Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

how do you know when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you know when...

the transmission is going back with a standard?

Ive noticed sometimes when i switch gears it sometimes struggles to get into gear especially going into second...and sometimes when i switch from first to second really quick, it scratches the transmission or something...

any one had this problem before?

Yea ive have that problem too, but about the hard to go into gear thing... dont take my word on this lol but i think its like something that keeps you from scratching your synchro. I'll let someone else prove me wrong or elaborate on that one.

but when i used to go to third it wouldnt let me go to it until the rpms went down far enough for the gear to initiate without scratchin.

Comment

kind of sounds like a clutch problem. I'm sure you've done this but check your fluid and make sure its at a proper level. It could also be a sign of a slave cylinder going out.

maybe hondas are different but my bmw did this when the clutch master cylinder went bad and started wearing out.

Comment

Originally posted by cerealkiller93 View Post
        kind of sounds like a clutch problem. I'm sure you've done this but check your fluid and make sure its at a proper level. It could also be a sign of a slave cylinder going out.

maybe hondas are different but my bmw did this when the clutch master cylinder went bad and started wearing out.
        i tried to look for the transmission fluid but i couldnt find the damn thing...do standard even need transmission fluid?

Comment

Yep, standard transmissions use regular 10-30 or 10-40 motor oil. I use synthetic or Lucas. But, that might be your problem. If you remove the passenger side tire, there is a square filler plug, you can just put a ratchet in it and remove that plug to check the level. If it's low, you can use a grease gun to fill it. I believe from empty they take 2.5 quarts. Hopefully yours isn't empty.

Or, how about a pinched or binding shifter linkage? or a bad throw out bearing. Does it make any noise when you push in the clutch, like a growling noise?

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
            Yep, standard transmissions use regular 10-30 or 10-40 motor oil. I use synthetic or Lucas. But, that might be your problem. If you remove the passenger side tire, there is a square filler plug, you can just put a ratchet in it and remove that plug to check the level. If it's low, you can use a grease gun to fill it. I believe from empty they take 2.5 quarts. Hopefully yours isn't empty.

Or, how about a pinched or binding shifter linkage? or a bad throw out bearing. Does it make any noise when you push in the clutch, like a growling noise?
            no growling noise...it just like scratches really bad if it didnt completely go in gear before i had let the clutch go

kinda soundsz like if u were to drag a rock on sement but the noise is 5 times worst

Comment

Mine grinds a little when I shift from 1st to 2nd, but, only if it's cold

Comment

Sounds like maybe your clutch isn't disengaging all the way.

Check your clutch master cylinder's fluid level. If it is at all low, then you almost certainly have something going bad. Look both inside your car behind your clutch pedal on the firewall and down in underneath the two resevoirs for any leaks, as well as at the slave cylinder on the tranny.

I had to replace my clutch master cylinder two weekends ago, and I was having troubles similar to yours, but I caught mine fast (regular fluid checks) so it wasn't too bad. My car definitely shifts better now, I didn't realize how bad it was getting because it was such a gradual decrease in performance.
                1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Yep about the same trouble.

Originally posted by benji View Post
                  Sounds like maybe your clutch isn't disengaging all the way.

Check your clutch master cylinder's fluid level. If it is at all low, then you almost certainly have something going bad. Look both inside your car behind your clutch pedal on the firewall and down in underneath the two resevoirs for any leaks, as well as at the slave cylinder on the tranny.

I had to replace my clutch master cylinder two weekends ago, and I was having troubles similar to yours, but I caught mine fast (regular fluid checks) so it wasn't too bad. My car definitely shifts better now, I didn't realize how bad it was getting because it was such a gradual decrease in performance.
                  Yep, I think I am hving this same issue or something similar. So This is the second time in two weeks that I have had to fill and bleed the lines. I haven't notice a leak but then again I haven't checked. Just been filling the resevior.
                  So, with my issue I just run out of clutch fluid. From what I gather worst case I'll have to replace the tranny?

I'll check the master and slave this weekend for leaks and wear.

Thanks for all the information.
                  IridiumCore
                  HCK-The Beginning

--------------------------------------
                  Your drunk she doesn't look that good.

Comment

Doubt its the synchros, more than likely the shifter forks are bent if steel, or broken to shit if aluminum. or clutch/motor mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by IridiumCore View Post
                      Yep, I think I am hving this same issue or something similar. So This is the second time in two weeks that I have had to fill and bleed the lines. I haven't notice a leak but then again I haven't checked. Just been filling the resevior.
                      So, with my issue I just run out of clutch fluid. From what I gather worst case I'll have to replace the tranny?

I'll check the master and slave this weekend for leaks and wear.

Thanks for all the information.
                      If you are just loosing fluid, you shouldn't have to replace the tranny at all (unless you let it go so long that you are grinding every gear all the time).

Be sure to check the firewall where the clutch pedal arm goes through on both sides. If you can, pump it some while looking. Same thing with the slave cylinder (on the tranny). If you don't have any visible leaks there, check your damper, and after that you are down to a leak in the lines.
                      1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times while shifting. If it now shifts smoothly, you have a problem with the clutch hydraulic system. That is to say...the clutch is not fully releasing.

Comment

Ok so I replace the clutch slave cylinder, thats where I was loosing my fluid at. I also replaced the hose going from the resevior to the master cylinder for good measure. I'm on day one so far so good. The clutch feels a lot better. I still grind going into to fifth unless I double clutch. I hope I can get away this until I get my swap. I'm looking to put in an H-series tranny too.

That fracking (to much BSG) thing was the most annoying peice I have replace thus far. I would recommend taking out the radiator to create some extra room when replacing it or at least removing the fans. I couldn't get to it from the bottom of the car like haynes said. I guess that would be my advise for replacing that part.
                          IridiumCore
                          HCK-The Beginning

Comment

Question- is the clutch pedal supposed to firm or spongy. I stopped by Cottman Transmission today they pulled the car in to check it out. The guy came back and said he adjusted the Master Cylinder down and now my pedal is spongy. I'm thinking it should be firm.
                            IridiumCore
                            HCK-The Beginning

Comment

Working...
                            X