Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

if i wanna turbo my h22 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i wanna turbo my h22 ?

i was always thinking to turbo my h22 in my cb7, but can i straight put in turbo saftly with the vtec , or do i have to do fancy labor work on pistons and bores and what not so i dont blow the motor , i just want a little extra boost.

basicly will a stock motor with same pistons, cams, bore sleeve, etc handle an aftermarket turbo

my ride http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3063052

whats the verdict, thanks in advance
    Last edited by ibr_adam09; 11-05-2008, 04:56 PM.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
    -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

the is looking good if u turbo the h22 it wont hurt the vtec it well just give u more pull if u do it the safe way

Comment

you can turbo it, but you need to get good quality parts for the kit. dont get an ebay junk turbo kit. you can safely turbo the stock engine on a nice tune for something around 8lbs of boost. much more and you will risk blowing the motor due to its high compression and non-forged internals. if youd want more boost, getting the block sleeved, forged low compression pistons and some eagle h-beam rods will be something to definitely look into. among all this you would need to upgrade your fuel system to account for the added air going into the engine, walbro 255 fuel pump/high flow fuel rail with adjustable pressure regulator/larger injectors.

now i only tapped on what needs to be to safely turbo this engine, there is much more needed. but it can be done, but you cant just slap a turbo on the engine and go.

My Members Ride Thread
      Originally posted by deevergote
      You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Can you do it? Yes. Is it safe? Depends on the condition of your motor, and the quality of your tune. If your motor is very healthy, and you have it properly tuned by a professional afterward, then it'll be fine... for a while, anyway. Old motors DO eventually break when you boost them. Keep that in mind.

Honestly, I would never boost my only car. If it's a second car, or you have a backup... go for it. If it's your only car and you rely on it to live, boosting might be a bad idea. Usually, when things go wrong with turbo, they REALLY go wrong!

Comment

All the above is perfect advice and info tuning is king check out xenocron.com or aempower.com these 2 places aren't the only but its somewhere to start and this is definitly where you should start when thinking of adding boost.good luck and post some pics of your setup when you get her goin.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdizzle View Post
            you can safely turbo the stock engine on a nice tune for something around 8lbs of boost. much more and you will risk blowing the motor
            I know you can boost around 8 pounds or less on a stock motor, but how long can you expect it to last? I know some people say they will hold spray or boost just fine but the motor has weak ring landings stock. I have 40k on my motor and wouldnt boost it stock but what kindof time frame do you have on one with low boost properly tuned?

CHRIS (◣_◢)

Comment

Originally posted by H22A4CB7 View Post
              I know you can boost around 8 pounds or less on a stock motor, but how long can you expect it to last? I know some people say they will hold spray or boost just fine but the motor has weak ring landings stock. I have 40k on my motor and wouldnt boost it stock but what kindof time frame do you have on one with low boost properly tuned?
              it could last a week or it could last a year. it all depends on the health of the engine really. im not sure about the ringlands but i know its mostly the FRM cylinder walls that make boosting the h22 a PITA. like mentioned already if its your only means of transportation i wouldnt boost it due to the fact that stuff does go wrong with engine that get boosted that arent from the factory more often.

My Members Ride Thread
              Originally posted by deevergote
              You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

yeah I know Im debating the boost build just because of the reliability factor there are those that run great with no problems at all then you get that one that has every problem you could ever come across....Im gonna just build my motor first then decide lol

CHRIS (◣_◢)

Comment

Boost it! It's a lot of fun But take into consideration everything that has been said. Take a look at my member's ride below and you will see a boosted h22, and if you have any questions about what parts or anything don't hesitate to ask

SOLD!!
                  Boosted H22
                  375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mcdizzle View Post
                    it could last a week or it could last a year. it all depends on the health of the engine really. im not sure about the ringlands but i know its mostly the FRM cylinder walls that make boosting the h22 a PITA. like mentioned already if its your only means of transportation i wouldnt boost it due to the fact that stuff does go wrong with engine that get boosted that arent from the factory more often.
                    The FRM cylinder walls aren't bad at all. They're actually incredibly strong, and fantastic for cooling. The issue with them lies in installing aftermarket pistons. There are only a few brands out there that are compatible, which drastically reduces your options. Mahle is the the most common one, and they're reputed to be pretty heavy compared to others. I've been told that JUN and Cosworth also make FRM compatible pistons (I've also heard that Cosworth makes JUN's pistons). Nothing from those brands comes cheap, though!

Boosting an F22 takes some knowledge. The motor is fairly forgiving, and it's cheap to replace.

An H22 is not as forgiving, due to the high compression. It is also not nearly as cheap to replace.

If you do it, do it very carefully. Do it with the right parts (don't be afraid to ask questions of those with experience, such as mozzandherb). Do it with the knowledge that even the best effort may result in failure. You're putting significant stress on a pretty old motor... and you KNOW you aren't going to drive it like a granny!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                      Can you do it? Yes. Is it safe? Depends on the condition of your motor, and the quality of your tune. If your motor is very healthy, and you have it properly tuned by a professional afterward, then it'll be fine... for a while, anyway. Old motors DO eventually break when you boost them. Keep that in mind.

Honestly, I would never boost my only car. If it's a second car, or you have a backup... go for it. If it's your only car and you rely on it to live, boosting might be a bad idea. Usually, when things go wrong with turbo, they REALLY go wrong!
                      very well put Deev.

its not often that people stop and think about what they are doing to a daily driver.
                      generally they just cant take the abuse that comes with big HP numbers and then the driver is left scratching their head when the car blows up.
                      they wonder why.

there is a turbo planned for the future (on a different motor) but until i get some extra wheels i am keeping the H pretty much stock.
                      i need her to get me places.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Yes another car is a good idea if you need one, even just for the time it takes for the turbo set-up to be completed

SOLD!!
                        Boosted H22
                        375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

I have a turbo project. And a nitrous project. And a supercharged project. I'll also soon have a sunny day project.

And then I have my Fit. Which will remain bone stock in the engine and suspension departments.

If you can't ride your Huffy to work when your car blows up, a turbo is a great risk. I'm not saying it WILL blow up, but it greatly increases the odds. It introduces an entirely new system to the mix, and that system affects the standard systems in ways that they weren't designed to handle (engine, transmission, clutch, tires, brakes...). It's one more thing to break, and one more thing that can help other things to break.

Comment

Are there low compression Mahle pistons and how much more forgiving would the H22 be with those pistons?

Comment

I believe there are low compression pistons designed for turbo, yes.

With the Mahle pistons, assuming they last (I haven't heard either way on them yet... Honda Tech or some Prelude forums may have info there) will then rely on the strength of the FRM sleeves. You can boost until the sleeves crack. FRM is fantastic for high revving NA. For boost, it's strong... but not like an iron Darton sleeve.

Honestly, if you're going to replace the internals on an H22, the best thing to do is to get some Darton or Golden Eagle sleeves. It'll add strength, and open up your piston options considerably.

Comment

Working...
                              X