Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

No Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Start

I just put in a new alternator and now my car will not start. I have power to all systems, but when I turn the key I get absolutely nothing, the starter does not even try to turn over. The car did sit with the battery disconnected for a little over two months. Tried jumping the car and still nothing.

Here's what I've tried so far. Another Battery, IG Fuse, Battery Fuse, Checked the battery connections on the starter ( they were reversed I switeched them and still nothing. Could this have ruined the starter?) My distributor is brand new along with spark plugs. I've reached the extent of my knowledge though, any feed back would be apprecitated.

have sum one look at it im sure it minor

Comment

Your going to need a test light or multi-meter to find you what voltage you have and where its not getting too.
      -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

Car is stuck in my drive way, can't have someone look at her. What should I test with the multi-meter? Anything else I can do?

Comment

Is this a manual transmission? If so, test the clutch safety circuit.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Like when you try to start your car, does anything at all comes on? Like lights, radio, wipers anything. If not, check your main relay fuse. Thats the 80A fuse in the fusebox...
            My Black "H"
            AL Meet!?

//Secret G2I Lover, Shhhhhhh! //

Comment

I've got power lights, radio, wipers all of that, what I don't have is any attempt of a start. It's a manual transmission. How do I test the clutch safety circuit ?

Comment

I did have the starter connected in the wrong way. I had the postive cable coming from the battery connected to the other terminal. I switched them and let the batter charge for a while, but still no start. Could this have killed the starter? I noticed that the starter is really hot! Is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LX View Post
                  I did have the starter connected in the wrong way. I had the postive cable coming from the battery connected to the other terminal. I switched them and let the batter charge for a while, but still no start. Could this have killed the starter? I noticed that the starter is really hot! Is that normal?
                  Starter might be seized. Try wacking it with a hammer or a wrench you don't care about. Other than that, make sure all your grounds are tight, no corrosion, and make sure all the connections on your alt are tight. If they are off just a little it can cause a no start. As for the multi meter, check that you have ~12 volts at the starter when the key is turned to start, and at the positive side of the alt when the car is off. That will tell you if the loop through the engine is good.
                  1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LX View Post
                    If the engine hasn't been running or you haven't been cranking it, the starter shouldn't be too hot. Whacking it with a hammer is a bit barbaric to me. Take it off and inspect the solenoid (or readjust the pinion gear if it is seized). Sounds like it may have burned out.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

When I starter seized on me it got hot.
                      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by IAmTheNight View Post
                        If the engine hasn't been running or you haven't been cranking it, the starter shouldn't be too hot. Whacking it with a hammer is a bit barbaric to me. Take it off and inspect the solenoid (or readjust the pinion gear if it is seized). Sounds like it may have burned out.
                        Not all that barbaric. All that is there is magnets in a housing. They get hung up just like anything else, and a few hits is enough to break them loose if that is indeed the problem.
                        1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

I'll try giving it a couple whacks tonight, after all the starter is still under warranty.

Comment

After you try to start does it, it seem that the lights in the dash are weak?

Also did you hear a zap or something?

I had the same issue.

Solved by cleaning the hell out of the battery posts and the terminals.

Comment

Working...
                            X