Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

who else has shit luck when working on cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who else has shit luck when working on cars

This weekend me and eric did his brake pads, rotors, and rear calipers.

On friday afternoon we started with the rears. And just a little background.... Eric hates wrenching on cars but I love it so i do most of the labor and he does a lot of supervising and getting tools. The first caliper comes off and it turns out that 1 of the pistons is siezed on the bracket. It was already after 6 so the only auto places open were autozone and pepboys and they don't sell the bracket seperate. Then we take the other rear caliper off and it turns out a piston on the other bracket is also frozen. WTF. On sat morning I call acura and a few other places. Not even the freaking dealership can get us the bracket. So now i need to find a resealing kit. The closest one was a good 30 mins away. Eric doesn't have a car so he needs to find a ride to my work (which happens to be a repair shop) He takes my car get the reseal kit and then comes back to my shop and the guys were nice enough to heat the bracket up, get the piston free and reseal everything.

When we get home from work I put the passenger side caliper on and crossthread one of the freaking bolts that goes into to the bracket. OOOOPS. Then we put the other side on and test the e-brake. The spring is moving things seem fine. We do the front pads and rotors no problems. Go to try and to bleed the brakes and notice that the e-brake isn't holding the driverside. Turns out the Caliper is faulty. It was already like midnight on saturday So i get up at 9 this morning and call autozone (they now know me as the Girl who's BF drives a GSR). They say they have another one in another store and will have someone go pick it up. I take the caliper off (while eric is sleeping) we get to the store and its the wrong freaking side. We then have to drive to the other autozone and get the correct caliper. At this point i'm just like honestly what else can go wrong. We put that one on and its working fine. We test drive the car and there is a squeaking noise. at this point i don't care and eric can drive the car like that. lol. Turns out the front lug nuts were still loose. I watched eric tighten them all just before taking the test drive but they stll came loose.

So who else has shit luck like this when working on cars? We could have had this done in 2 hours if it wasn't for all this stupid shit happening and people not having the parts we need.
    "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
    - Ernest Hemingway

Me. My transmission has been sitting on my garage floor since Wednesday.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

i have the worst luck with cars. i bought my car and the next day my slave cylinder messed up. then a week later my clutch hose got clogged.

i dont even want to mention all i had to go threw wile doing my nonabs conversion. ill be writing here all nite

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

Comment

Sometimes stuff like that happens. Since Murphey is such a dick, it always happens when A) you don't need it to, or B) can't do anything about it.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

x108!

I went to do plugs/wires last week and ended up doing a VC gasket and tube seals.

Before that, went to do the IACV...my socket wrench was too fat and i couldnt reach the bolts. Had to go out and buy a whole wrench kit, all for one open-ended 10mm.

Before that it was the FITV. Stripped a screw. Had to go buy a bag of hex caps...

Fuel Filter turned into a 3 day adventure that also involved doing the Fuel Pump as well.

Last edited by MikeW; 07-20-2008, 03:14 PM.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

You heard all about my traction bar nightmare... that sucker is welded in place now.

Nothing EVER goes smoothly with cars.

Comment

especially not 15+ year old well driven 200K+ mileage cars
              ____

Comment

On my accord the former owner loved coffee and spilled it everywhere so when I put any part of the dash off, i have to always fights because the sugar in the coffee makes a great glue.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                  especially not 15+ year old well driven 200K+ mileage cars
                  Yep it sucks, its so often now, my car just hit 170k miles earlier this week.

The new tsx are ugly, TL is nice. Just in case you're wondering, yes I am on Acura.com

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                    Nothing EVER goes smoothly with cars.

That's not completely true. Most stuff goes pretty smoothly for me.
                    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

guys, if you convince yourself that you have bad luck and focus on the negatives, that's the only type of energy that you'll attract. have confidence that everything you do will work and focus on the positives in life and you'll be much better off. anyone living a happy life can attest to this FACT.

Comment

When me and a buddy of mine changed the clutch in my old 2000 civic Si unknowing to us the old CV axle boots had small dry rot cracks in them that we ripped open when we took them out. Later we had to tear the front end back apart to replace both axles. Axle grease is a pain to clean off and it gets everywhere.

Typically when planning a weekend thrashing on mine or a buddys car we plan in 1-2 hours of "Fix the f--- up time"

Comment

I have more than one shit moment..

I got an ebay SRI and it didnt fit right... cut it... prob solved...

Went to put my oil psi gauge in, broke the stock sender...

Took the head off for a valve adjust... one of the lock nuts came off of the valve adjusters while i drove it and is in my engine.... I went to 5 different auto stores in my moms crv w/ no luck... (autozone, advance, napa, GM dealership, O'Rilleys) wasing a load of gas... went to a honda dealer... paid $3.50 for one nut... that would come 2 days later... I than went to a jy on the same day in my hometown (the others were like 20mi away) and got 2 of them off an f22a1 for $2
                          Put them on... car works fine, but still need to do a valve adj...

Now my CV's click like hell...

Im gonna have my guy at monro muff & brk install the ones I bought... I'm to afraid i'll fuck it up lol. Its good to have a friend who is also a mechaninc...

Comment

Originally posted by mosesblimey View Post
                            guys, if you convince yourself that you have bad luck and focus on the negatives, that's the only type of energy that you'll attract. have confidence that everything you do will work and focus on the positives in life and you'll be much better off. anyone living a happy life can attest to this FACT.
                            wow, so true

When I work on my cars, I usually don't have any problems at all. If a worn out part breaks, then I replace it and am happy that it didn't break when I was driving!!!

Comment

When you know what you are doing things go that much smoother. The more you do the shit the easier/smoother things become. You'll still have those shitty moments though every once in a while. Even experienced DIYer's like Rusty above have their moments every now and again. I went to JY today to pull an AC compressor and two lines for my car and I completely owned myself. Turns out my 1993 EX is totally different AC wise than other Cbs. I pulled the nippondenso compressor off a 92 LX, get home, try to put it on and the shit will not clear the manifold. So I have to go back find a 93 EX and pull the haydys whatever compressor and ac lines that fit on my car.
                              Last edited by Fake Thug; 07-20-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X