Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

h23 hybrid turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h23 hybrid turbo

ok first i have a complete dsm 14b turbo kit etc,
    an f22a1 thats in my accord now and a h23 complete swap,
    question: ok wikipedia.com say that the h23 shares
    the same Fiber Reinforced Metal (FRM) cylinder wall liners
    with the H22a...true or false?

i know that the f22 has iron sleeves, if the h23 doesnt
    have iron sleeves iam gona bore that f22 to 87mm or 86mm to accept
    h23 piston or f23 piston and throw the rest of the internals in there too.
    and would the f22 walls be to thin bored to 87mm or 86mm and put f23a1 pistons to lower compression some? would this be a decent set-up?

fyi using a compression calculator h23 head + f22 block (bored to 86mm) + f23 86mm pistons = 8.6:1 compression/2.21 liters.

Why do you want to mess with internals, you have two great engines for boost application h23 non vtec has FRM walls like H22 but it also has lower compression than that H22 which is good for boost, tune is the key on that motor(look at drummersteve7 build, he is boosting one as we speak)

What you need is better turbo, 14b is only good for 10-12psi and 200-250hp.
    Bigger turbo will give you more room to play, as it won't torture your motor with heat.

Comment

9:1 compression stock is fine on the h23a1.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

booth are good engines stock ur going to waste a lot of money and not get the best of numbers. imo sell h23 and get a t3 t4 turbo kit.

Comment

well which one would be better to boost?
          and would a 16g turbo run cooler?

i have read that a h23 compression is actually 9.8:1
          Last edited by boostbaby; 02-13-2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Resleeving is a must to even think about turboing.
            www.PreludePower.com
            BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Originally posted by boostbaby View Post
              well which one would be better to boost?
              and would a 16g turbo run cooler?

i have read that a h23 compression is actually 9.8:1
              H23 would be better because it's DOHC, tuning for turbo with SOHC is not that great even if you have turbo cam, which is must to avoid overlap.

16g is better than 14b but still not that great of a turbo, if you can get Big 16g evo III than we are talking about good turbos, you know what I'll take pic for you of all three compressor wheels so you can see yourself.

16g is just slightly bigger that 14b, it has bigger inducer and about same size exducer which I belive will make heat like 14b's but feed more air than when need it. Then evo III wheel has bigger inducer bigger exducer like 18g and 20g that spool slower but does not make as much heat and flow really good with our motor. I wish my camera didn't die so I could take beck to beck pic.

14b............................................... ......16g......................................... ....................evo III 16g
              Last edited by keycb7; 02-14-2009, 05:13 AM.

Comment

The FRM sleeves are NOT weak. I wish people would stop assuming this. Boring the F22A would result in MUCH weaker sleeves than the H23's stock FRM sleeves.

Just boost the stock H23 if you don't want to resleeve and run forged internals.

BUT, get a bigger turbo. You're going to blowtorch an H23 with a 14b. That turbo is way too small. The "Big" 16G from an Evo 3 is better, but still not a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                  BUT, get a bigger turbo. You're going to blowtorch an H23 with a 14b. That turbo is way too small. The "Big" 16G from an Evo 3 is better, but still not a great idea.
                  dam, and 2 think i was gonna boost a h23 wit a 14b

Comment

yah

the only reason I am running a Big 16G setup is due to the fact that it has been ported and I really want boost for this summer.
                    my next h23 build is going to be a bigger turbo. Holset HX35.

IMO just boost that stock H23. It is a sweet motor.
                    In the following link there are a lot of good questions and information regarding the H23 boosted.
                    Link to my Boost Build

Regardless Boosting the F22 still should yield more power than a H22 swap.
                    It is a great engine. This will be my first time playing with the H23.

Have you decided which route to go?
                    MadLab Racing
                    Southern Maryland

Comment

iam gona boost the h23 but with wat turbo iam deciding?

14b = no
                      16g big = maybe

what about a holset hx35 turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                        The FRM sleeves are NOT weak. I wish people would stop assuming this. Boring the F22A would result in MUCH weaker sleeves than the H23's stock FRM sleeves.

Just boost the stock H23 if you don't want to resleeve and run forged internals.

Wouldnt running forged pistons in FRM cylinder walls ask for trouble though?
                        www.PreludePower.com
                        BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Yes, they would. But I believe he's talking about boosting a stock bottom end.

Also, Mahle makes pistons that are compatible with the FRM sleeves. I believe JUN and Cosworth do as well.

Comment

which iws better? the h22 or the h23

Comment

To the op..u could get a hy35 (baby brother of hx35) and get a BEP housing(bullseye performance)..which allows u 2 retain the dsm manifold..and 5 bolt dsm downpipe..thus..making the switch to the bigger turbo easier..if ur not starting there..the hy35 is good for around 300-350whp more than what ur gonna need on stock internals..and still will spool pretty nice in the bep (55ar) housing.

Evo3 16g should be the only option 2 consider out of the small dsm turbos..anything below is a waste of time for power reach and durability of the engine

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Working...
                              X