Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

h22 or h23 head swap on a f22 block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

putting h22 heads on isn't going to give your originality points. Building a very powerfull f22 will. As it's been pointed out, the f22 is fine for building to take the power, you will need new/better rods, pistons, rings, ...a full rebuild. If you don't rebuild you are limited on how much power you can make to keep it running for a while.

you will not "hear vtec" engage...it isn't like a slap in the chest when it kicks in...it just keeps the curve going up...it doesn't spike your torque curve.

You do not need dohc for turbo...

As to vtec, you don't NEED it either to make power with turbo. Though I have begun to wonder if having the vtec off pre-boost and vtec engage post boost would make a turbo engine run...more dd friendly...after all...there is a reason vtec doesn't engage until later in the rpm range....having it stay off while not under boost seems a good idea...then basically having "boost lobes" I dunno

reliability should be your main concern when building an engine...especially if you want lots of power...what is the point of 500whp if it only lasts a few runs? Or a few months? Or one year? Why not go for longjevity and power? It isn't impossible at all.

No one ever cares how "unique" your engine's codes are (f22, h23, g22, etc etc)...they care how much power you make...and how shiny it is.

I won't stray off topic by talking about the f23 or other engines. I think the OP's best bet is to get some head work and then later forged internals...then later turbo.

No powerbuild is cheap...
    build it right the first time...
    take your time and learn what needs to be done...not what is different and cool...but what will work best
    ____

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
      Why not just boost the F22A and avoid the cost of the H22 head altogether?

The F22A head actually has the ability to outflow the H22A head. (and this is coming from someone that hasn't owned an F22A since before this site began...)
      fuck it lettem be. DOHC gives ya extra cool points, they cant miss out on that now!

Comment

[QUOTE=cole_edinger;1918995]...because the f22 is an iron block... QUOTE
        i am pretty sure we have an alluminum block with iron inserts correct me if i am wrong

and have u thought about the f22b head from the dohc non-vtec 90-93
        ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by cole_edinger View Post
          ya he does have a good point haha but like i said i want a challenge and i just wanna try something different. i know the f22 head flows hella good i had a p&p on my old f22 and it was a good performer for the short amount of time i had it.. but ya i just wanna experiment a little and do something different. not necessarily have the fastest or most powerful engine possible but something somewhat original and different.
          well the info is here, so its your hands man. I'm in the process of buying a house, and had to take care of the wifey cause of v-day this weekend so i wasn't able to work on the thread but i did find the pics, so i'll work on it asap
          Previous cb7members ride thread
          86 Nissan d21 in the workshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=155292

TSM Garage: Honda/Acura, VW/Audi, and Subaru performance and maintenance work.

Comment

Originally posted by quaidum View Post

You mean the F22B DOHC out of a 1992-1996 JDM Prelude Si

1988-91 Preludes came with the B20A or B21A.
            3 CB's gone....
            1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
              putting h22 heads on isn't going to give your originality points. Building a very powerfull f22 will. As it's been pointed out, the f22 is fine for building to take the power, you will need new/better rods, pistons, rings, ...a full rebuild. If you don't rebuild you are limited on how much power you can make to keep it running for a while.
              ok first of all how many people do you know that have built a g22? how can you not call a "g22" original? if you would've actually read this thread and paid attention to anything i've been saying i'm going to be doing a "full rebuild" i'm not gonna half-ass this.

you will not "hear vtec" engage...it isn't like a slap in the chest when it kicks in...it just keeps the curve going up...it doesn't spike your torque curve.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojJy22mh6-g

if you can't hear that you're f***ing deaf. nobody on this forum will agree with you saying that you can't hear vtec.

You do not need dohc for turbo...

As to vtec, you don't NEED it either to make power with turbo. Though I have begun to wonder if having the vtec off pre-boost and vtec engage post boost would make a turbo engine run...more dd friendly...after all...there is a reason vtec doesn't engage until later in the rpm range....having it stay off while not under boost seems a good idea...then basically having "boost lobes" I dunno
              ok and again if you were actually paying attention you would know that NOBODY said you need dohc for turbo... and NOBODY said you NEED vtec to make power. pay attention you f***ing idiot. i don't even understand what you're talking about.

reliability should be your main concern when building an engine...especially if you want lots of power...what is the point of 500whp if it only lasts a few runs? Or a few months? Or one year? Why not go for longjevity and power? It isn't impossible at all.
              and again i'm gonna build this motor to last with moderate boost, its a daily driver not a f***ing drag car.

