Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bucking and Lights Flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucking and Lights Flashing

1992 Honda Accord EX Automatic

I drove a lot of miles today and from my last stop to my house (10 miles) my car was bucking the entire time and not able to go over 40 miles per hour. The clock and seatbelt lights (I always were my seatbelt but too it off to see how the seatbelt light would react to condition) were flickering the entire time and the radio was going in and out. All this flickering of lights and radio cutting in and out the entire 10 mile trip home was coordinating with the car bucking. I think that's the best term to describe it. Imagine a hose that's clogged with something and the water comes out in spurts, that's how the car accelerated--in consistent spurts and it felt like I was aboard a bucking bronco the entire time. When I pulled into the driveway and shut the car off, it wouldn't start. Nothing. Dead as a doornail. No lights, nothing. Couldn't even use the power door locks. 15 minutes later, the car starts up again. I drive it around the block, no issues. Pull back into the driveway, turn the car off, then restart it and nothing. Dead as a doornail again.

The battery is 5 months old, so I'm suspecting it might be the alternator that's draining the battery. I got no warning signs except this. The alternator is 5 1/2 years old. If I go to Sam's Club where I bought the battery and have them test it, would they be able to tell me if it's the alternator or battery that's the problem? If it's the alternator, do I have to replace the battery too?

Has anyone else experienced this problem and what do you all think is causing the bucking and lights going haywire?

First, make a few simple checks. Check the battery terminals for looseness or corrosion and check the alternator belt to make sure it has proper tension. Second, get the battery and charging system tested (although I wouldn't allow Walmart or Sam's Club "technicians" to touch my car ever). Service centers will carry electronic battery testers than can pinpoint any problems with the primary electrical system. If you do need to install a new alternator, make sure you recharge the battery. Newer alternators are more likely to fail prematurely if they have to take on the burden of providing electricity for the rest of the vehicle and charging a discharged battery.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

if you can get it started with it running test and see how many volts your battery is running. If its around 14 your alternator should be good. If way below I would suspect that. Maybe find a buddy who has an accord and see if you can swap their alternator on and see what it does.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
      New people click here

Comment

Sound like a bad electrical connection.
        Though I thought the alternator could power things even with the battery disconnected. Might be a couple bad connections or something common to the two.
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

as said earlier, test. With the car off, the battery should read 12.6 volts. If not, bad battery. With the car running, should read around 14. If not then it's the alternator. One thing I would check in particular is the connector plug on the alternator. It has a tendancy to wiggle loose. This exact thing happened to me with the very same symptoms. Turns out the plug was loose. If this is the case I'd still keep an eye on the alternator cause about two weeks later mine went bad and I had to replace it. Good luck.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
          Traded with: Cb7xChun
          Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
          Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
          My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

Originally posted by darkfusion42 View Post
            as said earlier, test. With the car off, the battery should read 12.6 volts. If not, bad battery. With the car running, should read around 14. If not then it's the alternator. One thing I would check in particular is the connector plug on the alternator. It has a tendancy to wiggle loose. This exact thing happened to me with the very same symptoms. Turns out the plug was loose. If this is the case I'd still keep an eye on the alternator cause about two weeks later mine went bad and I had to replace it. Good luck.
            not necessarily, if the alternator did go bad the car would be running off the battery causing it to die and read less volts. Until its charged.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
            New people click here

Comment

A bad alternator can still read 14.4 volts. A burnt-out diode or voltage regulator can cause a parasitic draw on the battery or dangerous electrical surges. This is why an electronic tester needs to be used. They can test the battery and alternator through several trouble-prone conditions.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Bad ground?
                wat?

Comment

Originally posted by darkfusion42 View Post
                  Yup. The green plug. That happened to me. killed my battery completely.

Comment

Working...
                  X