Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Spindle nut removal, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spindle nut removal, please help!

I'm trying to replace the rotors today, but I just couldn't get this nut out. It seems to be already beaten up but I tried to separate the nut just a little bit, but still tight. I've used an impact wrench with 400lb tq and breaker bar, still can't do it. Please help me out
    Attached Files

its not really beaten, its supposed to be crushed into that gap there. u just need to pry it up so the nut will turn

Comment

works every time

Comment

air compressor and a ir titanium air gun. works every time

92ex coupe h22
        93 240sx with silvia front end (kadet in the works)
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1894990

Comment

when using the cheater bar method find a buddy who is on the portly side. have him stand on the breaker bar setup. the nut should fly off quickly
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

quality air gun = over $250, metal beam = free

Comment

he might have a friend that might have one. but the breaker bar with a heavier set friend would also work

92ex coupe h22
              93 240sx with silvia front end (kadet in the works)
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1894990

Comment

Yeah, those nuts are pretty tight. Make sure you tap out the lock from inside that groove. I got pissed off when I couldnt break mine loose with my 2ft. 1/2" drive Snap-On ratchet, I was standing and bouncing on it. Yeah, I turned that broken ratchet in for warranty two days later. I brought my IR 3/4" impact home the next day and it didnt even break a sweat on those nuts.
                "Brought to you by Carls Jr."

Comment

Thanks guys. Btw, I'm only 140 lbs, do ya think the beam pipe will work?. Anyways, I'll keep prying on that thang and we'll see what I can come up with tomorrow. Thanks again for your thoughts and what a wonderful diagram that is!

Comment

I used a good Blue Point Torque Gun I Think it also helps if you have a big compressor....one that runs with 220 outlet!

Comment

If you dont unstake that nut and force it off it will cut your spindle threads. A 120v outlet compressor will work as long as it can put out 90-120psi pressure and has enough volume in the tank to operate the gun without dropping pressure. I use a 110v 30gallon craftsmen compressor for home, it works good.
                      "Brought to you by Carls Jr."

Comment

@rexload:

quality air gun = over $250, metal beam = priceless

Last edited by batever; 09-24-2008, 11:13 PM.

Comment

bring your breaker bar to the hardware store and get a 4-5' steel pipe at the hardware store that will fit over the handle as a cheater bar.(the kind of steel pipe they use for plumbing). (don't use a ratchet, it will just break the mechanism).

If your breaker bar isn't substantially built and you think it might bite the dust under this treatment, , you might want to drop by Autozone and borrow one of theirs before going by the hardware store. They lend out a really substantial 2' bar that I liked so much I let them keep my $$ and kept the bar for myself. It has a really big handle that actually won't fit in the pipe I usually use as a cheater bar, which is why I say go get it first before you go to the hardware store so you can get the right diameter steel pipe.

5' of length times say 120 lbs of force=600 ft lbs torque. that should do it. If you go wild on it and sit on it you can get more.

and it will only cost you 10 bucks, not 250 bucks like the really good impact wrench will.

of course, as others mentioned, you need to use a hammer and punch or whatever to "unstake " the axle nut before you do this.

don't forget to "stake" the nut back in when you replace it after the job is done.. it is a safety mechanism to make sure your hub doesn't come off the axle, no matter what.

Comment

bring your breaker bar to the hardware store have them cut you a 4-5' section of steel pipe that will fit over the handle as a cheater bar.(the kind of steel pipe they use for plumbing). (don't use a ratchet, it will just break the mechanism).

If your breaker bar isn't substantially built and you think it might bite the dust under this treatment, , you might want to drop by Autozone and borrow one of theirs before going by the hardware store. They lend out a really substantial 2' bar that I liked so much I let them keep my $$ and kept the bar for myself. It has a really big handle that actually won't fit in the pipe I usually use as a cheater bar, which is why I say go get it first before you go to the hardware store so you can get the right diameter steel pipe.

5' of length times say 120 lbs of force=600 ft lbs torque. that should do it. If you go wild on it and sit on it you can get more.

and it will only cost you 10 bucks, not 250 bucks like the really good impact wrench will.

of course, as others mentioned, you need to use a hammer and punch or whatever to "unstake " the axle nut before you do this.

don't forget to "stake" the nut back in when you replace it after the job is done.. it is a safety mechanism to make sure your hub doesn't come off the axle, no matter what.

Comment

another good idea if you're able to is to support the underside of the socket so that it has less chance of tipping down and falling off and rounding off some of the edges of the nut.

hahahahaha just picturing a 140lb guy jumping on a bar trying to loosen a nut. guess i chouldn't laugh too hard tho, i'm only 149 so i could just as easily be the one jumping. i know, please forgive me.
                              Originally posted by HardInThePaint
                              Girls should most definitely rep the shocker. Embrace the shocker.

Be one with the shocker.

My ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187897

Comment

Working...
                              X