Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Short Ram Intake or Cold Air Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short ram all the way. Whoever says it does NOTHING is full of it. The CAI bogs the bottom end down where most people want the pick up anyways. Who the hell cares about the top end when driving on the streets?? Its not like ANYWHERE in the US has a speed limit of 130+mph. Seriously.....

I agree with the bypass though it is a waste of money and a way for them to make money for a useless product.

If your submerging your car in water buy a boat or seal it up and get a snorkel
    "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
    sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
    Did work for: jhoff_cb7
    Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

Originally posted by JDMCB3Si View Post
      short ram all the way. Whoever says it does NOTHING is full of it. The CAI bogs the bottom end down where most people want the pick up anyways. Who the hell cares about the top end when driving on the streets?? Its not like ANYWHERE in the US has a speed limit of 130+mph. Seriously.....

I agree with the bypass though it is a waste of money and a way for them to make money for a useless product.

If your submerging your car in water buy a boat or seal it up and get a snorkel
      i never said it did nothing, my bottom end is the same with both sooooooo. nobody rides around doing 130+ mph hahahahah come on dude
      UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
      NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex View Post
        my car pulls alot harder with the CAI, even though the SRI is just as good. it tends to ........................ out in the topend.
        i can kinda feel it in my car i got a short ram cuz i got short funds lol i made a pun but i digress the short ram helps in bottom end. i left those old hoses in my felder from my old air box and it just dawned upon me that it probably lets a little cold air into my bay near the air filter so that may help but it is minuscule

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
        And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
        Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
          you live in tx you should know better

CAI WILL suck up water if you hit a big puddle...and in tx...that's almost anywhere I've hit several such puddles all the time...course I live out in the kuntree

BUT usually it is folks that have them right by the ground that have issues...my issue with cai placing is that unless your fender liner is pristine you will get kick up from the tires...that is a LOT of shit. Fender liners are always shit dirty cause of road dirt. Your filter goes to shit quick...
          I agree and disagree. I had a cai in my Legend with no fender liner. One morning I hit a huge puddle and the cone did suck up water and I lost almost all power for about 30 secs and my car was smoking white smoke. However, my cone didn't get shit dirty even though it was exposed. I still vote for cai. I agree with 1991f22. Its pointless to have a sri and a cai with a bpv cuz you will be sucking up hot air from the engine bay.

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

2004 Z33 - Brembo BBK, Nismo spoiler, Nismo lip, Nismo shift knob, AEM CAI

Comment

they both have good things/bad things. in the end its what you choose to use,
            UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
            NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

go with short intake

Comment

I got some good news today... my home bought a filer i think iw a aem so i just need the intake!!!! CAI or SRI????? i just want my engine to look better!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                  you live in tx you should know better

CAI WILL suck up water if you hit a big puddle...and in tx...that's almost anywhere I've hit several such puddles all the time...course I live out in the kuntree

BUT usually it is folks that have them right by the ground that have issues...my issue with cai placing is that unless your fender liner is pristine you will get kick up from the tires...that is a LOT of shit. Fender liners are always shit dirty cause of road dirt. Your filter goes to shit quick

That is my only real gripe with cai...well that and it's a misnomer.
                  i havent had any problem with mine because it is concealed, not exposed. i have the fender liner, and the plastic piece from the bumper to fender liner, which i explained as what i call the splash gaurd because the filter is located right above it. if you do things right you wont have a problem. im sure there might be diff between sri and cai but i wont find out bcuz to me the sri is pointless. i can deff tell the diff when im driving on a cool texas night. my car seems to want to get up and go and i love it! plus if u buy the cai u can just take off the pipe which locates the filter in the fender, and viola! you have an sri :P
                  look at where the filter is located. with the bag on it that is waterproof and the fender liner protecting it, it WILL NOT suck up water!!!
                  and quite obvioulsy the bumper is mounted in front of it. fyi
                  Last edited by 1991f22a1; 04-07-2009, 09:52 PM.
                  I LOVE My CB7

Comment

technically there's no such thing as a cold air intake... you can really call it a long ram intake instead of short ram...lol. the advantages to an aftermarket intake from a stock airboot is the more direct airflow. But all that air that just ran through your "cold air intake" is going to warm up running through the tube due to surrounding engine heat (you can make heatshields to deflect some heat and help it a little bit) and the intake manifold heats it up also. thats one of the main purposes of the coolant lines running through your intake. yes cooler air is better for combustion but there's nothing cold about it.

