Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replacing my shocks, how hard is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing my shocks, how hard is it?

Like the title says, I'm replacing my shocks and springs with dropzone coilovers and shocks. $300 sounds pretty good for some basic shocks and springs. I was wondering how hard it is to replace the shocks on my car though. How about on a scale of 1-10. I have the haynes manual to help, but does anyone have a good guide they could point me to?

*cough* struts
    if you have never doen this get help

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
      *cough* struts
      if you have never doen this get help
      I've never done this because I don't work at a shop, and I've never had to do them. Are they that hard?

Comment

theres a diy around here
        i took them to a freind and he did it for me

Comment

they arent hard but u needs to take the springs and struts to a shop and have them r and r the new springs on. or go to autozone and get a cheap spring compressor.
          278 whp 266 wtq.
          build thread. CLICK HERE
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=126819

Comment

Get a spring compressor, its pretty cheap you could rent on at tire plus or at a shop. just make sure you get them all equal. also if you havent done it befor read up on it... lol these things r serious. if you dont know what ur doing those springs will kill you. read up on it and then try it or if your a lil scared about it then dont do it. i got mine replaced for 80 bucks which is i dunno i guess not 2 expensive considering the danger of the labor.

Comment

Originally posted by coupe View Post
              they arent hard but u needs to take the springs and struts to a shop and have them r and r the new springs on. or go to autozone and get a cheap spring compressor.

Word... It is real easy if you have the right tools. If you are going to do this you might aswell get some lowering springs or coilovers. Kill two birds with one stone man.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
              PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_CB7_TX View Post
                Word... It is real easy if you have the right tools. If you are going to do this you might aswell get some lowering springs or coilovers. Kill two birds with one stone man.
                I am going to order the struts and coilover package made by dropzone.

Can anyone link me to a DIY on coilovers? I assume you compress them to the measurement you want and tighten the coilover thing so it stays like that.

Comment

i did my 4 corners in under 3 hours and i never did it before. you need a spring compressor though, and depending if your going to reuse your stock top mount you'll have to take the old springs off the old shocks, installing the new springs you may not need to compress them. If everything goes good, like no seized bolts and you have a general knowledge of mechanics its actually really easy.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7devin View Post
                    i did my 4 corners in under 3 hours and i never did it before. you need a spring compressor though, and depending if your going to reuse your stock top mount you'll have to take the old springs off the old shocks, installing the new springs you may not need to compress them. If everything goes good, like no seized bolts and you have a general knowledge of mechanics its actually really easy.
                    Awesome, thanks for the positive input

I'll make sure to post some pics when I get them.

Here is the ebay auction I was looking at, do you guys think they look good for a cheap setup?
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DropZ...3A1|240%3A1318
                    Last edited by slow_cb7; 03-23-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

First time, yes.

Comment

for a cheap setup, not bad, i guess

Comment

Originally posted by slow_cb7 View Post
                          Awesome, thanks for the positive input

I'll make sure to post some pics when I get them.

Here is the ebay auction I was looking at, do you guys think they look good for a cheap setup?
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DropZ...3A1|240%3A1318

Oh its black now before it was red/white.
                          I heard those are not bad for the price.

Comment

Hello
                            You are about to turn your car into ride like shit zone
                            a 300 dollars dropzone coilover will last about 3 to 6 months. After that your car ride like shit
                            save the money
                            Read the forum, research and write it down what you need to low your car with
                            a nice suspension setup will run about 550 to 700, and you are 1/2 way there
                            Take time don't rush
                            Last edited by 94Si; 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM.
                            scion Tc
                            HONDA FIT

Comment

Dropzone makes absolute GARBAGE. I wouldn't get cheap suspension components. That's your life riding on that junk.

If you want to go cheap, get KYB GR2 struts and some springs made by Eibach, Tein, H&R, or Neuspeed. A used set of springs by those quality makers would be better than brand new garbage.

Also, don't forget to get a camber kit, and have your wheels aligned... or you'll be buying new tires VERY quickly. Replace any worn suspension components while you're at it as well... ball joints are VERY important, and if the boots are ripped, they need to be replaced. A failed ball joint can kill you.

Comment

Working...
                              X