Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

oil burning smoke at start-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil burning smoke at start-up

I have a 1990 Accord EX coupe w/181,000 miles on it.the problem is after its been sittin a while like overnite it burns oil when first starting and continues to do so for about a minute or more then goes away.I have just replaced the valve guide oil seals a week ago and this still has not made the problem go away.Where else could oil be getting down into the valve and or combustion chambers to heat up and burn off?could it be bad ring(s)?any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

if valve seals are good then its probably rings. possibly head gasket but more likely rings.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
    member ride thread
    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

I would say rings also. Once the engine is warmed up the metals expands, causing the rings to "seal" better then they are when the engine is cold.
      91 Accord Ex
      97 Civic Ex
      91 Crx B16

Comment

compression test f22a4

I did a compression test to determine why my Accord is burning so much oil at start-up.The results were 1st cylinder-161psi--2nd cylinder-90psi--3rd cylinder-110psi--4th cylinder-157psi.After adding oil to second cylinder then repeating the test it was 159psi,and the third on a repeat with some oil was around the same.Even though rings are toast in cylinders 2and3 the engine runs and idles really well and has still got a lot "get up and go" for being way below standards for compression. The car has just passed smog 3 days ago,but was borderline for failing on the HC's at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
          if valve seals are good then its probably rings. possibly head gasket but more likely rings.
          How can an headgasket cause oil to burn?

Try some thicker oil to temporarily resolve the issue but regardless its going to need new rings.
          www.PreludePower.com
          BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

grade of oil

i like the idea of the thicker oil for a temp solution.It may also reduce the amount of blue smoke that blankets my neighbors house when starting it in the morning.Im planning on buying a low mileage engine from Attarco inc. when i get my tax return in Jan or Feb,rather than mess with same motor.What grade of oil would be best for the time being?
            Last edited by Black Pearl 90; 01-10-2009, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Possibly 10w-40,maybe even a little bit thicker. Just give it a try.
              Im surprised replacing the valve seals didnt fix it.
              www.PreludePower.com
              BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Working...
              X