Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help please

Wut does is mean where there is white smoke coming out the muffler?

Check your coolant to see if its mixing with your oil, could be a blown head gasket.
    1993 Accord EX
    2011 Subaru STi

Comment

How do u check to c if they are mixing?

Comment

Before jumping to conclusions, when does it smoke? If it is in the morning right after you start your car, it's probably just steam from the condensation in your exhaust system.
        1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by benji View Post
          Before jumping to conclusions, when does it smoke? If it is in the morning right after you start your car, it's probably just steam from the condensation in your exhaust system.
          This is true.

If its mixing though your coolant will look like shit and mud.
          1993 Accord EX
          2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204 View Post
            Check your coolant to see if its mixing with your oil, could be a blown head gasket.
            Originally posted by benji View Post
            it happensz wen I am driving after it yass already been warmed up wen I floor it or like racing for example

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204 View Post
              This is true.

If its mixing though your coolant will look like shit and mud.
              You should be able to let your car sit for a while on level ground and all of the water/coolant will collect at the bottom of your oil pan, and you should be able to open the drain plug a portion of the way and any water will come out before oil.

Comment

Rather than draining the oil to check on it, it is a lot easier just to look on your oil dipstick. If the oil begins to looks cloudy/muddy instead of somewhere on the spectrum between clear amber and black, then antifreeze is mixing in with it.

If you have a coolant leaak into the combustion chambers it is either because of a faulty head gasket or a crack in the engine block itself allowing coolant in to the combustion chambers. Then when the chamber fires up, the coolant is expelled as vapor in the exhaust. Hence the white smoke.

YOu may also smell a sweet smell--that is the propylene glycol in the coolant, which smells sweet (but is poisonous). A sweet smell indicates a coolant leak somehwere is turning to steam and getting to your nose, and white smoke in the exhaust tells you that it is happening in the combustion chamber if not elsewhere as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSzSoLDIeR View Post
                  it happensz wen I am driving after it yass already been warmed up wen I floor it or like racing for example
                  It happening when the throttle is being used hard is indicative that it is a crack in the block or the head gasket, I believe. Because when the engine runs at higher RPMS, the coolant pressure increases (water pump is run by the crankshaft/timing belt). Higher pressure in the coolant is probably causing coolant to get forced into the combustion chamber either thru the head gasket or through a small crack in the block.

As to what to do, 1) stop flooring it for now and 2) A leakdown test will tell you if there is a leak in the head gasket, and between which cylinders.

At that point, the way to fix it is to pull the head off the engine and have it block and head checked for warpage and then replace the head gasket.

I'm sure there's a way to check the block itself for a leak, but I don't know what it is. In all likelihood the problem is your head gasket, not ta crack in the block, though.

The longer you let it go, the more the temperature differential between different cylinders will cause the head to warp, I think--others who know more about this can confirm or deny this.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by DrSzSoLDIeR View Post
                    That might just be the oil that is left on the cylinder walls getting burned. Most cars will puff a little smoke when you are driving hard, because the piston rings don't scrape all of the oil off of the walls, especially when you are driving very hard.

Are you loosing any coolant? Does it smoke at idle after you have been driving for a while (long enough that it has warmed up)?

When you get some time, pull all of your spark plugs. Carefully check all of the electrodes for a greenish tint. If you find any that have it, then you are definitely burning antifreeze, and that would confirm a leak. However, if there isn't a greenish tint, that doesn't definitely mean that there isn't a leak, just that it's small and inconsistent.

A leak down test will also give you important info regarding this, but a lot of people don't have what is needed to do that.

While it may be a cracked head gasket/head/etc, that's pretty expensive to fix, so it is good to check a lot of possibilities.

Comment

What most people have said. Basically your screwed.

Comment

Working...
                      X