Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Muffler Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler Modification

I want to modify the oem muffler...basically im thinking of using 2.5 inch mandrell bent exhaust piping under the car with the casing of the oem muffler and modified oem exhaust tips. Anyone know about opening up the muffler and installing something more efficient? Any ideas or suggestions?

just get a single in, dual out turbo style muffler, paint it black and put the oem tips on it. it will flow much better and still look stock.
    1990 Frost White EX Coupe F23A1 - PART OUT
    01 DC4

Comment

Not a fan of those...its gota look stock, im building a low key car...

Comment

Originally posted by abs-lsd View Post
        Cut open the stock muffler, cut everything out, weld muffler back together. (If you don't mind noise.)

Edit:
        Or weld in a straight pipe connecting the inlet and outlet and pack the muffler with fiberglass, essentially making it into a stock looking glasspack.
        Last edited by JoshM; 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM.

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Just get a muffler tip on

Comment

Originally posted by abs-lsd View Post
            it will look stock. you can't see most of the OEM muffler from behind.
            1990 Frost White EX Coupe F23A1 - PART OUT
            01 DC4

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk View Post
              it will look stock. you can't see most of the OEM muffler from behind.
              i agree... really all you can see is the tips.. unless you get under it and look..

Comment

Originally posted by Joshs92ex View Post
                Cut open the stock muffler, cut everything out, weld muffler back together. (If you don't mind noise.)

Edit:
                Or weld in a straight pipe connecting the inlet and outlet and pack the muffler with fiberglass, essentially making it into a stock looking glasspack.
                Those are the best options.
                Another option is to find a factory muffler from another car with a larger outlet. It won't be CB7-stock, but it'll still be an OEM muffler, not an aftermarket coffee can. The RSX-S muffler has been a popular choice in the past. Maybe something from a turbo car would have a 2.5" inlet and outlet...

You should look into getting a long resonator or two, whatever you can fit, to reduce the noise. Looking low-key won't help if you're loud!

Finally, my last thought would be to run the stock muffler with an electronic exhaust cutout. When you want speed, you open the cutout and run a muffler-less 2.5" pipe. When it's closed, you might as well be stock.

Comment

Hmm the cut out seems to be my best option thanks

Comment

I also would definately recommend the cut-out option. I wish I had gone this route on my prelude years ago. I hate how loud my exhaust is lol. Plus cut-outs are fairly cheap and easy for an exhaust shop to weld on.

Comment

Working...
                    X