Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Snapped off the power steering belt tensioner bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapped off the power steering belt tensioner bolt

I just had T-belt job done recently and since then I always get a loud screeching/squeaking noise upon startup. I assume it was one of the belts and upon inspection noticed that both p/s adjuster bolts were loose.

So (without looking at the procedure in the FSM.......which states to loosen that special nut right underneath the p/s pulley) I went ahead and tighten both tensioner bolts. I guess I applied too much torque cuz I snapped off the right side bolt (I think that was the 10mm one).

But I noticed that the smaller bolt is there only to hold that bracket in place. And then both bolts go through the bracket into the threads.

Is an e-z out drill/tap my only option here? I will appreciate any tips.
    1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Originally posted by Shehzada View Post
    I just had T-belt job done recently and since then I always get a loud screeching/squeaking noise upon startup. I assume it was one of the belts and upon inspection noticed that both p/s adjuster bolts were loose.

So (without looking at the procedure in the FSM.......which states to loosen that special nut right underneath the p/s pulley) I went ahead and tighten both tensioner bolts. I guess I applied too much torque cuz I snapped off the right side bolt (I think that was the 10mm one).

But I noticed that the smaller bolt is there only to hold that bracket in place. And then both bolts go through the bracket into the threads.

What you can do is take the whole tensioner bolt out and just put a regular bolt and nut in its place. I snapped off my alternator tensioner and just put a bolt and nut in. I used a pry bar to pull the alternator up so it was tight and then tightened the bolt up.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
    Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
    My member's ride

Comment

throw the whole frigin pump out!!!

you get more torque and less weight either way! lol

Comment

Originally posted by fearlessracing View Post
        you get more torque and less weight either way! lol
        Some people like to have power steering. To me it's worth more to have power steering then to gain the half hp and the 5 pounds weight loss that I would get if I removed it
        Last edited by AbsurdNY; 11-15-2008, 01:19 AM.

Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
        My member's ride

Comment

Originally posted by AbsurdNY View Post
          Some people like to have power steering. To me it's worth more to have power steering then to gain the half hp and the 5 pounds weight loss that I would get if I removed it
          it really isnt that bad not having power steering. my opinion is that it is a luxury not a necessity

92ex coupe h22
          93 240sx with silvia front end (kadet in the works)
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1894990

Comment

Originally posted by DaGrk1 View Post
            it really isnt that bad not having power steering. my opinion is that it is a luxury not a necessity
            I never drove my car without power steering but if the car is a daily driver I really don't see no point in removing it just because a tensioner bolt broke. A lot of the times people don't understand that our cars have a hydraulic rack. It's not the same as a car that has a manual steering rack. You are pretty much forcing everything when you take out the power steering in a car that is designed to have it. On a car that is not used for daily driving, it's not that big of a problem but for a D.D. it's not worth it. The right way to remove that power steering would be to replace the hydraulic rack and replace it with a manual rack.

My member's ride

Comment

um wut bolt exactly did u break the one holding the tensioner to the brakcet or the adjuster thingy next to the one holding the bracket? i'm confused either way the JY is ur friend just pocket a new tensioner or get a brakcet whichever works best for u, but thats were i wud have went before even posting
              Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

Originally posted by Shehzada View Post

http://www.carforums.net/showthread.php?t=12265
                DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by GearBangnAccord View Post
                  um wut bolt exactly did u break the one holding the tensioner to the brakcet or the adjuster thingy next to the one holding the bracket?
                  I'm going to take a photo tomorrow.

Comment

It don't matter what bolt is broke. If you just take off the whole tensioner assembly (the part that has the long bolt that goes through the bracket) and just replace it with a bolt and a nut. Problem fixed.

My member's ride

Comment

1. Short bolt goes into bracket holding the tensioner bolt stable.
                      2. If the TEnsioner bolt snapped pull the tensioner assembly out
                      3. Get a set of pliers and turn it out.
                      4. Go to honda or a junkyard and find that bolt. YOu can try hardware stores to see if they have one the same length.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=69593

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                        1. Short bolt goes into bracket holding the tensioner bolt stable.
                        2. If the TEnsioner bolt snapped pull the tensioner assembly out
                        3. Get a set of pliers and turn it out.
                        4. Go to honda or a junkyard and find that bolt. YOu can try hardware stores to see if they have one the same length.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=69593
                        Yes. #1 says it all. It's the short bolt whose head I sheared off

Comment

Working...
                        X