No one ever cares how "unique" your engine's codes are (f22, h23, g22, etc etc)...they care how much power you make...and how shiny it is.

I won't stray off topic by talking about the f23 or other engines. I think the OP's best bet is to get some head work and then later forged internals...then later turbo.
              you are such an idiot how can you say that nobody cares about "engine codes" i can make more power with my g22 than you can with an h22 or an f22. and my motor can look like shit while yours is all "shiny" and i'll still beat the hell out of you. let me stick to my plan and dont try and tell me what you think I should do with MY motor.

No powerbuild is cheap...
              build it right the first time...
              take your time and learn what needs to be done...not what is different and cool...but what will work best
              dude shut up you're obviously not even paying attention to what we're talking about and you just wanna jump in this thread so you can put in your two cents but NOBODY CARES
              Last edited by cole_edinger; 02-17-2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=quaidum;1920575]
                ...because the f22 is an iron block... QUOTE
                i am pretty sure we have an alluminum block with iron inserts correct me if i am wrong

ya my bad haha the cylinders are iron

Comment

if you can't hear that you're f***ing deaf. nobody on this forum will agree with you saying that you can't hear vtec.

ok and again if you were actually paying attention you would know that NOBODY said you need dohc for turbo... and NOBODY said you NEED vtec to make power. pay attention you f***ing idiot. i don't even understand what you're talking about.

hold up their buddy.

You took this from a discussion on a topic to a personal level that is not at all ACCEPTABLE.

What he was saying is that if your car is tuned and running properly you will not here the vtec engage.
                  And this is a fact.
                  no arguements about it.

If your tuning sux and starts to fall off the map before vtec engages.. then you will here it perk back up with a deeper sound... but thats not going to win any races.

try to keep this clean and informative. So far all i have seen is your lack of knowledge to make a good defense of why you would do this build.
                  "Self Renewed"

Comment

ok first of all how many people do you know that have built a g22? how can you not call a "g22" original? if you would've actually read this thread and paid attention to anything i've been saying i'm going to be doing a "full rebuild" i'm not gonna half-ass this.

Well...a lot...really ...if you would have read up on this site more you'd see that this idea isn't new.

I'm glad you're doing a full rebuild, it's more than many do. But here is why I kept pointing out forged internal, a full rebuild could mean anything from new cast OEM parts to all forged internal...how am I supposed to know your full intentions? I don't...so I make mine known.

i don't even understand what you're talking about.
                    and again i'm gonna build this motor to last with moderate boost, its a daily driver not a f***ing drag car.
                    And that is where the problems are coming from...chill with the e-thug
                    Why take all this time to handle moderate boost...whatever that is...and make it handle...boost. Forged internal...otherwise you will be greatly limited on how much power you can make...and it won't be much. That is all I'm saying.

you are such an idiot how can you say that nobody cares about "engine codes" i can make more power with my g22 than you can with an h22 or an f22. and my motor can look like shit while yours is all "shiny" and i'll still beat the hell out of you. let me stick to my plan and dont try and tell me what you think I should do with MY motor.
                    HA HA...my motor isn't shiny...that is not what I'm talking about. But I can say that cause it's true.

Do this...you need to read up on the member's turbo'd rides...you'll get a lot of needed info

check out boost_lee f22a head
                    check out lodollar92lx h22 head

both making good power...but IMHO...I think you will find it easier to go with the f22

Do you actually think people care more that you have a "g22" or "g23" or the RELIABLE power it makes? More to the point...if two cars run...and one dominates...and it has a run of the mill "code"...NO ONE WILL CARE...they only care about power You will not make more with this setup than I could...well...you could...but for how long. THAT is what I'm saying...you've got PLENTY of potential with the f22 IF you build it properly...and not just "moderate" boost...but whatever you put to it...ALL I was trying to say...is don't do this just for uniquness...do something reliable which this build is not.

