Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Oil Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak?

What is the best way to track down an oil leak. I was warming my car up this morning and I went out and there was a little puddle. Seemed like alot but wasn't too much. So I drove it around for fifteen minutes parked it and let it sit. Came back in another half an hour and there was only a tiny drop. What is the best way to track down a leak? What usually goes that needs replacing?

Thanks,
    JTM

Check the crank seal and rear main seal they usually go bad on high mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by JTM View Post
      What is the best way to track down an oil leak. I was warming my car up this morning and I went out and there was a little puddle. Seemed like alot but wasn't too much. So I drove it around for fifteen minutes parked it and let it sit. Came back in another half an hour and there was only a tiny drop. What is the best way to track down a leak? What usually goes that needs replacing?

Thanks,
      JTM
      I steam cleam cleaned and de-greased the hell out of engine bay and underbody, then drove it for a while. It showed where all the "new" oil leaks was and i attacked it. Mine was the valve cover gasket near the distributer. No problems after that...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116662

Comment

if you have a ex, the oil cooler adapter ring could be bad, but if thats leaking, its easy to find, cuz it drips RIGHT on the down pipe, and smokes
        you'll love my nuts!

Comment

maybe your bolt or gasket

Comment

Originally posted by angus67 View Post
            if you have a ex, the oil cooler adapter ring could be bad, but if thats leaking, its easy to find, cuz it drips RIGHT on the down pipe, and smokes
            2x, i just replaced that gasket on an A6 on tuesday for a former coworker of mine. it actually wasn't that hard to replace just make sure you have a 30mm socket to remove that plug with.

Comment

First thing to do is ask what work you have done recently on the car, then think whether the leak could be related to that.

Second, slip some cardboard under the car and let it sit. See where it leaks, then jack the car up on jackstands safely and take a look underneath with a strong flashlight. Bring rubber gloves and lots of rags.

Take it from there.

Once you have a sense what side of the car it's from, whether it's engine oil or tranny fluid or power steering fluid or whatever, we can proceed further.

In general, strong candidates are a loose oil drain plug or washer (or stripped), the drain pan gasket, or (more of a drag), seals under the timing belt cover. YOu could also have a leaky oil filter or oil pressure sending unit.

But really, you need to localize the leak first, then fo from there and try to trace it back to the source.

Post back with more info and I'm sure someone can help further.

Also, fill the oil up and mark down the date and odometer reading. Check the level again at intervals to get a sense of how much oil you are losing. If it loses a lot more oil on a long drive than when it's sitting a comparable time parked after driving, then it could be seals around the crankshaft oo balance shaft or camshaft, or valve cover gasket, which only would leak during running, and would leave an oil trail down the road that you wouldn't notice because you're in the car driving while it's leaking. If it's a more or less constant leak, whether parked or driving, then I would look at the drain plug and drain pan gaskets. because those are more likely to leak even when the car is parked. The drain pan gasket less so than the drain pan bolt.

good luck.

Comment

I would take it to those DIY carwash places they have and pay the 1.25 for the pressure washer and just go to town cleaning everything in the engine bay and under the car. Be sure to cover up all the electronic stuff like the dizzy and dont spray in the spark plug holes lol, Oh and also cover the intake filter w/ a bag or something to prevent that from getting wet.

If you still can't find it, at least you'll have a clean engine bay in 5 min. or less

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                  First thing to do is ask what work you have done recently on the car, then think whether the leak could be related to that.

Second, slip some cardboard under the car and let it sit. See where it leaks, then jack the car up on jackstands safely and take a look underneath with a strong flashlight. Bring rubber gloves and lots of rags.

Take it from there.

Once you have a sense what side of the car it's from, whether it's engine oil or tranny fluid or power steering fluid or whatever, we can proceed further.

In general, strong candidates are a loose oil drain plug or washer (or stripped), the drain pan gasket, or (more of a drag), seals under the timing belt cover. YOu could also have a leaky oil filter or oil pressure sending unit.

But really, you need to localize the leak first, then fo from there and try to trace it back to the source.

Post back with more info and I'm sure someone can help further.

Also, fill the oil up and mark down the date and odometer reading. Check the level again at intervals to get a sense of how much oil you are losing. If it loses a lot more oil on a long drive than when it's sitting a comparable time parked after driving, then it could be seals around the crankshaft oo balance shaft or camshaft, or valve cover gasket, which only would leak during running, and would leave an oil trail down the road that you wouldn't notice because you're in the car driving while it's leaking. If it's a more or less constant leak, whether parked or driving, then I would look at the drain plug and drain pan gaskets. because those are more likely to leak even when the car is parked. The drain pan gasket less so than the drain pan bolt.

good luck.

Very informative thank you! The valve cover gasket and tube seals were recently done. However I noticed the leak before that. I got under the car today and the bolt was fine and the oil filter was too. The pan gasket looks to be in good shape (not deteriorated etc.). There is oil all over but not like dripping. So I had difficulty doing much. I might have to bring it somewhere where I can actually get under it real good.

Comment

Originally posted by angus67 View Post
                    where is that located?? Any pictures?
                    91-accord

watch quick clip: 10-80 mph

Comment

Allways Start From the Top and Work Your Way Down!!

1990 Accord LX Sedan~Sold
                      1993 Accord EX Sedan~Sold
                      1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750~Totaled

Comment

i have a huge oil leak now on my 93 ex and it seems to be coming from where the trannsmission and engine meet. any ideas?
                        yes im 15, yes my car and i are the same age, and not now but soon i will smoke you

Comment

Originally posted by JTM View Post

Thanks,
                          JTM
                          first off degrease your engine then drive it around let it sit and then track the leak back to the source

but it might be-oil pan gasket or oil drain bolt washer
                          -oil pressure sending unit leaking
                          -cylinder head covers leaking
                          -engine oil seals leaking.
                          your having the same problem i did.. i track the lake back to my oil pan and found out the threads in the pan itself was worn so try those and let me know
                          BREATHonda

Comment

Working...
                          X