Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Valve lash adjustment troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve lash adjustment troubles

A few months ago I tried to adjust my valves to lower the noise level of the engine. I don't think the previous owners ever had the valvez adjusted. I was only able to adjust one valve; the little adjustment screws were seized on the other ones I tried adjusting. And I was starting to strip out the screw heads so I stopped and put it back together. My question is, is there anything I can safely spray onto those adjustment screws to loosen them up, without having it contaminate the oil or fall into the engine?

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

pb blaster, wd 40 and all that shit is all petroleum based so it wouldnt matter. plus, you are suppsoed to loosen the nut first before the screw head.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Yeah I do loosen the nut first. But after that the screws are still stuck, like they're melted on. That's why I believed they had never been adjusted.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Did you have each cylinder at TDC individually before you tried adjusting them?
        Because if the spring was compressed (valve open) you won't be able to turn the screws, due to the load pushing up on them.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

wd40 eats oil- ithink. used to use it to clean stuff
          you'll love my nuts!

Comment

yeah turn your crank pully to make cyl. 1 at TDC (the UP mark or Arrow is pointing perpendicular with respect to the cylinder head). then adjust the valve .010" intake valve, .012" exhaust valve, then turn it 180* and then adjust cyl 3. then turn the crank 180* and cyl 4, and then finally 180* and cyl 2. It took me 3 hrs my first time so don't worry if you work slow.

It goes 1-3-4-2.

you're supposed to have a box end 10mm wrench twisting the nut off while you have a flat head on top holding the placement of the screw.

And do this when your engine is COLD, like at least 5hrs cold.

Also I would get the ANGLED feeler gauges, otherwise it'll be difficult w/ just straight feeler gauges.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

just to clarifi what losiracer said.

turn the crank 180 degrees. Dont turn the crank until the cam is 180 degrees.

when the "up" mark on the cam is straight up and down and the two side sprockets are perpendicular with the head, your numbe rone cylinder is at tdc.

When the "up" mark is 90* to the left, number 3 is at tdc.

and when it is upside down, number 4 is at tdc, and when it is 90* to the right your last cylinder, 4 is at tdc.

I forgot to do this when i did my valves my first time. I even got my valve cover on and everything. Haha so make sure you adjust each valve

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

It also happened to me after using that valvoline long life oil. I guessed it seized-up the nut on the adjusting screw. I ended up replacing them all by taking off all the rocker arms and cutting the adjusting screw off from the nut so that I can unscrew the remaining nut off the rocker arm. Doing this give me also the opportunity to replace my lower spark plug tube seals/o-ring since it will going to be exposed by taking off the rocker arms...

Comment

Working...
                X