dude shut up you're obviously not even paying attention to what we're talking about and you just wanna jump in this thread so you can put in your two cents but NOBODY CARES
                    I paid plenty of attention...I wasn't "telling" you or anyone what to do...you've got something else going on in your life that is upsetting you and preventing you from seeing what I was saying and making you read WAY more into it than what is there...that's fine...relax...and yes I am on this thread just to put in my .02...it's what you do on a forum.
                    Last edited by bcjammerx; 02-17-2009, 12:36 PM.
                    ____

Comment

^^^theres really no use arguing with him man, hes made up his mind, just likeyou made up your mind with the f22. And to say that the setup is unreliable isn't true. All depends on the builder, how you treat it and maintain it. You do like you said and go with a build on a f22, but if you had a shitty builder or cut corners on it yourself , its still not going to last, and this goes for any motor. I'ev done this setup and my car was more reliable then my boys jdm h22, because a "Professional" shop did it and half ass'd or rigged up everything. which is why it has been rebuilt now, and reassembled by myself.

So like i said earlier just let him be, its his car, time, and money, and hes new so why not just be helpful with what hes asking and get him going in the right direction
                      Previous cb7members ride thread
                      86 Nissan d21 in the workshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=155292

TSM Garage: Honda/Acura, VW/Audi, and Subaru performance and maintenance work.

Comment

^^^

i agree....

*In the same breath*
                        ...I have seen nothing but a lack of knowledge from him so far...

I think everyone is trying to help him.. We have seen what we know is the easiest and what works to create the same amount of power with much less work involved..

{personally: i would like to see him complete this build and have all his specs posted up with pictures, and videos, of ass dyno, and real dyno video... }

*sighs*

I don't know if maybe he is being misunderstood, as what he is thinking isn't comming out clearly....

All i wanted was for him to show some real knowledge on this build before he jumps head first into a blown money pit...

Maybe we shouldn't care... but i'd like to see his build become a succsess.... and in doing so i know all of us who have had turbo cars... know how tempting it is to turn up the boost.

"it sure is fun when you do"!!!!!

for a couple of weeks or days or minutes... ******* then boom. !!!!
                        I agree if your going to do a build... it might as well be done with forged parts,, and actually take advantage of those F22 sleeves.

no hard feelings man... but calm down a lil,, we aren't attacking you... we are just trying to understand your locgic
                        "Self Renewed"

Comment

sorry i dont mean to surface this super old thread.

would and h22 or h23 vtec head swap be better than a full on h22 swap IF i rebuild the f22 with all new internals and even forged parts?

i talking cost wise
                          visit vgruk

Comment

You meant to...otherwise you wouldn't have posted in it.

The answer is no....but to end this altogether here is a run down, I'm assuming you can't do all the work yourself.

Head - $250
                            Block - $100
                            Internals - $800
                            Machining - $500
                            Assembly - $1000.
                            Installation - $1500

So you're looking at maybe $4000 for a "G22" swap done right. You could source a long block H22A for roughly $1000 and after installation save as much as $1500. And even after all that money it's still slower than a real H22A....so why bother?

You're cutting the corners that other people took the time to go through for something that is inferior to the real thing, and then you're expecting to have the same results!
                            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                              You meant to...otherwise you wouldn't have posted in it.

The answer is no....but to end this altogether here is a run down, I'm assuming you can't do all the work yourself.

Head - $250
                              Block - $100
                              Internals - $800
                              Machining - $500
                              Assembly - $1000.
                              Installation - $1500

So you're looking at maybe $4000 for a "G22" swap done right. You could source a long block H22A for roughly $1000 and after installation save as much as $1500. And even after all that money it's still slower than a real H22A....so why bother?

You're cutting the corners that other people took the time to go through for something that is inferior to the real thing, and then you're expecting to have the same results!
                              ahh but i can do it myself. Ill bet if i can tear down and rebuild an aircraft engine a car engine cant be that much different. The only problem is i dont have the tools or the shop. im planning this for a few years from now
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by ryandavis33 View Post
                                ahh but i can do it myself. Ill bet if i can tear down and rebuild an aircraft engine a car engine cant be that much different. The only problem is i dont have the tools or the shop. im planning this for a few years from now
                                Okay, so let's say you can and the G22 is $2000 and the H22A is $2500 based on my price breakdown....why not stretch only a few hundred more for a better product?

And a few years to put together a project you can supposedly do yourself?
                                '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                                If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Working...
                                X