Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Valve tick after rocker replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve tick after rocker replacement

So, i replaced the rockers in my accord, and after doing the valve lash, i think they need to be re-done... they are ticking an aweful lot... and by alot, i mean, shit, its just bearable... i started it up, let it run for a minute to see if it would change, but it didnt. Any kind of suggestions?
    90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
    2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

valve adjustment
    Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
    -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

Originally posted by cali-racer View Post
      valve adjustment
      Thats what i just did, and its brutally bad... i'm not sure, but i dont think its exactly safe to drive.. i would hate for something to break...

Comment

valve adjustment.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Update

I agree.... another adjustment after its been sitting for a night and the motor is stone cold.

Definately see what the lash is before you back off the nuts to see what they are.

How's your car idling and how does the timing sound...good?

You said you replaced all the rockers..wow...everything is getting worked in and settling and needs fine tuning I'm thinking.

I have a wicked start up problem with mine right now and are working through it. I have what sounds like a fuel or air starvation only on startup. Then 3-4 revs it goes away. I'm thinking something to do with the auto choke.

I hear a tick from mine and need to do the lash as well.

Oh joy..lol

Comment

lash is easy, ive done one in about 30 minutes minus the valve cover removal. i liek to adjsut them to the tight side and even that they're are still noisy.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurians' Ryde View Post
              I agree.... another adjustment after its been sitting for a night and the motor is stone cold.

Definately see what the lash is before you back off the nuts to see what they are.

How's your car idling and how does the timing sound...good?

You said you replaced all the rockers..wow...everything is getting worked in and settling and needs fine tuning I'm thinking.

I have a wicked start up problem with mine right now and are working through it. I have what sounds like a fuel or air starvation only on startup. Then 3-4 revs it goes away. I'm thinking something to do with the auto choke.

I hear a tick from mine and need to do the lash as well.

Oh joy..lol
              Yeah, i replaced ALL the rockers, and when i was done, i did the valve lash. I read the haynes manual 4 times before i did it, and had it beside me when i did it, i know its not all that complicated, but man, i never seen this kinda problem. It sounds like an H22 with KILLER CAMS... if you ever seen that video.. .its scarry.. The rockers were off another accord, only had 25K on them (service records were in the car, head was redone, and NEW rockers were put on) I assume the problem is that they are not tuned properly. I cant exactly trust myself however to do this, i never seem to know when too tight is to damn tight, and not good enough is too slack. I even removed the fuel rail to make it easier. It sounds louder then just letting them re-seat... im gonna pop the cover off tomorrow and see whats going on.

Btw, yeah the idle was fine... even the exhaust sounded ok, it wasnt choppy or anything.... No backfiring... so thats good.

Well i know what we did wrong. Sorry, my neighbor... He ajusted the valves as neccessary when the rocker wasnt on the lobe, so when it wasnt turning in order, he didnt ajust all 4 of them, he went by eye on the camshaft.. and the gauge for the lash. Gonna re-do it again tomorrow
              Thanks guys.
              Last edited by js593; 07-28-2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

decided to do it again today... Rule of thumb, never ask your neighbor to help unless you KNOW he knows how to do it. Each valve was off by nearly .075-.150.... Fuck, i swear, if anything happened to that motor, i would shit a brick.
                Everything is re-gapped properly and now i know how to do it for next time. I had to read the haynes manual again to picture it in my head... the whole rotation was screwin me up, i thought it was 1 full crank turn was 1 full cam turn, but i was wrong.
                Thanks guys.

Comment

Response

lol...Nice.

BAD neighbour !!! BAD neighbour !!!

* swat *

Well at least it made sense as to where the knock came from. I hate crap that doesn't make sense.

How does she sound now?

( P.S.- I GOT MY A/C RETRO'ED AND FIXED TODAY !!!... BEST $250 I HAVE EVER PAID ! Turned out it had 2 seal leaks.)

I'm pretty much a "fo sho" for the Ocean Shores Meet.

( ...and the only friggin Canadian appearently. )

Comment

Originally posted by Taurians' Ryde View Post
                    lol...Nice.

BAD neighbour !!! BAD neighbour !!!

* swat *

Well at least it made sense as to where the knock came from. I hate crap that doesn't make sense.

How does she sound now?

( P.S.- I GOT MY A/C RETRO'ED AND FIXED TODAY !!!... BEST $250 I HAVE EVER PAID ! Turned out it had 2 seal leaks.)

I'm pretty much a "fo sho" for the Ocean Shores Meet.

( ...and the only friggin Canadian appearently. )
                    I dont have the valve cover back on, i need to order just the outer valve seal for around the cover (not the tubes) cause my gasket has some RTV that doesnt want to come off of it... I should be able to get it back up and running tomorrow.

Comment

yeah one HALF turn on the crank is one QUARTER turn on the cam. It took me 3 hrs for my first valve adj., everyone's gotta start from somewhere.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                        yeah one HALF turn on the crank is one QUARTER turn on the cam. It took me 3 hrs for my first valve adj., everyone's gotta start from somewhere.
                        3 hours? Wow, thats alot. Took me around an hour to get the rocker assembly off, put newer rockers on, and put the assembly back on, and ajust the valves.

Comment

Well, everything is back on... and yeah, turned over the motor.. all i heard was a loud BANG.... We figure that the valves were tightened too much, and the pistons nailed them.

Comment

Haha, just kidding. Everything was ajusted, new gaskets put on with RTV as well as anti-seize on the plugs. It sounds amazing, a little tick, but i think it might be something related to the exhaust header leak. Next up is an A4 header swap, and a downpipe. However i need to know, the diameter of the downpipe of the aftermarket ones the same as the A4 one (it was cut at the Y section, so i need to put a flex on there and weld it up.)

Thanks guys for all the help.

Comment

Well, when all hope is lost.. come to the forums i say. I just did the valve lash on it, and the ticking doesnt seem to go away, how long should it be run for the ticking to stop completley with newer rockers on there?

Comment

Working...
                              X