Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator

car has a slow start few days ago and today it won't even start which I think it need new alternator.
    Has brand new battery.
    But I have no idea how to take it off.

Any idea how to take it off? Any DIY?

You have power steering? We just pulled the top bolt of the power steering out, and lifted it up to get to the alternator. It's a tight fit, but just take your time. Once you get in there, you'll see what you have to unscrew.

The sign of an alternator being bad, is your battery draining. If it's turning over like it should, but just not starting, then your alternator should be good. When an alternator's bad, it just uses your battery for power, which will slowly kill it.
    98' Mustang 3V Swap
    11' VW CC R36

Comment

Originally posted by Gotz Cb7 View Post
      You have power steering? We just pulled the top bolt of the power steering out, and lifted it up to get to the alternator. It's a tight fit, but just take your time. Once you get in there, you'll see what you have to unscrew.

The sign of an alternator being bad, is your battery draining. If it's turning over like it should, but just not starting, then your alternator should be good. When an alternator's bad, it just uses your battery for power, which will slowly kill it.
      Yes I have power steering.
      Battery is dead now, jump start but no good.

Comment

How many bolt? Is there a step by step?

Comment

Originally posted by CO-jack View Post
          How many bolt? Is there a step by step?
          yeah this would be great for me too

Originally posted by jhondayaaj
          too bad seattle silver's are the best.
          ACCORD MEET MAY 29th 2010

Comment

There is like 4 bolts or 6. You have the tensioners bolts and the power steering and than the alternators.
            "The greatest loyalty in life is, above all, to thine own Self be true."

Facebook
            MySpace
            My Ride

Comment

You should not need a DIY to take the alternator out. It is very easy. Just un-do the power steering bolts then pull the power steering up out of the way, take off the ground wire and alternator connector, loosen the small bolts on the alternator tensioner and then loosen the main alternator bolts.

I would say the hardest part about doing this job is getting the bottom main bolt back into the alternator because you have a limited amount of space. You have to kinda "feel" the bolt in.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
              Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
              My member's ride

Comment

Loosen the adjuster bolt which is attatched/scewed on the tensioner bolt on the power steering pump, 10mm on the front of the pump. The loosen the nut on the tensioner bolt and the pivot bolt. I think both of them are 12mm hex head. Take out the tension on the belt until you can remove it from the pump and crank pulley. Then remove the pump out of the way without removing any hydraulic lines.

The alternator is basically the same principle as of the pump. Disconnect the (-) pole onm the battery, then disconnect the 2 power cables on the alternator. Loosen the adjuster bolt which is attatche on the adjuster stay and tensioner bolt. Loosen the Pivot bolt (14mm) and the nut on the tensioner bolt (12mm). Loosen the adjuster bolt again until you can slide off the belt out of the alternator, AC compressor and crankshaft pulley. There is a "pinch sleeve washer" on the bracket where the pivot bolt passes thru. You can pry it out towards the bracket to take out and put in the alternator easily on the bracket. To take out the alternator, just take out the pivot and tensioner bolt off. Remember the orientation of the bolts for ease of re-installation.

Re-installation is basically revesre procedure on both, PS pump and alternator.
                Mount with the pivot bolt on top then put it the tensioner bolt and nut on the bottom properly attatched and assembled to the adjuster bolt on the front. Do not tighten the pivot bolt and nut on the tensioner bolt. Put in the belt on the pulleys. Tighten the adjuster bolt to apply tension on the belt which is about 8-10mm of deflection on a new belt. I suggest you use a ne set of belts since you are working on it already. When you have the proper tension on the belt, tighten the tensioner nut on the bottom then tighten the pivot bolt. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN they can easily get stripped specially the nut.

I hope this help. It does not seem to be as hard as explained. When you are at it. It is straight forward. Just pay attention on the orientation of the tensioner/adjuster bolt and how the two belts wrapped on the pulleys before removing them for ease of re-installinng them. If it makes you feel better of taking a photo before removal then do that, so you have something to look back if you get in a bind.

Comment

Thats the way to do it. Very detailed even without any pictures. This is a very good DIY.
                  Sig removed due to excessive size

Comment

Thanks man. Anything to help our fellow members is just a token of appreciation of the site of how it helped me in so many things.

Comment

my instruction book says stop reading how to do it and go get your hands dirty and learn that way.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                      member ride thread
                      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by 9tAkord View Post
                        Loosen the adjuster bolt which is attatched/scewed on the tensioner bolt on the power steering pump, 10mm on the front of the pump. The loosen the nut on the tensioner bolt and the pivot bolt. I think both of them are 12mm hex head. Take out the tension on the belt until you can remove it from the pump and crank pulley. Then remove the pump out of the way without removing any hydraulic lines.

The alternator is basically the same principle as of the pump. Disconnect the (-) pole onm the battery, then disconnect the 2 power cables on the alternator. Loosen the adjuster bolt which is attatche on the adjuster stay and tensioner bolt. Loosen the Pivot bolt (14mm) and the nut on the tensioner bolt (12mm). Loosen the adjuster bolt again until you can slide off the belt out of the alternator, AC compressor and crankshaft pulley. There is a "pinch sleeve washer" on the bracket where the pivot bolt passes thru. You can pry it out towards the bracket to take out and put in the alternator easily on the bracket. To take out the alternator, just take out the pivot and tensioner bolt off. Remember the orientation of the bolts for ease of re-installation.

Re-installation is basically revesre procedure on both, PS pump and alternator.
                        Mount with the pivot bolt on top then put it the tensioner bolt and nut on the bottom properly attatched and assembled to the adjuster bolt on the front. Do not tighten the pivot bolt and nut on the tensioner bolt. Put in the belt on the pulleys. Tighten the adjuster bolt to apply tension on the belt which is about 8-10mm of deflection on a new belt. I suggest you use a ne set of belts since you are working on it already. When you have the proper tension on the belt, tighten the tensioner nut on the bottom then tighten the pivot bolt. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN they can easily get stripped specially the nut.

I hope this help. It does not seem to be as hard as explained. When you are at it. It is straight forward. Just pay attention on the orientation of the tensioner/adjuster bolt and how the two belts wrapped on the pulleys before removing them for ease of re-installinng them. If it makes you feel better of taking a photo before removal then do that, so you have something to look back if you get in a bind.

thank you guys.
                        I will go head and give it a try.

Comment

alternator belt

but can someonr tell me how to change the alternator belt i really need help ...thankzz

Comment

fuel pump

Comment

Working...
                            X