Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Would a loose battery ground terminal cause stalling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would a loose battery ground terminal cause stalling?

So I've been having this problem for several weeks where every once in a while, the engine will just quit. Every time up until today, after turning the car off, I would be able to restart and go on my way. Today, the same thing happened to me several times in a short period of time and on the last occurrence, I could not get the engine to restart. I got a friend to help me get it home where I found that my ground cable was loose (I was able to turn it easily on the post). I got the ground tight and the engine started but the thing is, I can't be sure that it wouldn't have started anyway since it had always been intermittent anyway. Btw, whenever this happens, my MIL comes on and gives me a code 15 (problem with ignition output). Thanks in advance, I just don't want to take it out on the highway again until I think my problem is over with.

Sounds like an igniter.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

If the ground on the battery was the problem everything in the car wouldve went out with the engine, did this happen? Like no lights, no sounds, no nothing.

Comment

A bad ground can cause all sorts of crazy problems. So can dirty battery connections. I've had my radio reset randomly, engine shut off while driving, and lights and gauges do funky things. All due to grounds and battery terminals.

The ignition output code could be the igniter. Could also be the coil. Or it could be due to the bad ground, just sending funky signals to the ECU. Fix the ground, reset the ECU, and see if the code is still there. If it is, replace the igniter, then the coil. If it's STILL there, we'll dig deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
          A bad ground can cause all sorts of crazy problems. So can dirty battery connections. I've had my radio reset randomly, engine shut off while driving, and lights and gauges do funky things. All due to grounds and battery terminals.

The ignition output code could be the igniter. Could also be the coil. Or it could be due to the bad ground, just sending funky signals to the ECU. Fix the ground, reset the ECU, and see if the code is still there. If it is, replace the igniter, then the coil. If it's STILL there, we'll dig deeper.
          Took it out for a long drive and no problem but that doesn't mean it won't do it again. The code is not still in the ECU, in fact every time I've reset the ECU after this had happened, the code would never reappear until I had the engine quit on me again. Where is the igniter by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Saidaigen8 View Post
            If the ground on the battery was the problem everything in the car wouldve went out with the engine, did this happen? Like no lights, no sounds, no nothing.
            That's what I've been thinking from the start too because yeah, every time it happens, there is no indication that anything else isn't getting power.

Comment

i had the exact same problems. I fixed it by putting in a new rotor and cap. It turns that my old one had rust and shit on it. Take a look at your rotor before you do anything

Comment

igniter is inside distributor.

Comment

Working...
                X