Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

struts

the front upper strut was too big so i had to take out one of the nuts. will that affect anything?
    Attached Files

So it doesnt fit because you have that strut bar? I dont think its a good thing but maybe that strut bar will compensate for it?
    AD5OS
    FOLDING@home

Comment

I'm confused. The strut was too big? Then you have the wrong strut.

The strut bar was too big? Then you're doing something wrong, or you have the wrong bar.

Where did you leave nuts off? One of the 3 that hold the strut up? Bad idea to leave ANY of those off.

Comment

new strut mounts come with new nuts... are these new strut mounts?
        AD5OS
        FOLDING@home

Comment

It took me a little while to figure out what you were talking about. You left off one of the lock nuts on the bar length adjustment, correct?

If the male / female threads on the adjuster are a tightish fit then it's probably not an issue, but if the threads are loosish then over time they might get 'hammered' by the forces passing through the bar, and get looser, maybe. Worst concievable case would be that in the long term any aluminium thread may strip out. Ideally you don't want any movement in the threads as this will allow some movement between the towers, which is what the tower brace is there to prevent.

I'd find a machinist and have him (her) remove some length off the bar with a lathe, or you could do it yourself with a hack saw and file (making sure the end of the bar is nicely square).
          Regards from Oz,
          John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
            It took me a little while to figure out what you were talking about. You left off one of the lock nuts on the bar length adjustment, correct?

If the male / female threads on the adjuster are a tightish fit then it's probably not an issue, but if the threads are loosish then over time they might get 'hammered' by the forces passing through the bar, and get looser, maybe. Worst concievable case would be that in the long term any aluminium thread may strip out. Ideally you don't want any movement in the threads as this will allow some movement between the towers, which is what the tower brace is there to prevent.

I'd find a machinist and have him (her) remove some length off the bar with a lathe, or you could do it yourself with a hack saw and file (making sure the end of the bar is nicely square).
            ya its pretty tightish. thanks i thought of cutting some off and filing it but was just wandering any sideeffects for leaving it the way it is with out one of the lock nuts on the bar length adjustment.

Comment

danger!

At my job we do struts everyday and leaving out nuts is very dangerous over time the others might come loose wich will lead to to catastrophic results
              VTEC DUDE!!!!!!!

Comment

He's not talking about the coilover retaining nuts (i.e. the two or three nuts at the top of each tower holding the coilover in place), but about the lock nuts on the tower brace bar itself.
                Regards from Oz,
                John.

Comment

did you have the front of the car off the ground while installing?

you should do it that way and turn the bar to puch out on the strut towers, therefore causing a stiff strut tower eliminating as much movement as possible

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Working...
                  X