybe 1.5" 2" max maybe?

Roll cages, yeah figured that would be more of a "wreck safety" issue...but stiffening the chassis would help so it's kinda indirect benefit.

Thanks thus far,
                anyone one else got some more thoughts?
                ____

Comment

Assuming a safe environment for higher speed, which ain't any public roads in my area, but anyway. Complete suspension overhaul and upgrade, bushings, bearings, ball joints the works. Upgraded suspension I'd say no more than 2" lower. Upgraded brakes, if its a regular habit - spoon makes a real nice full set for the CB....but they need 17" wheels to clear. A good set of Z rated tires, chassis stiffeners, in a uni-body car - the cage is definitely the answer, and while its apart, seam welding wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't know how an air dam or splitter would affect a CB since I've really never seen one, but they're a regular item on most road course cars with factory-ish bodies. And don't forget decent seats and harnesses. I've never had a scarier experience than doin a buck twenty on a white vinyl bech seat with a lap belt. -- no matter how solid the car is.
                  93 EX Arcadia Coupe, 5spd, f22a6, strut bars, 2"drop, baer brakes, ingalls camber kit, tokicos w/ eibach, K&N, 205s / 16s

Comment

my advice to you is to not go incredibly fast on city streets, seeing that puts you and everyone's life in danger. but as for the track i would say lower psi in tires, better traction. and low, stiff suspension.

Comment

Go for a full cage setup,
                      a non recline race bucket, wear a helmet and a hans device.
                      The CB7 will not be able to reach speeds fast enough to kill you.
                      Hurt you, but not kill you.
                      And as far as "high speed stability" 75-90 mph in a car with a cage/race bucket/hans device,
                      will feel like 35mph...

Comment

a cage is definitely an overkill for cruising around 90mph

Originally posted by zack_odom View Post
                        The CB7 will not be able to reach speeds fast enough to kill you.
                        a cb7 with some basic mods will reach 120mph in roughly 35sec sec from a stand still. i think 120mph is enough to kill if you end up hitting a tree for example

Comment

Um u just quoted me out of context foo lol.
                          I was including all the full cage setup...+hans+helmet.
                          I read in his post that he did intend to top the car out....
                          So I said that stuff for that reason....

Comment

an impact at 15mph can kill you, the faster the easier. The cb7 can reach 120-130 in stock form, PLENTY fast enough to kill you...with a rollcage, well I don't know...it helps but...well...crashing is crashing.

I do appreciate the safety advice and it's a point that needed to be made but the point of this thread is to ask what needs to be done to make the cb7 comparable to other "higher end" cars as to high speed safety.

I'm not saying I want to do this, so let's keep it hypothetical. I REALLY am curious as to what COULD be done for the cb's, and what are the non-alterable limiters of the cb. Are there some things that can't be changed (within reason)?

The suspension seems to me to be the greatest weakness.

So here's another question, what about the DESIGN of the suspension, like the knuckles? Does the design of the accords control arms and knuckle limit it's ability to handle safely?

remember, let's keep it hypothetical.
                            ____

Comment

I would go through and pretty much make it race spec. It might be overkill but it would def be safe, and well to me it looks cool. You mean bis. if you can ride around with no air in a gutted car just becasue you like to go fast (I would but I share my CB with my dad). I know people tell me that it sucks not having all the creature comforts in a car, to me they are distractions. Make it as simple as possible.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                              "The Turtle"
                              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Working...
                              X