Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Holy spark plug gap - More MPG research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy spark plug gap - More MPG research

And here comes another installment of MPG research for CB7's

Latest issue "SPARK PLUG GAP"

So I tuned up my old gal, new spark plugs new wires the whole 9 yards. All NGK and to correct spec.

There is a 45mile stretch to my parents house that is 100% highway driving, I set my cruise control to 55mph, I yeilded 31.25 mpg

Then I did the tune up, the spark plugs were OLD, at least 60K on them. When I took them out they were gapped to 0.052, WTF? When I put them in I gapped them to .044. I thought odd, installed the new spark plugs and gapped them to .044( in spec).

I drove the same 45mile stretch, almost identical to previous conditions with CC set to 55mph, I only yielded 27.6 MPG

Now both are over the EPA for a 1990 automatic

However, I have to wonder....will spark plug gap really do that?

Anyone know or wish to comment? I'm about to go regap the new plugs to at LEAST .052 as the old worn out plugs were since they yielded more MPG but I want to make sure I'm not crazy first.

And for those wondering, I always fill up at the same gas station so its not the gas(shell).
    90 accord EX automatic F22A4 232,500
    DIY ram intake
    0gauge/4gauge BIG 3
    stock alt rewound to 120amps
    optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
    fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
    2004 Jeep Liberty v6
    2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec

Can you do an A-B-A test by regapping them to .052 and repeating the test?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

I'm seriously considering it, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this with respect to cb7s.

I've heard some old muscle car guys say its possible with respect to spark plug gap to increase MPG.

But needless to say i was shocked at what my tune up did to my MPG.
      90 accord EX automatic F22A4 232,500
      DIY ram intake
      0gauge/4gauge BIG 3
      stock alt rewound to 120amps
      optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
      fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
      2004 Jeep Liberty v6
      2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec

Comment

Originally posted by 90Haccord View Post
        I'm seriously considering it, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this with respect to cb7s.

I've heard some old muscle car guys say its possible with respect to spark plug gap to increase MPG.

But needless to say i was shocked at what my tune up did to my MPG.
        Yes, spark plug gap can do that, but it is at the expense of everything else in your ignition system. More gap means more resistance to spark - the coil will have to generate higher voltages in order to jump that gap. That leads to more wear on the ignitor, cap, and rotor. Higher voltages in the ignition wires leads to a greater chance of the spark jumping out somewhere other than at the end of the plug, which leads to misfires.

I can't say how long it would take to start burning stuff out, but it will happen eventually. The question is, is it cheaper to run more gap (better MPG), even though you will most likely be replacing other (high dollar) parts sooner than you should be? Not to mention the fact that you will probably see less performance out of your engine.
        1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

true, I go by honda since they have the smart engineers

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

yeah I'm not gonna mess w/ the gap. I'll just leave it at .044 or whatever Honda recommends and only use NGK plugs. I'm averaging about 30mpg on the highway so I'm pretty happy w/ my plugs where they're at.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
            X