Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need Syncros...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it might not be the problem. my clutch is slipping to. It might not be releasing all the way. like deevergote said, a bent shift fork. But for better diagnosis Im pulling the tranny out when I get the new clutch. As for carbon coated syncros. I heard its a good investment. www.gearspeed.com

Comment

www.gearspeedinc.com Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by accord...black View Post
        I know it might not be the problem. my clutch is slipping to. It might not be releasing all the way. like deevergote said, a bent shift fork. But for better diagnosis Im pulling the tranny out when I get the new clutch. As for carbon coated syncros. I heard its a good investment. www.gearspeed.com
        Yes, I've heard that as well... and I also linked to that same company in my first post in this thread.

However, do you have the ability to rebuild a transmission? That's what I was getting at... They don't just slap on there like a clutch. It's a very involved process. You seem impressed by the $50-each price, but the parts aren't where the money is spent on a transmission rebuild... it's the labor.

Your best bet, if you want it rebuilt with GearSpeed's carbon synchros, is to send your transmission to them and have them do the full rebuild. They're experts, and they do fantastic work. Expect to pay over $1000, though. The last person I talked to that went to them spent $1200... that was 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
          revmatching should eliminate the need for synchros.
          Yep, i learned that in the CJ5 Jeep scrambler i owned for a week... i was so used to my CB that i didn't even think about it when i would shift too fast and i would grind...

Comment

well deevergote, i am very mechanically inclined, but. I have never tackled a trannys internals. The syncros, I figured if I had the money and the tranny out. might as well do the syncros as well. I know the basics of the tranny. but i know id consult cb7 for the rebuild. mainly i need to fix the main problems before winter hits. with my job i dont have alot of time to mess with her. plus my situation with other obligations have a hold on my wallet right now. I appreciate the help and insight.

Comment

Rebuilding a transmisson is one of the more difficult things to attempt.

You'll want a proper shop manual for all the correct specs, new seals, and I believe there are some specialty tools needed to do the job the right way. I'm far from an expert, but I know a fair amount about these cars. I have a Helms manual. I've studied the transmission section extensively, since I need a rebuild as well. I determined that a transmission rebuild was out of my league after reading through the manual... at least as far as doing it on the car that I intend to work correctly right away. I would probably need a few tries. You may be more mechanically inclined. You may be able to pull it off.

I apologize if I seem to be talking down to you... I've just been around here WAY too long, spoonfeeding kiddies that say "I want to put a B18 into my car!" or "I'm gonna supercharge it!" Or, my very favorite... "I'm gonna buy a Megan Racing header, and AEM cold air intake, and a turbo!"

Many people read a little, get a "great" idea, and go at it halfassed... What results is wasted money and a loss of enthusiasm for the car. You definitely do seem to be smarter than the average newbie, and I don't mean to talk to you as if you were spewing ghetto-slang and bragging about your "turbo V4" (I've seen that one too...) Still, if you need this car working right before winter on a budget, I wouldn't suggest attempting to tackle a transmission rebuild. My advice would be to get a working transmission, and then attempt a rebuild of this one as a project when you have the time and money. Then you can teach me how to do it

Comment

thanks. I've had 4 cb7s so far. and only did one swap stock f22 to anther stock f22. a few clutches and tons of body and interior work. I think im gonna buy the clutch kit with flywheel that i found on ebay. buy it now for about $200. i know the throw out bearing is toast and i think your right about the shift fork being bent. Im pretty sure a new clutch, a straight fork and a new throwout bearing will hold me through the winter. i wont be driving it but 30 min a day. and i wouldnt put the new flywheel in yet either. i dont have a torque wrench. id save that for the rebuilt tranny.
                i've known about cb7 for a good 3-4 years. you guys have helped me alot. but thanks for taking the time. hope to get out of this beginner forum sometime soon. i think some people think just cause someones in the beginner forums they must be a beginner mechanic. ill have to get a manual as well for proper procedures and torque specs.

Comment

Working...
                X