Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Upper Control Arm Bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Control Arm Bushing?

I went to Sears to get a front end alignment/toe adjustment, and they told me they couldn't do it because I need new Upper Control Arm Bushings. They said when they took my wheel off, they could wiggle the control arm. So, I went to Advance Auto....they don't have 'em, they said I gotta buy the whole upper control arm. Napa, doesn't have 'em. I don't wanna pay 100 dollars for a new control arm, and I need bushings for both of my fronts. That's 200 bucks, that I don't have. Very irritating. Anyone know?
    98' Mustang 3V Swap
    11' VW CC R36

buy the Energy Suspension or Prothane bushings and DIY. the whole front end kit costs around $100 on ebay.. control arm bushings alone shouldn't cost you more than $20.

Comment

I can't find any store that has just the bushings. They say I have to buy the whole upper control arm, which includes the bushings.
      98' Mustang 3V Swap
      11' VW CC R36

Comment

Originally posted by Gotz Cb7 View Post
        I can't find any store that has just the bushings. They say I have to buy the whole upper control arm, which includes the bushings.
        look harder..

Autozone..
        http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...leSelected.htm

or

Energy Suspension
        http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...s.asp?cat=1005

i guess it's around $50 for the whole set..
        Last edited by casterX; 10-17-2008, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Put a WTB thread in the Classifieds. People replace those parts with camber kits on a regular basis, so there must be people that have them lying around collecting dust.

Of course, if your bushings are shot, your upper ball joints may be shot as well. It may be a wise decision to buy new arms anyway.

Comment

Damn, this is puttin' a hurtin' on meeee. Thanks for the link though! I'm on the phone with Autozone right now, tryna figure out if that 1 set, is for both fronts. I didn't even think about Autozone. Where I'm at, we only have an Advance Auto and Napa nearby.
            98' Mustang 3V Swap
            11' VW CC R36

Comment

Thanks, caster. Just got off the phone with Energy Suspension, and it's 46 bucks at Autozone for the complete set, that includes all the bushings for BOTH fronts. Price doesn't seem bad at all.

Yea, Deev. This is actually good that they come in a whole set. I'll most likely replace all the bushings now. I was talking to wvcb7 (he lives near me), and he said something about my ball joints bein' bad since my car likes to shake a bit. I got my tires balanced today, and still felt some shake. So I went to Sears to get an Alignment, and they said they can't do any adjustments with the upper control arm bushings bein' bad. Be cool if they had them in blue!! Red will do though. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and at Sears (just to inform), they charge 74 dollars to do an alignment on both front AND rear, and adjust your Toe if you're lowered. The only thing they don't give, if your car is lowered....is any type of warranty.
              Last edited by Gotz Cb7; 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM.
              98' Mustang 3V Swap
              11' VW CC R36

Comment

Look at your ball joints. If the boots are ripped, they need to be replaced. Having bad ball joints is VERY dangerous. If one fails, you crash. If one fails, it's probably not going to be a 10mph... it'll be over a bump at 70mph. And you will very likely die.

Change your ball joints.

The upper ball joints have to be changed with the upper control arms. You will get new bushings with most upper control arms. There are some on ebay that are decent. Not good... but better than what you have, at least.

If you're lowered, I suggest the TASauto.com adjustable upper control arms. They're the best you'll ever get (they come with an Ingalls adjustable ball joint and Energy Suspension bushings)

Comment

Yea, Autozone didn't have the set. They said they could order it, but I won't be in Pa on Monday (when they'll be in if they ordered 'em), so...I'll just buy 'em online. The boots on my ball joints look pretty decent. No ri[s or anything. My front end just died all at once. I need new rotors, bushings, alignment, etc. It's a work in progresssss.
                  98' Mustang 3V Swap
                  11' VW CC R36

Comment

take your time and do it right. i rush though a changing a ball joint(trying to get to work on time) and it colaped lost control and totaled my car. so rember torque down every bolt.

Comment

Yea, I work at home now, so now I can take stuff off the car for periods of time. The energy suspension kit, comes with allllll the bushings you need for the front end suspension, so I'll be taking the whole control arm (upper and lower) out, and replacing everything. I'm kinda glad this is all happening at once, so I won't have to worry about it after the H is in.

Another question though. I'm on Advance's site right now, and they have a Lower and Upper ball joint, and they seem the same. Are they? From what I've noticed, I only see 1 ball joint on the front control arm setup, and connects the lower and upper arms?
                      98' Mustang 3V Swap
                      11' VW CC R36

Comment

i don't think they are the same.....

as for the bushings. are u sure that it is the bushings that is wrong with the car?

it might be the ball joint on the uca. they usually go bad. i have never heard of the bushings going bad for some reason.

if its the uca you have two options. you can either replace the upc ball join which is pressed in the uca or you can buy the whole uca for about $50 on e bay. some people have good experience with them some don't. its up to you.

good luck and make sure you torque everything down to specs and use the pins..
                        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Yea, I had the wheel off the driver side last night, and the guy was right. You can sorta wiggle the upper control arm a bit. (the part connected to the body of the car, not where the ball joint's connected to the lower arm) Everything's tight, but the bushings are bad. And since my front end needs an alignment and toe adjustment, and I told them about my tires wearing funny....they finally understood when they looked at the tires. They aren't just wearing on the inside. They're wearing as if I've had 'em on the back of the car, and ripped the E-brake a few times, for about 50 feet (they've never been on the rear, nor have I locked my brakes up). There's less tread on some parts of the tire, and more on other parts, which is causing my car to shake. My driver-side wheel is worn a lot more than my passenger one, on the inside. I'ma replace my bushings, ball joints, and get new tires on the same day I go to get an alignment. I should be set.
                          Last edited by Gotz Cb7; 10-20-2008, 05:10 PM.
                          98' Mustang 3V Swap
                          11' VW CC R36

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                            Look at your ball joints. If the boots are ripped, they need to be replaced. Having bad ball joints is VERY dangerous. If one fails, you crash. If one fails, it's probably not going to be a 10mph... it'll be over a bump at 70mph. And you will very likely die.

Change your ball joints.

The upper ball joints have to be changed with the upper control arms. You will get new bushings with most upper control arms. There are some on ebay that are decent. Not good... but better than what you have, at least.

If you're lowered, I suggest the TASauto.com adjustable upper control arms. They're the best you'll ever get (they come with an Ingalls adjustable ball joint and Energy Suspension bushings)
                            Just get a whole new arm with everything at tasauto for $60............

I recommend to replace both your Upper Control Arms..........

If you cheap out you will regret it later when your ball joint goes out and its not worth it to replace an upper ball joint.........my 2 cents

Comment

I'm replacing the bushings, and the upper ball joint on both sides.
                              98' Mustang 3V Swap
                              11' VW CC R36

Comment

Working...
                              X