Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Starting problem, need to locate Starter Relay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problem, need to locate Starter Relay.

Just on Friday my car quit starting, but it starts and runs fine with a push which I've been doing 4-5 times a day.

Put on a new starter, nothing.
    Tested ignition switch, it's reading fine.

Leaves 2 possibilities I can come up with:

Some kind of clutch safety switch (can't locate that to test either)
    And the Starter Relay (can't locate it, Haynes says it's below the main relay below the dash on the left, but none of the relays are labeled, and the manual doesn't say which is which.

I called Honda for a price on the relay so I could just guess and check, they don't even know which one it is. So they told me to call Napa for a part number, they didn't know either.

Does anyone know where that starter relay is, or which multi-function relay the starter uses? I'm assuming the main relay is fine because the car runs great with a push start still pullin strong at 187k miles no problems.

Help! lol I'm tired of pushing. Photos or some way to identify would be much appreciated!

I'm new to these cars, but I don't think there is a relay for the starter. That's a lot of power going to it directly from the battery & uses a solenoid to handle the load. The solenoid is part of the starter.

How did you test your key?

Have you had both the old & new starters tested at the store?
    Officially "hilarious mad sarcastic"! Thanks CB74christ for the recognition of my work.

Comment

The relay you're looking for is the main relay. It controls the fuel pump, not the starter.

When you attempt to start the car, listen for the fuel pump. If you hear it, the main relay is fine.

What exactly is the car doing? Is it trying to crank? If so, your starter is (and was) fine. DO you have spark? If not, replace your coil and igniter. Two common things to die on our cars at this age. Do you have fuel? If not, it's the main relay or fuel pump.

Do you have spark and fuel, and it cranks? Try cleaning your battery cables and posts. Corrosion on the battery and cables will make for a weak charge. A good battery, and a car with working components, won't start because the battery can't send full power through the corrosion.

Comment

He said no cranky cranky. "Put on a new starter, nothing."

@ CB7spray - could be the clutch switch like you said.
        Officially "hilarious mad sarcastic"! Thanks CB74christ for the recognition of my work.

Comment

Where does he say it won't crank? He says it won't start...

The last time I had to push start my car, I replaced the starter and battery... It still wouldn't start. Do you know what fixed it? Cleaning the battery cables!

Comment

There is a starter relay on the manuals...it looks like it is to the left of the main relay. I would think the clutch interlock switch is more likely the problem than this relay (assuming it is, in fact, a problem with the starting system). I'm assuming he meant no crank...I would think that's probably why he zeroed in on the starter.
            Last edited by Grin0048; 05-04-2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I replaced my starter unnecessarily... Just going through the more common, easier, less expensive fixes first.

Comment

Yea it's getting fuel and spark, you can hear it and it wouldn't push-start without both anyway.

The battery cables look like the ones on any other car, just a little corroded but hell I'll give cleaning them a try.

The only thing I'm missing is crank, the starter just isn't getting any juice so we couldn't even test the solenoid but it's a new starter anyway so I'm pretty sure it's not the solenoid.

I tested the ignition switch by taking off the panel below the steering wheel and tracing the switch wires to their plug and testing the "starter" and "battery" wires and terminals with a testlight while the key was turned all the way and clutch down, both lit up and are getting voltage this is how the haynes manual said to test it so I did.

The haynes manual mentions a starter relay located somewhere below the PGM-FI main relay, and there should be the cigarette lighter relay right next to it, problem is I can't find the starter relay and it's not labeled or specifically located in the book, and apparently even Honda doesn't know their own relays from what the parts dept. told me.

All the fuses are good, and I've been researching and googling this since it happened and there are a number of accord owners complaining about no-starts and trying to find this relay also, so I'm pretty sure it's this relay whether it be specifically for the starter or a multi-function relay the starter uses.

Comment

Ok, so the starter relay is described as being on the "left side dashboard bracket." It looks to be connected to the same little mount as the chime...so your best bet might be to get the chime to start chiming and find the relay right next to it. The one you are looking for has four wires (2 blk/wht, a blk/grn and a blk). Hope that helps and unless you've already ruled it out, don't discount the clutch pedal switch...the brake switches go bad sometimes and there's no reason to think it doesn't happen with the clutch switches as well.

Comment

Ah, ok. Then perhaps you are looking for the right solution. All too often, people go chasing the wrong things when the answer is much simpler. It seems that you're more thorough than most of the people I'm used to helping on here!

Comment

Originally posted by Grin0048 View Post
                      Ok, so the starter relay is described as being on the "left side dashboard bracket." It looks to be connected to the same little mount as the chime...so your best bet might be to get the chime to start chiming and find the relay right next to it. The one you are looking for has four wires (2 blk/wht, a blk/grn and a blk). Hope that helps and unless you've already ruled it out, don't discount the clutch pedal switch...the brake switches go bad sometimes and there's no reason to think it doesn't happen with the clutch switches as well.
                      I've been looking for the connector with 2 blk/wht, blk/grn, and blk, haven't been able to find it by just looking under. Is there something I have to take off like the steering column or the whole dash board to get to this?

Haven't done the clutch pedal switch yet, but at least I know where that is so I'll test it tomorrow since I'm about to go to work, better yet I'll just bring my test-light with me and test it when I get my break. It should only get voltage with the clutch fully depressed, right?

Deevergote - Yes, I try everything I know before asking for help as a last resort, thanks guys you're the best

Comment

Just a quick bump, hoping for response to whether or not I need to remove steering column or dash board to get to that starter relay incase the clutch safety switch tests good. Tomorrow's my only day off til Sunday so it's gotta be fixed.

Actually if it's near the chime I should just need to remove the lower steering column cover right below the wheel right?

Comment

You can drop the steering column without removing it. I'm not sure where the relay is, but if it's beyond the main relay, you may need to do that to get to it. I can barely get to the main relay myself.

Comment

Dont forget evrybody, our cars have a little rubber bump stop on the clutch pedal that hits the clutch switch. Look for a little wierd piece of rubber in your floorboard thatis the same color as your interior. If that stop degraded and fell out (like a lot of ours have), you are not pushing in the clutch switch when you press the pedal. You can't fix this with the clutch pedal bracket in place. If you get under the dash at the right position you can see where this contact is supposed to happen. If the stop fell out you can fix with a penny and some epoxy over the hole in the clutch braket. You may want to screw the switch in a 1/2 to a full turn to make sure you will get contact when you put it all back in. I dont think you can even adjust the switch with the pedal in place. Identify it as the clutch switch. Put the car in neutral. Set the parking brake, and use a jumper wire from the battery positive to the start wire post on the starter. If the key is on it should start. Key off it will only turn over. Could still be the strt relay, but I would look to the upper rear part of the clutch pedal bracket first. It may be easier to see if you drop the cruise control module( big silver box) first. Assuming you have cruise.
                            Last edited by 93accdpj; 05-06-2009, 12:27 PM.
                            My inferiority complex isn't as good as yours.

Comment

The clutch switch tested bad so we'll see what happens when I get a new one put in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X