Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

what the hell did I do to my transmission?!?! PLEASE HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what the hell did I do to my transmission?!?! PLEASE HELP!!

I've had my car on jackstands for THREE MONTHS trying to repair suspension I fucked up because I didn't see a curb and I'm THIIIIIS close to done. I just got the car started today for the first time in two weeks, I had to take off the throttle body assembly to drill out the stripped idle screw.. That all went smoothly.

I guess in all of the excitement in having it running, idling perfect, and having new engine mounts I decided to test it for vibrations in gear while it was on the jackstands, with the wheels still off.

I forgot that my passenger side spindle was disconnected from the the upper control arm and tie rod and it was just kind of hanging from the lower control arm..

Anyway, I put it in drive for just a second, held the brakes, it's perfect then I quickly went to reverse and as it switched I hear a loud CLICK like my mounts were out, though it was a bit louder..

So I'm like HOLY SHIT WTF!?! and turn the car off, run over and realize how STUPID of a move that really was.. Looking at the passenger side the axle boot slid off and back bit where it narrows off in the last few inches of that side of the axle, which points outward indicating it's just popped out... I raised the axle up, tried popping it in any if I could an the boot returned to where it was. Okay.. I reconnected the upper control arm, tie rod, and jacked up the whole assembly to where it would usually be if the tire were on and tried again to see what's up.. the drivers side spins perfectly but the fucking passenger side kind of just spins for a second and then kind of stops, then goes again, then stops and then constantly but very slowly for a couple seconds and I can stop it from spinning with my hand! WTF DID I DO!?!?!?!

Did I fuck up my tranny, is it just the axle, or is it popped out or something!!? What do I need to test?!?!

OMG. After MONTHS of not having a car I'm THIS close to being done and I fuck something up... I'm going to cry..
    Last edited by jay92889; 05-29-2008, 10:18 PM.

LOL you didnt mess up anything thats the beauty of open diffs, Only one wheel spins, If you put it in drive and stop the wheel thats spinning the other will start to spin. Everything is fine if there is no unusual noise.

Comment

open diff , you don't have lsd or else it would spin.
      FS: DSM turbo parts,OEM parts, and more.....
      My Members Ride Thread - R.i.P

Comment

Originally posted by smokeeey420
        open diff , you don't have lsd or else it would spin.
        So does this explain why the passenger side spins, and stops, and spins, then it might go spin constantly for a few seconds and stop...whereas the driver one is constantly and consistently spinning?

That really doesn't seem right..

What the hell was that loud noise then, and why was the axle boot pushed back??

Comment

yes......an open differential will do that. Nothin unusual about it. Couldnt tell you on the noise though.

Comment

was the axle pushed all the way in past the clip??

maybe it got kicked out from not being in all the way?? idk
            clicking noises are usually bad c/v axles
            FS: DSM turbo parts,OEM parts, and more.....
            My Members Ride Thread - R.i.P

Comment

Originally posted by jay92889
              So does this explain why the passenger side spins, and stops, and spins, then it might go spin constantly for a few seconds and stop...whereas the driver one is constantly and consistently spinning?

That really doesn't seem right..

What the hell was that loud noise then, and why was the axle boot pushed back??
              It will do that, I've done it many times and thats how it always is

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                It will do that, I've done it many times and thats how it always is
                Thanks for the info you guys, good looking out!

My axle did get pushed out a little but I popped it back in and it's fine. I put the open differential theory to the test and stop the drivers side from spinning, and made sure the passenger side took over, and it worked out fine! I got lucky!

Glad that's resovled.

Quick question I've got though, for those of you with auto transmissions, how do yours shift?

Mine shifts like SHIT. I mean, it's pretty damn bad, and it likes to hold gears? It gets VERY annoying around town, but it's been so consistent over the time I've had the car which is about 15k. It's a '90 ex with around 250k on it. I've got a friend with a '91 Lx with the same mileage and it's smooth like butter and always keeps the higher gears! It's got a nice, sort of like the timing retards delaying the smooth shift shift between 1st and 2nd whereas mine just slams all clunky into gear.. no delay, and very crude. wtf??

It refuses to shift into 2nd gear any earlier than 15mph... Is this normal? Even around town and such, and ESPECIALLY in stop and go traffic, it doesn't really always upshift when I let off the gas, so lets say I'm doing about 40, it'd still be holding 3rd, and it loses momentum very quickly and it's pretty hard to brake since it's still tied to the engine like a manual would be rather than upshifting... What gives? My friend's lx has no problem upshifting when appropriate, and does so much earlier than mine.

Fluid levels are fine, nice and pink, smells like sweet strawberry!

Is it becuase the fluid in the trans possibly isn't honda atf? Maybe I need to follow Honda's recommendation and use Lubeguard conditioner to restore smooth shifting?

Another friend's '88 civic shifts MUCH smoother than my car..
                Last edited by jay92889; 05-30-2008, 04:36 AM.

Comment

15mph to shift to second...thats fine.

change thawt fluid quick fix....
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                  X