Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Winter Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Driving

Ok....brand new problem here...lol. We've been hit with a TON of snow over the past week or so and I quickly learned that even though Ive got winter tires on my car (brand new in the front - partly used in the rear), I feel like Im riding on skis!!

Yesterday it took me twice as long to get home from work because I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I was restricted to about 40 km/hr on the highway - and even then I felt I had no control - when MOST of the other cars were speeding past me! Im not used to being passed so often.

General opinion is because the car has been lowered, camber is messed up (especially on front wheels) and between that AND the fact that it badly needs an alignment (steering wheel isnt straight). I didnt go to work today because we got snow all day yesterday and then it turned to freezing rain last night and I was afraid of ending up in a ditch.

I am sending it for an alignment tomorrow. Hubby thinks it will need a camber kit as well and not sure if the dealer is going to have that. I just hope that they dont tell me that they CANT align it because *insert pricey suspension parts here* needs replacing first. Money is tight (and being so close to christmas doesnt help).

I love the look and power of this car but there seems to be problem after problem with it!

Im not asking for much....just not to die on my way to or from work.

yeah skinny tires cut through the snow better. But they just might not grip as much. There's less of a chance of hydroplaning on slushy snow b/c there's less of a contact patch. But that comes at a price of grip from a take off.

Idk, thankfully i'm in AZ so i don't have to worry about that shit. But best of luck negotiating the roads this winter.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

grab some chains
      UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
      NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex View Post
        grab some chains
        excactly what i was thinkin... ....you could also drop some air out of ur tires for me surface on the ground.. but if its slshy snow thats gonna prolly make it worse
        You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
        Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Hey, I'm dropped as low as it'l go and it drives like new in the snow. I only have used winters on the front. I do also have an expensive camber kit installed but even before I put the kit in the car drove good. I'm 99.9% that your toe is way in. Ur other half should have no problem alighning it at home. I do mine in about 20 mins. Adjusting the toe will also put the steering wheen back where it should be. Good luck.

GOT F?

Comment

Originally posted by EXR-ALB View Post
            Hey, I'm dropped as low as it'l go and it drives like new in the snow. I only have used winters on the front. I do also have an expensive camber kit installed but even before I put the kit in the car drove good. I'm 99.9% that your toe is way in. Ur other half should have no problem alighning it at home. I do mine in about 20 mins. Adjusting the toe will also put the steering wheen back where it should be. Good luck.
            First of all, hubby is now working all week in Montreal and I only see him on the weekends and we have a lot to do in those 2 days. Secondly, there is a ton of snow here so working on any car outside for a period of time is hard.

If you think the toe in is the cause of my problem, then the shop should be able to take care of that, right? Its worth the $50 its going to cost.

And chains and studded tires arent allowed here. Im really hoping the alignment will do the trick. I'll let ya know.

Comment

an alignment REALLY helps the driveablility of your car.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

If its only gonna cost $50 for a shop to do it, do it.

GOT F?

Comment

you don't NEED a camber kit. i've been running -2 degrees of camber on my car for over a year, driven in the snow without snow tires with no problems. my toe is dead set on 0 in front. i know this because i do my own alignments. i have no camber wear whatsoever. toe being out of spec is the biggest killer of tires.

make sure your toe is set to 0, and rember to take it easy in the snow. thats the best advice i can give you... i'd rather take 30 minutes to get home instead of 15, but know that i can get there safely.

Comment

1. Chains + Lowered car = Bad idea
                    2. Get your alignment if you know its off. If its front end just get a front end alignment. I know NTB does this.
                    3. Make sure your tires arent "worn out" looking aka dry cracks and so on.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Carchick_44 View Post
                      First of all, hubby is now working all week in Montreal and I only see him on the weekends and we have a lot to do in those 2 days. Secondly, there is a ton of snow here so working on any car outside for a period of time is hard.

If you think the toe in is the cause of my problem, then the shop should be able to take care of that, right? Its worth the $50 its going to cost.

And chains and studded tires arent allowed here. Im really hoping the alignment will do the trick. I'll let ya know.

first this not a big winter storm compared to the others..and winter just started
                      second i dont think it rain here,,just snowed
                      third i took my car out tuesday night at about 8h00 pm for a ride with winter tires that been on their 5th season know...1/4 thread left had didnt have any trouble...other that my steerinf wheel is loose ....
                      in fact its better in the snow then my celica....but it all depends on what tires you have 2......are they are better on snow???or ice????
                      chaines r not allowed
                      but studded tires are

Comment

trust me get ur alignment done first. i live in toronto and i know how bad our roads get in the winter time, u shouldnt be lossing control at 40km/h

Comment

Well, I came home in tears last night. After having an ABSOLUTELY lousy day at work, I go to pick up my car and am given a shopping list of suspension parts they expect replaced before an alignment can be done. That doesnt even include a camber kit which they want $190 for...front tires only.

The camber on the left side is -3.5 and on the right is -3.1 (should be between -1.0 and +1.0) Camber in back isnt bad, but the toe in is.... 0.97 on left and 0.31 on right (should be between 0.00 and 0.16).

He said its no wonder I felt like I was going all over the place because I WAS all over the place.

Soon2briding....the snow we got may have been nothing for you, but for me it was a nightmare to drive in. And I live in Aylmer...which is Quebec...no studs allowed here.

Im not sure what Im going to do at this point. For the time being, Hubby is going to give me the protege to drive and he's going to take the cb7. A guy at work wants my car, just for the motor and is willing to pay what I paid for it and what I put into it so far...about $2000. Boss tells me they've got a couple of cavalier's for cheap (about $500) and they'd get me through the winter...would also give us some extra cash which we could use...but just the IDEA of being stuck with a cavalier or sunfire....eewwww.....thats not just taking a step backwards...thats falling backwards down a whole flight of stairs....

Comment

Find another shop, tell them you don't care about camber, Just the toe
                            wat?

Comment

If there is an NTB up north they will usually adjust the toe for you if you tell them. They wont warranty it but they should.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X