Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Upper Ball Joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Ball Joints

I was wondering if its hard to change them on the CB? if not then what do I have to do to install them the right way ? also will I need an alignment?

It's easy. Just remember to put a cotter pin in the castle nut. Aftet that you need an alignment.

There are two nuts on each side on the engine bay. One on the passenger side is right below the fuse box and you need to move the fuse box bit. I did not use a balljoint puller since once I take the castle nut off the joints it went right off.

Installation is reverse of removal.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by Cakeboy View Post
      It's easy. Just remember to put a cotter pin in the castle nut. Aftet that you need an alignment.

There are two nuts on each side on the engine bay. One on the passenger side is right below the fuse box and you need to move the fuse box bit. I did not use a balljoint puller since once I take the castle nut off the joints it went right off.

Thanks for the help. A friend of mines did his but it makes noise on his and i didn't want that to happen to me. is there a position that the ball joint has to be when installed??

Comment

The upper ball joint! The one from the upper control arm?
        That thing is gonna cost you like 20-50 bucks.......then it has to be pressed on for $20 or it has to be fitted with bolts. A year later the bushings on the arm will go bad and your gonna have to replace the whole arm. I recommend to buy both upper control arms new......Tasauto has them for 60 each....It comes with everything you need ready to bolt on!

Comment

You are stating about the whole arm.

Anyway I suggest what he said.^^

Don't just replace the joint , replace the whole arm.
          Feeding trolls is my profession and hobby.
          I have the ability to speak and write the idiot language.
          Masters Degree on Trolling & Counter-Trolling

Comment

Originally posted by PIMPCORD View Post
            You are stating about the whole arm.

Anyway I suggest what he said.^^

Don't just replace the joint , replace the whole arm.
            Exactly. Replacing just the joint can be dangerous, as pulling the old one and pressing in the new one could weaken the already thin metal. Just to show that Honda has the same train of thought... there is no Honda replacement part number for just the upper ball joint.

Replacing the whole upper arm is best. If you are lowered, or plan on lowering, I suggest the adjustable upper control arm from TASauto.com. I've got them on my car, and couldn't be happier.

And yes, any time you replace ANY suspension component, it's a good idea to get an alignment. If you have any Firestone shops near you, you can buy a lifetime alignment package for about $180. Get 3 alignments and you already saved money! I got it, because I'll have my CB7 for a long long loooong time.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
              lifetime alignment package for about $180. Get 3 alignments and you already saved money! I got it, because I'll have my CB7 for a long long loooong time.
              I got it when it was still priced $140.
              haha lifetime alignment ftw! I do it every 4k miles

Comment

I got it when it was still priced $140.
                haha lifetime alignment ftw! I do it every 4k miles
                x2. People at the story hate me for coming so often but who cares. It's free and I can watch them so they don't screw me over and leave a bolt loose or something.

But yeah, change them out yourself. It's not hard at all, but I would recommend going to Advanced Auto Parts and renting for free a balljoint press kit and balljoint puller kit. Free, and it makes the process much simpler. If you can't do that, BFH works wonders.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
                  x2. People at the story hate me for coming so often but who cares. It's free and I can watch them so they don't screw me over and leave a bolt loose or something.
                  Well if they hate it , why even bother putting a generous offer.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                    Exactly. Replacing just the joint can be dangerous, as pulling the old one and pressing in the new one could weaken the already thin metal. Just to show that Honda has the same train of thought... there is no Honda replacement part number for just the upper ball joint.

Replacing the whole upper arm is best. If you are lowered, or plan on lowering, I suggest the adjustable upper control arm from TASauto.com. I've got them on my car, and couldn't be happier.

And yes, any time you replace ANY suspension component, it's a good idea to get an alignment. If you have any Firestone shops near you, you can buy a lifetime alignment package for about $180. Get 3 alignments and you already saved money! I got it, because I'll have my CB7 for a long long loooong time.
                    Yes I was talking about the control arm. my question is what position will I have to place it in to install it? the bolts come lose on the lower part and wanted to know how tight it has to be because I dont want to rip the rubber Part.

heres a paint setup I did

Comment

Ah, ok. I just tightened them until a reasonable amount of force couldn't move it anymore... I believe a shop will adjust it when you get an alignment anyway.

Comment

if you are gonna do the lower ball joints at the same time might as well do the wheel bearings since you have to pull the knuckle off to get them out.
                        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Thats very good intel about firestones lifetime allignment package, I was unaware of that. Ill be getting that soon. Yeah, replace the whole arm, lower ball joints, and inspect the rest while your in there. In currently nearing the completion of that same project. New arms, lower ball joints, front rotors, all struts. I chose to run my wheel bearings, they feel perfect. I have a 12 ton press in my garage, which made it easier to press in my new ball joints and remove remove the hubs without destroying the bearings.
                          "Brought to you by Carls Jr."

Comment

how can you tell the upper ball joints are bad while driving
                            does it make a noise?

i have been hearing a clunk noise near the front passenger side when going over bumps in the road

PSN: DJ-dlatino
                            My ride
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140370

Comment

I have been hearing clunk too even with new coils/struts and was wondering which ball joint I need to pop in order to change axles..
                              RoaR MRT

Comment

Working...
                              X