Comment

i undestando now so the CAI its better tahn SRI but i just want my engine to look bling!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dannycb7 View Post
                        i undestando now so the CAI its better tahn SRI but i just want my engine to look bling!!!!
                        lol with the "bling" and that is true the piping does get warm, maybe even downright hot. but at least the origianl air was cooler than the air in the engine bay. i love my cai it was an easy diy and i noticed more of a pull when i put it on. not arguing just sharing opinions. to each his own to me my cai
                        I LOVE My CB7

Comment

Originally posted by 1991f22a1 View Post
                          a short ram intake doesnt do any good.
                          come on now. do you know anything about resonating air? do you know anything about tuning the length of an intake to put air where you want it when you want it there? do you know that the best length pipe to work its best at 6000 rpm's is only 13.5"? that's pretty "short" compared to your full cold air. lets say you have a full cold air. what makes you think that the air in it stays that cool all the way to the valves? almost all of the pipe is in the hot ambient air of the bay. straight up piping doesn't do too awful much to repel all that heat. the temp of the air at the valves probably isn't very different at all between a full cold air and a short ram. the length of the pipe is more of a "where does the intake perform best at in the rpm's" thing, not a "intake air temperature" thing.
                          OHIO CB7'S #11
                          SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

Originally posted by jacobuchanan140 View Post
                            come on now. do you know anything about resonating air? do you know anything about tuning the length of an intake to put air where you want it when you want it there? do you know that the best length pipe to work its best at 6000 rpm's is only 13.5"? that's pretty "short" compared to your full cold air. lets say you have a full cold air. what makes you think that the air in it stays that cool all the way to the valves? almost all of the pipe is in the hot ambient air of the bay. straight up piping doesn't do too awful much to repel all that heat. the temp of the air at the valves probably isn't very different at all between a full cold air and a short ram. the length of the pipe is more of a "where does the intake perform best at in the rpm's" thing, not a "intake air temperature" thing.
                            you know, im not guna lie or pretend, i honestly dont know every dimension of an intake or filter. but what i do know is that it just seems pointless to suck hot engine air into the hot pipe that transfers to the hot mani. YES, TRUE, it may not be "COLD" air like ice but it seems like it makes more sense to me to relocate the filter to a "COOLER" spot than right next to your 6000RPM revving engine. an engines worst enemy is HEAT. all this is making me curious to take off the section of pipe that relocates the filter and mount the filter in the engine bay to actually see if i feel any diff. either way the SRI or CAI is a def. improvement over the stock airbox.

anndd....i read a thread about people wrapping they're intakes with exhaust wrap....would that really do any good???
                            I LOVE My CB7

Comment

Originally posted by 1991f22a1 View Post
                              you know, im not guna lie or pretend, i honestly dont know every dimension of an intake or filter. but what i do know is that it just seems pointless to suck hot engine air into the hot pipe that transfers to the hot mani. YES, TRUE, it may not be "COLD" air like ice but it seems like it makes more sense to me to relocate the filter to a "COOLER" spot than right next to your 6000RPM revving engine. an engines worst enemy is HEAT. all this is making me curious to take off the section of pipe that relocates the filter and mount the filter in the engine bay to actually see if i feel any diff. either way the SRI or CAI is a def. improvement over the stock airbox.

anndd....i read a thread about people wrapping they're intakes with exhaust wrap....would that really do any good???
                              think about it. exhaust wrap is a heat barrier. so, if in this case you used a full cai, where the initial air is cooler, and wrapped the length of the pipe in heat resistant material, the temperature of the air entering the intake manifold would be very close if not the same as when it first entered the tube. personally, this is yet to be tested, but in theory it delivers a cooler charge to at least the manifold. paired with a bisimoto or hondata IM gasket i'm sure it would make for a decent intake setup.
                              OHIO CB7'S #11
                              SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

Originally posted by jacobuchanan140 View Post
                                think about it. exhaust wrap is a heat barrier. so, if in this case you used a full cai, where the initial air is cooler, and wrapped the length of the pipe in heat resistant material, the temperature of the air entering the intake manifold would be very close if not the same as when it first entered the tube. personally, this is yet to be tested, but in theory it delivers a cooler charge to at least the manifold. paired with a bisimoto or hondata IM gasket i'm sure it would make for a decent intake setup.
                                why would you want to use a bisi or hondata gasket? whats the diff between those and oem honda? i know were getting but im curious.....
                                im in the middle of a mani swap tooo....a6 runners and spacer with the h23 plenum and TB....anxiously awaiting the h23 parts.......
                                I LOVE My CB7

Comment

Working...
                                X