Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Struts & Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struts & Springs

So my rear struts are blown. I'd like some struts that are a little stiffer than stock and I'd like to go a little lower but I'm pretty short on money.

There are Tokico HP rears on Craigslist for $120, is that a good deal?

I was looking at KYB GR2s because they're $190 shipped for all four on eBay but I believe they're just a gas stock replacement right?

Would it be better to get nice struts and cheaper springs or nice springs and cheaper struts?

Underground.Society
    Originally posted by Deevergote
    If it doesn't really matter... shut the fuck up and let it be.

Tokico HP is also just a stock replacement. If you want to go cheap, the GR2s have a good reputation for holding up to a drop.

The price difference between cheap springs and good springs is only about $100... and it DOES matter. I would get good springs (H&R, Neuspeed, Tein), and the best struts you can afford. Koni Yellows are well worth the money. KYB AGX... I'm not a fan.

I would go for good springs and GR2s if money is tight. Good springs and Koni Yellows if you can afford it.

Comment

Yeah the Koni Yellows are a little much, I'll probably go with the GR2s. What's a good drop height? I do mostly city driving and the roads are pretty shitty around my city, plus my school has really bad speed bumps. I would rather have it stiffer than lower, but lower would be nice too.

Are there any reasonably priced coilovers?

Underground.Society

Comment

Originally posted by guitarplayer825 View Post
        Are there any reasonably priced coilovers?
        Function & Form Type-I's.

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Well dayum, I just found DropZone Gen II struts with DropZone coilovers for $300 on eBay. I think I'm gonna have to go with these haha

Underground.Society

Comment

eeeeeh... i run around pittsburgh alot and know alot of cats out there... seen a few dropzone jobs... they're more for appearance than anything performance related... spongy springs and the struts poop out after a year, maybe a little less pending on how you drive
            THOU SHALT NOT SHIT IN DEEVE'S WHEATIES

Comment

when you put in the springs/dampers, make sure your sway bar bushings/linkages are still attached; they tend to get a little worn after 20 years.

I vote for good springs and good dampers; save up for another month and buy the better set; it is well worth it at the end.

Tein Htechs on Koni Yellows gets my vote; oh and a good pair of sway bars.
              DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by guitarplayer825 View Post
                Well dayum, I just found DropZone Gen II struts with DropZone coilovers for $300 on eBay. I think I'm gonna have to go with these haha
                I'll take a dump in a box and send it to you for $250.

Dropzone is absolute GARBAGE. Don't play with cheap crap when it comes to suspension or brakes... that's your life riding on those things.

Comment

Drops are nice, but dropzones + City = Not a good idea. I measured my front end compared to a stock Cb, and I'm at a 2.4" drop, and it's terrible. Dropzone's are 2.25, but that's no better. I JUST bought a new header, and already bottom'd out and put a dent in it down in Baltimore city. This is the second freakin' header because of this. I'd say no more than 2. Especially on gr2's. I've heard good things about them, but that's on 1.5 to 2.0" drops. I also heard by many, that the dropzones are quite bouncy. (I wanted a set of these about a year ago, and after reading about them, I'm definitely going with Sprint's). Still doing research on the drops though. It's been over a year of research, because of the areas I drive in. I'm also not going cheap this time. I made the mistake of throwing some Ebay coilovers on stock struts, and what a disaster that was. Put some money into the setup. You won't regret it. You don't wanna get a set of struts that you don't think are going to hold your drop, and will fail after a year.
                  98' Mustang 3V Swap
                  11' VW CC R36

Comment

Is it alright to change one strut at a time if money is tight? Thats what I'm going to eventually do, but I wanted to know if I could do them individually, or if I should get both the rear at the same time, and both the front later.

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

Comment

I think in any case you should get all four for safety and an equall ride... I would definately get everything you need 1st.

Comment

love my gr-2s with my 2"drop
                        just my imo

Comment

Well i personaly agree with everyone on here that says to save up. you have no idea how bad i want and need my suspension but im saving for the function and forr type 1. theyre going for 555 out here and i heard great things about them. so i say, wait till you have enough for a good one, cause then youre gonna end up spending more later down the road, and especially if you have something now. just wait

whats a good pair of sway bars? what do you have?
                          The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
                          James 4:7
                          Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Comment

Originally posted by konig52r View Post

wow, not looking for a drop with this set up are you?

ill agree, just save up and get some function and forums

but then, i dropped my shit for 280bucks...and its nice

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
                              wow, not looking for a drop with this set up are you?

ill agree, just save up and get some function and forums

but then, i dropped my shit for 280bucks...and its nice
                              LMAO! no if would have read the top, i said i was saving up for some f&f type 1. i qouted that. sorry didnt put the qoute things
                              The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
                              James 4:7
                              Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X