Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

struts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

struts?

Someone may have already asked/answered this question but anyways what do you guys think are the best struts to put on our cb's once they're lowered? I put my coilovers on over a year ago and ever since my ride was lowered I've been riding on blown shocks, awesome! Not really, but anyways I've looked all over and have pretty much decided on Tokico Blues, what do you guys think?
    Still hustlin that Old Skool.......it never ends.

vv My Member's Ride Thread vv
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=123371

I have Tein SS adjustable coilovers. Good ride quality and you adjust to make them stiffer or softer.

Comment

Tokico Blues are stock replacement. They work for some, they blow for others. Overall, they're a cheap, non-performance alternative.

Koni Yellows are the best struts for our cars. Lifetime replacement warranty, great adjustability, comfortable when you want them to be, sporty when you want them to be.

Also, the quality of your springs come into play as well. Since you have coilover sleeves, I doubt you have anything worth riding on. There are only 2 decent brands... Ground Control and Skunk2... and I still wouldn't touch either.

Comment

Originally posted by NozMonster View Post
        I have Tein SS adjustable coilovers. Good ride quality and you adjust to make them stiffer or softer.
        Yes, they're decent... and would be a good replacement for his crappy sleeves... but it doesn't really answer his question.

Comment

I hear ya about the coilovers, although I actually like mine. I had originally planned on just putting lowering springs on but wasn't sure if I was going to get the ride height that I was looking for. What do you guys think about the Illuminas? I just don't want to blow another set of shocks after I replace the ones that I have on now.

Comment

i bought the Ebay special lowering springs and used Monroe SensaTracs all around with new strut mounts. so far so good on the SensaTracs !
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

SensaTracs are the worst dampers I've ever bought (years ago for a horrid Mitsubishi). They are touted as being soft ("for comfort") at / near the static ride height, but stiffer above and below this, so as the suspension moves up or down it starts off soft then gets stiffer ("for improved handling"...).

Monroe achieves this not with any clever valving, but by machining vertical grooves in the damper wall so that fluid can bleed (read 'leak') past the seals and valves. These grooves are located at the position where the piston sits at static height, but peter out above and below this position.

The reality of this is that the dampers are in effect 'pre-worn out' at / near static ride height, which is very bad for handling response. For 'performance' driving', SensaTracs are even worse than the soft OE units.
              Regards from Oz,
              John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                SensaTracs are the worst dampers I've ever bought (years ago for a horrid Mitsubishi). They are touted as being soft ("for comfort") at / near the static ride height, but stiffer above and below this, so as the suspension moves up or down it starts off soft then gets stiffer ("for improved handling"...).

Monroe achieves this not with any clever valving, but by machining vertical grooves in the damper wall so that fluid can bleed (read 'leak') past the seals and valves. These grooves are located at the position where the piston sits at static height, but peter out above and below this position.

The reality of this is that the dampers are in effect 'pre-worn out' at / near static ride height, which is very bad for handling response. For 'performance' driving', SensaTracs are even worse than the soft OE units.

i coulddn,'t argue with the price

free from my old job, inventory error
                http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Even new junk struts are better than old blown ones... but yeah, getting a quality brand is important.

Illuminas are decent. Not the best, but not bad. Stay away from KYB AGX if you're going lower than 1.5". The warranty is void after that, and the ride is pretty lousy. I've had 3 different types: stock, KYB AGX, and Koni Yellows. Koni is the best by far. My Konis are tired, and I got them used... and they're STILL the best.

Comment

Right on, I appreciate the info. I've done quite a bit of research and really believe that the Skunk2's would probably be the best overall but I don't have alot of $ to play with. I was also considering pulling my coilovers off and throwing some Eibach's on instead, haven't quite decided yet though. Where is a good place to get the Koni's for a decent price?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                      My Konis are tired, and I got them used... and they're STILL the best.
                      The only time it might be a good idea to fit lesser dampers than Koni, is to tide you over while the Konis are being reconditioned...
                      Regards from Oz,
                      John.

Comment

Originally posted by sideswipe View Post
                        I was also considering pulling my coilovers off and throwing some Eibach's on instead, haven't quite decided yet though.
                        I wouldn't waste any of your budget messing around with changing springs when what you need is a good set of dampers. I'll bet your cheapo springs will work much much better with decent dampers fitted, but no spring no matter what it is will work well with crap dampers...
                        Regards from Oz,
                        John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                          The only time it might be a good idea to fit lesser dampers than Koni, is to tide you over while the Konis are being reconditioned...
                          Agreed... though many of the kids on here want the lowered look, and don't care so much about performance. In that case, I'd recommend anything that will hold up to a lowered stance (especially since the kiddies like the "slammed" look...) If performance doesn't matter, then safety is the only remaining concern... and it's often overlooked.

Konis are some of the best you can get for the CB Accord, without getting custom stuff from better companies. With a lifetime warranty, they're a fantastic purchase (though you DO have to return them to have them repaired or replaced...)

KYB, Tokico, Tein, and a few other well-known brands are decent, and will hold up to a drop MUCH better than 18 year old tubes that are already mostly dead.

Comment

I guess to change the question a little, I'm seriously tight on cash right now and need new struts that will handle my lowered stance without blowing again like the stocks did but also be cost effective, so what would the consensus be on the best choice? Besides the fact that I hate having to back down from a challenge just because certain roads around here will make my ride bounce like a basketball!

Comment

I'm riding on GC coilovers w/ KYB AGXs, I love them, never had an issue at all w/ them. 4 way adjustable for soft/firmness in front and 8 way adjustable for rear. I'm lowered about 2 inches and have been sitting like this, w/ this setup for about 3 yrs now.

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X