Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

I think I found it! Neutral Safety Switch???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I found it! Neutral Safety Switch???

For a while, I have been complaining about my problem. Sometimes the car won't start. I replaced the starter (needed it), replaced the main relay (seemed to be cracking, but who knows?).

Anyways usually the problem occurred after a drive so the engine was hot, I figured the heat had something to do with it and replaced the main relay, and thought my fans not working were the problem, maybe they contribute but I don't know.

So I drive to my jiu jitsu class tonight and park it, then I'm away for 2 hours. The car should be sufficiently cooled by now. I get in and nothing! No crank, or anything. It was 72 degrees out and was night, so not hot at all.

Only thing that happens as usual is all the dash lights come on and they flash when I turn the key but nothing else happens.

I was real frustrated and didn't know what to do. I removed the ecu fuse to reset it to see if that did anything, nothing.

I then had a moment of genius, I cranked the car without depressing the clutch and the same problem happened without the flash. I then remembered my auto shop lessons and the neutral safety switch.

I reached down near the clutch and wiggled the wires, and viola! The car started!

So now I'm 99% positive that this is the main cause if not the only culprit.

Are these easy to replace? how much do they cost? where can I find it for a manual car?

Cliffs

Car doesn't start
    symptoms same as not depressing clutch
    wiggled wires near the clutch
    car started
    thinking it's the neutral safety switch.
    1993 Honda Accord EX-R Coupe Granada Black Pearl
    ///Alpine CDA-9847 Head Unit
    OBX Pedals, stock air box, Ebay headers, Stock dual tipped muffler. Emblems removed, grill chrome painted black.

1993 Kawasaki EX500 Flat Black. First Bike.

Its ontop of the clutch pedal assembly, its a 2 wire switch, Screws into a nut onto the pedal assembly. You can jump the 2 wires together with a paper clip to bypass the switch and see if thats the problem for sure.

Comment

the problem only happens sometimes so I can't replicate the problem on purpose. It usually leaves me stranded in the most inopportune times.

The previous owner was a dumb kid who messed with the wiring down there, it sticks out and is a mess.

is there a way to diagnose it to be 100% sure if it works or not with a voltmeter?

The symptoms are 99.9% the same as not pressing in the clutch.
      OBX Pedals, stock air box, Ebay headers, Stock dual tipped muffler. Emblems removed, grill chrome painted black.

Comment

Change the swith and see first,

Could be the wiring is just loose, hence the intermittent problem.

Also, you could try and put a multimeter on the 2 terminals of the switch and push in the black tab, Check for continuinty on the multimeter and that way you can see if the switch is good or not.

Comment

where can I buy a new one besides the dealer? searching onling give me automatic trans results, not manual.

Comment

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...4,partGroup,78

You have to get the 2 pin one, The 3 pin switch is used for the cruise control.

Comment

I'll check this out, but I wiggled some wires so maybe the wireing is bad and not the switch itself. I'll have to see what I find I guess, this hooptie is making me real frustrated.

Comment

Working...
              X