Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Question about purchasing exhaust parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about purchasing exhaust parts

Are either of these a good deal??

http://tinyurl.com/6s5qzr

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/810314713.html

I've never bought exhaust parts before and I'm really stingy!
    Good things happen to people who know me.

A good deal as in inexpensive? Certainly.

A good deal as in you're going to like the way it sounds? Probably not. Both are cheap garbage parts.

If you're stingy, then you've picked the wrong hobby. You're going to end up with a car that looks, sounds, and performs like crap if you keep buying cheapo parts. Buying fewer parts, but better parts, is a smarter way to spend your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Les View Post
      Are either of these a good deal??

http://tinyurl.com/6s5qzr

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/810314713.html

I've never bought exhaust parts before and I'm really stingy!
      the CL post might be a good deal depending on the brand of the pipes.

the CL poster doesnt say anything about it tho.

if its any name brand system then i'd say its probly worth it.

the Ebay is garbage.
      forget you ever saw that.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post

If you're stingy, then you've picked the wrong hobby.

Good point. I've looked over the sticky about exhaust and seen some of the gear that other people are running. But I don't recall seeing any prices. Thanx for the input and I'll keep looking!

Comment

you can only pick two:
          reliable
          fast
          cheap

Comment

Originally posted by FNEG View Post
            you can only pick two:
            reliable
            fast
            cheap
            cheap and reliable??
            never heard of it.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

If you want a header that looks nice and won't totally break the bank, go for DC Sports. Megan Racing and OBX are the lowest you should EVER go. Anything cheaper than those is trash. None of them will provide significant gains, so the only real reason to get one is for improved appearance... and maybe sound.
              If you want performance, there's only ONE brand worth the money... and it's worth every penny. Unfortunately, it costs a whole lot of pennies. The price is very reasonable for what it is, but it's still quite pricey. That would be the Bisimoto header. It's a work of art, in both appearance and performance. If you had one, your car would certainly be humped on a regular basis.

Exhaust... A'pexi World Sport 2 is always my choice. I don't have one, but I envy those that do! It hangs low, though... so if you're slammed, it may be an issue when going over bumps. The GReddy SP is also a good choice. Tanabe makes some decent ones for us as well, though the only one I've ever heard was a bit loud and raspy for what I'd expect from a company that prides themselves on their sound.

Cheap exhausts sound like cheap exhausts. They rust like cheap exhausts. They fit like cheap exhausts.
              Cheap headers leak, crack, and generally sound horrible.

Comment

[QUOTE=deevergote.;1632247]If you had one, your car would certainly be humped on a regular basis.QUOTE]

Thanx for the tips. I'm reading all I can. Narrowing down the choices makes life a lot easier. I really just want a quiet exhaust.

I'm probably going to keep the car mostly stock for now and just try to get it to normal operating status. I've had so many things to fix on it and lot's more to come (tires, brakes, transmission, speed sensor, exhaust, antenna, wheel bearings, etc)! Every time I turn around the car needs something else. But I'm enjoying working on the car and learning.

But one question: what is "humped"??? Ripped off?

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
                  the CL post might be a good deal depending on the brand of the pipes.
                  I have to DISAGREE with you on that. Big time. Pipe is pipe. You go to an exhaust shop and have them bend 2.5" pipe for you for your exhaust. You buy a cheap ass catback exhaust system. It's still mandrel bent pipe. Maybe the muffler's a cheap pos, but the piping has nothing to do with it. If it's some thin cheap ass metal they're using for the pipes, or the welds suck ass then it's a bad buy. But a friend of mine had a full catback Megan, yea cheap shit he got for like $100....pipes were solid as hell, nice welds, etc. Greddy mandrel bent pipe isn't going to give you more power over Megan mandrel bent pipe.

That's NOT to say that one has a straighter design than the other, which MAY result in better performance. But pipe is pipe as long as it's smooth and big, not jagged and small/restrictive like stock piping.
                  VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Les View Post
                    But one question: what is "humped"??? Ripped off?

Comment

Ive been trying to do some research on headers for my f22a6. I found a few that say they are carb legal. I checked out the bisimoto header, amazing! Maybe a noob question, but would the bisimoto be legit at a smog station? If not, then which ones would be and are they any good?
                      "Brought to you by Carls Jr."

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                        I have to DISAGREE with you on that. Big time. Pipe is pipe. You go to an exhaust shop and have them bend 2.5" pipe for you for your exhaust. You buy a cheap ass catback exhaust system. It's still mandrel bent pipe. Maybe the muffler's a cheap pos, but the piping has nothing to do with it. If it's some thin cheap ass metal they're using for the pipes, or the welds suck ass then it's a bad buy. But a friend of mine had a full catback Megan, yea cheap shit he got for like $100....pipes were solid as hell, nice welds, etc. Greddy mandrel bent pipe isn't going to give you more power over Megan mandrel bent pipe.

That's NOT to say that one has a straighter design than the other, which MAY result in better performance. But pipe is pipe as long as it's smooth and big, not jagged and small/restrictive like stock piping.
                        pipe is most certainly not just pipe.
                        you proved my point for me by stating that your boy got a "crap" system for 100bux and it had superior welds to the type "x" brand.

in terms of flow there is no difference between two brands UNLESS one has a proven superior design. but there are most definitely weight advantages over certain types of metals against another. along with longetivity and appearance depending on the effort put into by the manufacturer.

aluma coated mild steel crap is just that. it will rust over time. period. requiring replacement.
                        a nice set of stainless is far and away a better improvement over stock.
                        less replacement means less downtime.

my point was that DEPENDING (theres that word again) on what this particular CL poster claimed possesion of that it MAY or MAY NOT be a good buy.

DEPENDING not ASSUMING

these two terms are a killer in our world.
                        dont mix them up, it could cost you.

Comment

Which I said, unless it has a better flow design...well actually I said, straighter, which I thought would imply a better flow.
                          VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                            Which I said, unless it has a better flow design...well actually I said, straighter, which I thought would imply a better flow.
                            right.

so why are you disagreeing with me if it is potentially a good buy?

Comment

Originally posted by totaldoughnut View Post
                              Ive been trying to do some research on headers for my f22a6. I found a few that say they are carb legal. I checked out the bisimoto header, amazing! Maybe a noob question, but would the bisimoto be legit at a smog station? If not, then which ones would be and are they any good?
                              The Bisimoto header is not CARB exempt, as far as I know (I may be wrong). I don't know if it ever will be, as it is extremely expensive to make a product so. Most CARB exempt products are expensive for this very reason. The Bisimoto header is expensive due to the extremely high quality of the piece, plus the HUGE amount of research and engineering that went into it.

I believe OBX headers are CARB exempt. They're cheap, but they sell a metric butt-ton of them... which is why they can keep the price down. They make their money in volume.

The only header that offers any significant gains is the Bisimoto header. Get a larger collector welded to a DC Sports header, and it might provide decent gains... The DC Sports header is probably the highest quality "cheaper" header you're going to find. It is also CARB exempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X