Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

axle, tranny, slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axle, tranny, slipping

So, Friday got my axle replaced. Driver side to be exact. My tranny's NEVER slipped, ever. It doesn't jerk, it's driven like it was brand new the whole 2 years I've had it, and the 3 before that when my dad owned it. Now, I drove to Wv Saturday, (day after the axle replacement), and it did fine. Me and my buddy drove around a little, put another 60 miles on the car, upon the 200 to get to Wv. On the way home this morning, I noticed slipping. It slips into 1st on an easy take off, but once you get on the gas, it grabs. Just seems like it's getting worse pretty quickly.

1. Can the axle being installed improperly, cause this?

2. I checked my fluid, and it was low. Added a 1/2 quart on the way home, and noticed a little better. Now, back to slipping before the addition of the 1/2 quart. Haven't checked the level again, yet. I can't tell if anything's leaking, because it's very wet outside, even under bridges.

Could this be the end of my tranny? Or would it be because the fluid's low? I'm asking this, because I planned on changing the ATF Friday, but I don't see the sense of going to Honda and payin' 50 bucks for 8 quarts (if I change, I'ma change once, run a little rough on it, then change it again), if the tranny's just on it's last limb. If you replace an axle, is there a way of not putting it on tight to the tranny. Meaning, the transmission's turning, but the axle's not grabbing. Iuno, not much into transmissions.
    Last edited by Gotz Cb7; 02-22-2009, 11:09 PM.
    98' Mustang 3V Swap
    11' VW CC R36

Alright, just checked the fluid, and it was low. Added the other 1/2 of the quart, and now it's a little over the bottom line, meaning it still needs a bit more, but it is in between the recommended amount. I'm going to drive to wal mart, 10 miles to and from, and then check it again.

Once again, this problem started occuring a day and a half, and 260 miles later after the driver side axle was replaced. Right now is 2 1/2 days after. Seems like it's leaking, and it has NEVER leaked, or given me any problems before it went into the shop. Could replacing the axle, cause a leak?
    98' Mustang 3V Swap
    11' VW CC R36

Comment

So, came home, checked it, and it was low again. Not sure if I have a leak quite yet, cause when I added some before I left, there was just a little bit on the tip of the dipstick, which coulda got put on there by putting it sideways, blah blah. Tranny did great to and from though, no slips at all. I added another 2/3 of another bottle in after we got back, and now it's half way between the marker on the stick. 1 1/2 quarts basically, and these only hold what, 3? Very odd.

So, this thread has basically turned to, when you're replacing the axle, do you lose transmission fluid? Like, take the axle from the tranny, and fluid comes out? If so, this could sorta be like my overheating problem the first time. I had about a cup of anti-freeze left, and I found this out by replacing my upper radiator hose about a year and a half ago, and about a tea cup full came out of the block, so I figured, what the hell, couldn't damage anything. Oh, sure did. Overheated after driving 15 minutes.

Just wondering if I already had little ATF to begin with, and when they replaced the axle, just a bit coulda came out, and that bit could be because it was low in the first place.
      98' Mustang 3V Swap
      11' VW CC R36

Comment

When you drain the trans, some will drain out of the torque convertor and usually only takes a few minutes for it to refill, then you recheck the level.

If you are having to top it up that much - I suspect the axle seal could be ripped and leaking (the one where you put the axle back in the trans)

Also how have you been checking the level?
        The car should be warm, and once you top it up you need to start the car and run it through the gears and recheck it.
        How much oil have you added in total since you drained it?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

id check the axle seal too...
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I never drained it, that's the thing. Never had a problem, until I left the shop Friday and drove it 250 miles. Seems like it lost a lot of fluid somehow, and everytime I check/added, it was warm. Reason I'm not thinking it's a leak yet, is because of what you're saying Evil. It takes some time to fill into the converter, and I check it like, 15-20 seconds after I add more, and it's on the dipstick.

Well, I thought my tranny was going, but obviously it's not. 1 reason I'm wondering about this, is because I wanna change it on Friday. But I don't wanna change it if I have a leak. If it's leaking, I'll take it back and see what they possibly did wrong.

Tomorrow I'll take it for another spin, then come back and check again, and keep adding. If I end up adding 3 quarts, then I'm definitely leaking. But my thing now, is that I coulda possibly only had 1 quart left, which is why it was slipping. Which is also why I've added 1 2/3 quarts, and it's finally on the middle of the dipstick measure. On the way to and from wal mart, it was perfectly fine. Didn't slip once, and I was giving it some hell here and there just to see.
            98' Mustang 3V Swap
            11' VW CC R36

Comment

Sent you a message about this.

Comment

Working...
              X