Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

water methanol injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water methanol injection

I've heard a lot about this but...... what is it?

There is water injection, and there is methanol injection.

Both are methods of combating detonation. You don't need to worry about either unless you have a turbo, and are pushing a considerable amount of power.

Comment

Well im saving up parts to go turbo and ive heard a couple people like chessboxer talking about it. How does it prevent detonation?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

That explains it pretty well. I suppose you are right in the way you asked about it... it's just a new way of phrasing it to me.

Comment

thanks deev

Comment

You can do either, but a mix or water and methanol is very nice.

Here is a quick summary.

With the water, you can cool the combustion, which will act as a means of lowering EGT's essentially. It steam cleans the engine as well, so that is a plus also.

With the methanol, it acts as an octane booster, so you can run more aggressive timing often times, similar to what you can do with race gas.

COmbining the 2 gives the best of both worlds IMO.

There is a LOT more to it than what I posted, but in a nutshell, that covers it.
            2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
            2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

lol.. look at meh grasshoppa.. all grown up hehehe :wink:

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

hahaha!

You indeed were the one who convincd me to get it finally, though I am still untuned on it, yarg.
                2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

dont remind me mike.. im still pissed.. just havent bugged u about it but thanks for bringing it back up.. will be sure to bust ur sack on aim
                  Last edited by WiKKeDV16; 10-13-2008, 11:41 AM.

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by chessboxer View Post
                    You can do either, but a mix or water and methanol is very nice.

Here is a quick summary.

With the water, you can cool the combustion, which will act as a means of lowering EGT's essentially. It steam cleans the engine as well, so that is a plus also.

With the methanol, it acts as an octane booster, so you can run more aggressive timing often times, similar to what you can do with race gas.

COmbining the 2 gives the best of both worlds IMO.

There is a LOT more to it than what I posted, but in a nutshell, that covers it.
                    I've seen a lot of people claim it lowers EGT's, but the actual proof I've seen says other wise. The EGT's are usually just about the same. Not only that, but the ECT's are also the same. If it did infact cool the burn temp, the engine coolant temp would also drop. More timing calls for more fuel. This mix means higher EGT's. Higher than what is safe. What meth/water injection does is CONTROL the EGT's from getting higher that they're supposed to be. (that's what people missunderstand. The egt's dont actually get lower, they just are more controlled)

It cooling effect works in theory, but what people forget is that the cooling doesn't last long enough to have any effect. By the time the atomized water enters the combustion chamber it's all vapor, which mean it's not even cool at that point. Water boils around 100* and most N/A IAT's are between 100-130 depending on intake system. They can be even hotter with boost.

The water adds more oxygen, effectively raising the detonation threshold. More oxygen also means more power.

Meth has a much better cooling effect, but still not enough to actually cool the combustion chamber enough to make any differences.

What any combo of this injection does is increase knock limit. The main reason for the increase is because you're creating a much stronger chemical bond, which translates to a potential higher chemical energy. It takes a lot more energy to break that stronger bond(this is the higher knock limit, you can add more timing)

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Working...
                    X