Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

sports mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sports mode

what is the sport mode for a automatic accord do??...does it affect any one the driving and shifting??

all it really does is hold it from shifting sooner then it would in normal mode.

'90 Accord EX

Comment

It shifts later at partial throttle. Full throttle is always the same.

Honestly, it's absolutely worthless. It was discontinued for the 92-93 models.

Comment

Also I have heard that sports mode really only works in D3. It's a very stupid feature. just manually shift it.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
        Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
        My member's ride

Comment

Originally posted by AbsurdNY View Post
          Also I have heard that sports mode really only works in D3. It's a very stupid feature. just manually shift it.
          how would i manually shift it, just working up from the lowest gear?
          is it good for the transmission continually shifting gears in an auto?

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily say it's bad, just from experience. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but for the track so you can hold it in gear longer and get the full power out of the top end, instead of it shifting at 5800-6000. I've been doing it for about 2 1/2 years now, and nothin' wrong with the tranny, but I'm not an idiot about it. I don't slam it from D4 to D1. When I stop at a light in d4 or d3, I slowly put it into d2. Then d1. Then make my way back up again. I also let off the gas during each shift. Iuno, something that grew on me. It's pretty sad when you've perfected an Automatic, enough to have people SWEAR it's a 5 speed. There's kids in Altoona that I've talked to for Months, and they're just now figuring out it's an Automatic. Everytime I get on it, I have it perfected enough to actually have it bounce off the limiter just once, to where it sounds like an actual shift, without taking my foot off the gas. But then you have your idiots, that have no idea what they're doing, and rip their shifter cable right out of the floor. I do have a squeaking noise everytime I put it into gear now, probably wearing it out, but oh well. I have the h23 tranny swap in mind anyway.
            Last edited by Gotz Cb7; 03-19-2009, 08:55 AM.
            98' Mustang 3V Swap
            11' VW CC R36

Comment

Manually shifting an auto for daily driving will eventually wear things out. It's also not good to force it into higher RPMs and then drop it into the next gear, as that can wear things out quickly as well. Our auto transmissions are old, most aren't properly maintained (fluid changes are rarely done as they should be, and proper fluid is often not used when it IS done), and they aren't all that robust to begin with.

The creator of this site had an autp H22 before he swapped to manual. He said that he actually ran faster at the track when he let the auto shift on its own.

Comment

lol yeh il stick to not shifting,lol
                by the way, is the 'sports' option any good?
                ive never really used it

Comment

It's pretty much worthless. Higher RPM shifts at partial throttle... doesn't really do all that much but waste more gas. If you floor it in either mode, you're going to shift at the same point regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                    Manually shifting an auto for daily driving will eventually wear things out. It's also not good to force it into higher RPMs and then drop it into the next gear, as that can wear things out quickly as well. Our auto transmissions are old, most aren't properly maintained (fluid changes are rarely done as they should be, and proper fluid is often not used when it IS done), and they aren't all that robust to begin with.

The creator of this site had an autp H22 before he swapped to manual. He said that he actually ran faster at the track when he let the auto shift on its own.
                    fair enough
                    im just curious so that i have all the chances of beating some1 and showing them what cb7's are made of...
                    not really, my car is stock..but i must admit, they definately have balls either way

Comment

It's really not any good.

like mentioned above it just makes the shift intervals longer

IT IS NOT A VTAKPOWA, TURBO, OR NAWS BUTTON

it's just another button that they decided to let you have so you can push it and mess up your car.

I say it's probably only helpful if you are entering the freeway and need to catch up a little quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by mappyCB7 View Post
                        I say it's probably only helpful if you are entering the freeway and need to catch up a little quicker.
                        Not even... if you need to go fast, you go full throttle... and there should be no difference between sport and regular at full throttle. If you're going partial throttle and hoping not to get hit... then you're just dumb.

The BEST thing to do is change the transmission fluid regularly. Every 15,000 miles or so, especially if you drive in a hilly area on a regular basis. Only use Honda ATF, as the Honda transmissions are very picky. Your car will shift as smooth as possible with clean, proper fluid.

Plus, when you shift manually, you're really just telling the computer that you want it to shift. You're not really doing anything directly as you would with a manual.

Comment

I like the sport mode. Keeps it from shifting 4th when im going about 30-35 which drops it down to about 1.5k RPM which is horrible because there is no power at that low of RPM.

I prefer to manually shift it when i'm feeling sporty. The gears feel more solid, just don't down downshift, that will wear it out.
                          wat?

Comment

Castrol will work too. It's a ATF for high performance cars. I've been running my gearbox only with this for the last 11 years and I'm still satisfied with it.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multi...tentId=7027191

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
                            My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

There is an added benefit to the sports mode, it keeps you closer to the power band when your driving around in city. Its good for hilly conditions, and driving up mountains, its even good for when its raining outside and you maintain better traction by using the engines resistance. Other then for those reasons yes it is pretty much worthless. No different at WOT. In Sports mode Partial throttle will downshift at 2600, instead of 2200 in Normal Mode. The only real shifting I do is i'll downshift from d4/d3 to do use the engine to assist braking and maintaining traction. In slippery roads also you have better traction while corning if you have the breaks lightly applied with proper throttle control.
                              PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Working...
                              X