Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CV shaft problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV shaft problem

I went to replace my driver side strut today and the cv joint popped out of the boot. The grease and the bearings are still in place, but the bearings dont seem to want to pop back in. Because of this, the cv shaft is "longer" and i cant take out the shaft from either end.

That being said, i have 2 questions.

Once the cv shaft is removed, can i pop the bearings back in and re-use it, or will i have to get a new one?

And if that is possible, what is the easiest way to get the shaft out safely so that i can try to put the bearings back in? (the car is standard btw)

Thanks in advance

As far as I know you would use a prybar or something similar just like normal when pulling your axle out. I take it you just grabbed the end of the axle and yanked on it? You should be able to, once you get it off of the car, take off the rubber boot and look at everything and get it back to where it needs to be. I could be wrong. But they make rebuild kits for cv axles so if everything is ok then put it back how it should be and make sure you have grease and everything in it when you're done and put it back together. Hopefully this helped and if i'm way off then someone please correct me because I would hate to misinform someone.

Comment

1. Why would you want to reuse it? You can they have rebuild kits for it.
      2. Autozone, Oreillys, etc have lifetime warranties on these axles why go through rebuilding the axle and getting real dirty.
      3. Its easy to pull out. You can compress it and pull it out its not bigge.
      4. Axle swaps are straightforward. If you dont trust yourself get a shop to do it or a local member that is knowledgable.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
        1. Why would you want to reuse it? You can they have rebuild kits for it.
        2. Autozone, Oreillys, etc have lifetime warranties on these axles why go through rebuilding the axle and getting real dirty.
        3. Its easy to pull out. You can compress it and pull it out its not bigge.
        4. Axle swaps are straightforward. If you dont trust yourself get a shop to do it or a local member that is knowledgable.
        Ummm.....He was replacing his strut and ended up sperating the axle from the bearings. I haven't ever done this before and i'm sure you know more than I do about cars but could he not just pull the boot off and put it back together? I thought that was possible without buying a new one. I don't mean anything negative by this post but if you pull the stock boot off, you can't put it back together without buying anything? I have always just replaced mine but his was fine to begin with so it didn't think anything needed to be replaced. I have no clue honestly but I didn't think he would have to buy anything. Hell man enlighten us both because I thought he could just pull it apart and put it back together.

Comment

If you pull the boot off you can put it back on. If you separate it from the bearing you need to rebuild it. That includes tearing out the axle then separating that part of the axle and trying to reconnect making sure all the joints inside are in check. IMO 10x easier to go buy another. Personally axles are cheap nowadays.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

it ok what you have to do is after you have it off you have to clean the axles be cuse if you don't you will have clicking sound

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
              If you pull the boot off you can put it back on. If you separate it from the bearing you need to rebuild it. That includes tearing out the axle then separating that part of the axle and trying to reconnect making sure all the joints inside are in check. IMO 10x easier to go buy another. Personally axles are cheap nowadays.
              Thanks man. I appreciate you clearing that up for me. I never have rebuilt one because like you said, axles are cheap. They really are though and it's not that difficult to replace one and IMO it gives me a better sense of security. I thought it was different than that to rebuild one but now that I know what all it takes i'm with you on this one. BUY A NEW ONE LOL. I learn more and more everyday on this site, I love this place. I just wish someone would tell me more about the DIY double spaced plenum mod.

Comment

If you have time rebuilding isnt a bad idea. its time consuming. I rebuilt one with my friend for his maxima it took forever. Took us 2 hours or so but then it was also our first time. I hated it since it was dirty especially when greasing up the bearings.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Hell for that amount of time you could have just spent a little more and then just had a brand new one lol. It never hurts to learn something new though. I have an oil leak i'm about to fix here pretty soon and i'm going to have to pull the timing belt for the first time but I have experienced help with me. It should be fun. I should definitely learn a few things and to me I can't put a price on that. I love working on cars. Sorry to get off topic OP. From what has been posted so far though i'm sure you would agree to just get a new axle and replace the whole thing. You can bring the old one to them and get a core charge on it to make the purchase cheaper or if you just have the money you could buy a new one and then get some practice on rebuilding one with the one you have now. Either way good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Comment

i can normally pop the bearings back into the shafts while the boot is still on. it jsut requires some feel and patience.

also if you are going to pull on the shaft, onlypull on the outer CV joint. it's the inner joint that seperates.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone for your help. i think i'm just going to grab another cv shaft from work. However i am learning, and interested in this stuff, so i'll probably rebuild the old one aswell and toss it out or something.

Thanks again for everyones help, much appreciated

Comment

Just a quick suggestion.

Whats up, I know u were gonna grab another one from work but anyway heres a tip for the future. I had the same problem on my buds accord and the tripple joint is unlike any other I've seen. on the rear of the bearings there are three rectangular plates that slide into the input one way only. So just peel the boot back and slide each one in and the axle will slide back into place. Pop on a new clamp and ur done. As long as there was not a bunch of crap dirt, rocks ect. ur fine.

GOT F?

Comment

Working...
                        X