Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

K24Z3 Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K24Z3 Pistons

Can a f22a6 be safely bored to accept 87mm K24Z3 pistons from an 09 tsx, or if there may need to be work done on the pistons to make clearance. Im just reading trying to figure out what might work. .. off to find a compression ratio calculator, and try to find information on connecting rod journal radii..
    1989 cressida: Polycog diesel ultracharged, high tension muffler bearings, Manestically spaced pivot bearings, High definition halogen fluid, Flourescently scored bio-fuel seperator, flux capacitor and a Sega Genesis hooked up to a 9" b/w tv via cable to antenna converter.

Why use brittle OEM pistons if you're going to do that sort of work? Just get quality aftermarket forged pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
      Why use brittle OEM pistons if you're going to do that sort of work? Just get quality aftermarket forged pistons.
      Because it's a cheap alternative to higher compression and more displacement. Plus, the newer Honda pistons are a lot stronger than the older ones, or so it seems. K series can handle some good power stock.

Kinda like using vitaras in D series. Fucking best thing since sliced cheese.

To the OP, it probably isn't very safe to bore out your stock F sleeves to 87mm. You'd be better off using an F23 block.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Still, to bore a block only to use OEM pistons... If the pistons are new, they'll be within a couple hundred dollars of a higher quality set.

To me, if you're going to take an engine apart, it only makes sense to put the best stuff you can in there so you don't have to do it again! OEM K series pistons are great in a K series, but stuffing them into an F doesn't scream reliability in my book. For that kind of money and custom work, I'd sooner just put a K24 in my car!

Sorry to the OP for jumping on the idea and not answering the question. Thanks Jose for answering.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
          Still, to bore a block only to use OEM pistons... If the pistons are new, they'll be within a couple hundred dollars of a higher quality set.

To me, if you're going to take an engine apart, it only makes sense to put the best stuff you can in there so you don't have to do it again! OEM K series pistons are great in a K series, but stuffing them into an F doesn't scream reliability in my book. For that kind of money and custom work, I'd sooner just put a K24 in my car!

Sorry to the OP for jumping on the idea and not answering the question. Thanks Jose for answering.
          If you're not doing it yourself it WILL cost a lot of money. Rebuilding a motor with stock parts costs under $500.

It's also not that much work. It's more work to swap an engine. Building engines is pretty straight forward. It's only the people that don't have a single clue about what they're talking about that ever say it's a lot of work and not worth it.

Comment

Yeah, but he's talking about boring out to fit the pistons. Rebuilding with stock replacement parts is one thing. The most you have to do is measure to get the right size... But when it comes to custom modification just to fit something in, why go with stock stuff? New won't be saving that much money, and used would be... well... dumb!

The amount of work necessary to bore the block and properly fit the pistons will make it a fairly expensive endeavour. I don't see the point in using OEM pistons to cut costs... For a little more, you can get higher quality parts, made to whatever specifications you want.

Comment

You don't see the point in a lot of things. Probably because you've never dove into the actual mechanics of engines and the fun in building something great for cheap.

Comment

Very true. I tend to overplan things and intimidate myself.

But that doesn't deflate my argument that it WILL take a lot of expensive work to do what the OP is asking about... therefore, making the use of inexpensive parts pointless... as it will NOT be done for cheap. If they would fit in the stock block and raise compression, then I would understand. But because the block would need some attention from a machine shop (and at that drastic of a bore, resleeving would be very wise... or, as you said, going with a different block altogether...) it adds a considerable amount of work, planning, and cost to the equation.

If you can get new K pistons for $250, why not spend $400 and get some "budget" forged aftermarket pieces instead? $150 more for stronger parts... that can be made in any size you'd like (which could mean you wouldn't need to bore to 87mm... you dictate the piston size, the piston size doesn't dictate the bore size)

Comment

Then pay another $300+ for rods and still needs machine work, if you're not confident enough to bore it yourself.

In the end, you may have more compression, but that displacement is still not completely there.

Comment

Are the K pistons going to work with the F22 rods? Or the F23 rods? Or will the K rods (which must also be purchased) fit?
                    I know that this is an issue that the OP has not yet addressed, and he mentioned that... but still.

And yeah, the displacement isn't necessarily going to be there, but you said it yourself, boring the F22 block to 87mm is not a great idea. The only ways around that would be to POSSIBLY resleeve the block, so you'd have a stronger material making up those thinner cylinder walls, or get an F23 block. Now, unless those things are somehow free... that'd be a considerable cost.

To make the motor reliable, I don't see how the K24 piston route is going to be any better in terms of cost OR reliability than a proper aftermarket setup. Creative, yes... but that's about it.

Comment

Definitely not reliable in an F22 block.

An f23 or H block..now that's a different story.

And the F rods can be modified to work with K pistons, or you can use obd2 rods(all floating wrist pin).

Comment

the costs isn't as much as your thinking..

1.the pistons don't have 2 be new..what matters is that new rings are used.(obviously)

2.the boring/honing/decking of a block isn't as expensive as you'd think. It varies from place to place, so I won't just throw a price out there but definetly no were near what I take it you think it is.

3.k series components are very stout stock k20as can rangle up 350-400whp reliably on stock block. Hell it took 44psi for cheesefrog(look it up on youtube) to grenade his completely stock k20a. So if this engine is entended for all motor, it will do just fine. You'll have other problems to worry about (r/s ratio. And pencil thin f23a rods)

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

I think yall are right, I should look into performance pistons for the f22, I should stop getting ahead of myself and wait till I have my block in front of me and tore down, then see what can be done. I really need to find a good reliable machinist around here
                          1989 cressida: Polycog diesel ultracharged, high tension muffler bearings, Manestically spaced pivot bearings, High definition halogen fluid, Flourescently scored bio-fuel seperator, flux capacitor and a Sega Genesis hooked up to a 9" b/w tv via cable to antenna converter.

Comment

deev hates mixing oem parts from motor lines not intended for that motor rather it is k pistons in a f or h22 heads on a f series. lol as for 87mm on a f22 i wouldn't do it but here in nashive there is a guy running h22 type s gutts crank rods and pistons in a f22 block with a h22 head and it has been a daily driver for two years now so i guess it will be okay to bore to 87 but not recomended.

Comment

I'm only against it with the F and H motors. B series franks, K series franks... all good.

I have yet to see an H/F frank that remains truly reliable, and provides a benefit over a full H or full F motor.
                              I also don't see the point in any "performance" build that requires removing the stock internals to be replaced by MORE STOCK INTERNALS.

That really is just my opinion, though. People have used K series internals in F blocks with success... to me, it's just not worth it, unless you happen to have the spare parts on hand, and feel like playing with a project car.

Comment

Working...
                              X