Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine making weird sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine making weird sound

Okey I had my Accord tuned up a few weeks ago, the guy who did it told me he had ajusted the valves, but I still hear this annoying sound. I don't Know what is going on. When I speed up I feel a sound on the engine. Is it normal? I have the original engine. My car is a 1993 Honda Accord Ex. DO you guys have any web site where I can compare the sound of my engine with another orginal one?. ONe more las question. I put 2.4 galons of gas a few days ago, and Just got 45 miles. What is wrong?

Originally posted by Helmito
    Okey I had my Accord tuned up a few weeks ago, the guy who did it told me he had ajusted the valves, but I still hear this annoying sound. I don't Know what is going on. When I speed up I feel a sound on the engine. Is it normal? I have the original engine. My car is a 1993 Honda Accord Ex. DO you guys have any web site where I can compare the sound of my engine with another orginal one?. ONe more las question. I put 2.4 galons of gas a few days ago, and Just got 45 miles. What is wrong?

What side of the car does the sound come from?
    What gear are you in?
    What RPM/speed does it happen at?
    Auto/manual?
    Will it do it in park/neutral?
    Is it a low, grinding noise? High pitched whine?
    Does it do it all the time, or only when you first start your car?

We need more info to really help you out.

As for your gas mileage, you really ought to go for a longer test period. The best way to check is to fill your tank up, reset your odometer, and drive til your light comes on. Then, fill your tank up again, note the number of gallons you put in, and divide the number of miles you drove (from the odometer) by the gallons of gas you put in. I do this with my cell phone every time I get gas.
    Last edited by benji; 05-22-2008, 02:32 AM.
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by benji
      What side of the car does the sound come from?
      What gear are you in?
      What RPM/speed does it happen at?
      Auto/manual?
      Will it do it in park/neutral?
      Is it a low, grinding noise? High pitched whine?
      Does it do it all the time, or only when you first start your car?

We need more info to really help you out.

As for your gas mileage, you really ought to go for a longer test period. The best way to check is to fill your tank up, reset your odometer, and drive til your light comes on. Then, fill your tank up again, note the number of gallons you put in, and divide the number of miles you drove (from the odometer) by the gallons of gas you put in. I do this with my cell phone every time I get gas.
      also note, once the gas light comes on, you still got 4 gallons to use.

all of our accords have weird sounds comming from the head. its normal. unless you have a ticking sound, then you need valve adjustment.
      miss my turbo cb7
      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

yeah but Honda engines are notorious for a ticking sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung
          yeah but Honda engines are notorious for a ticking sound.
          yeah he is right expecially the f22. not matter what your gonna have that lil ticking sound coming from the engine. but as far as your gas mileage check your fuel filter, air filter, and your spark plugs

Comment

I made a video just today so that you guys can hear it. Check it out and tell me if it is normal

http://www.youtube.com/helmemart

Comment

Originally posted by Helmito
              I made a video just today so that you guys can hear it. Check it out and tell me if it is normal

http://www.youtube.com/helmemart
              sounds normal, check your oil level? is it low? maybe its not getting enough lubrication.

And also, make a vid. of it going at diff. RPMs or something. that kinda limited us in diagnosing it.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

mine doesnt sound that loud

Comment

That really does not sound normal. Maybe its the camera or something, but it sounds like the valves are ticking really loud. Usually after a valve lash the valves will tick somewhat loud for a couple of days , but nothing like that video.

You should take it back to the guy that did it and see what he says. Its possible he might not have done em at all or did it wrong.The first valve adj. I ever did my engine sounded like that. Like someone with a sickle pick hitting glass really hard/fast. The tolerances on the exhaust side were way off, I ended up reworking it.

Comment

My bet is in higher RPMs it starts to sound normal.

It does sound like you need a valve lash job again. But some of that sound might be from your alternator and power steering pump.

You can figure all this out better with a mechanics stethoscope. Or you can take a very long screwdriver and place it against parts of the engine and the other side to your head to sort of feel where this ticking sound is coming from. I know that sounds odd but its a very good way of figuring out where those crazy ticking sounds are coming from.
                    AD5OS
                    FOLDING@home

Comment

I took it to the guy who did it, and he says it is normal. I will take to another mechanic and listen to his opinion

Comment

Sounds just like my engine. I know mine needs a valve adjustment (clearances are way too tight). But I don't know how an adjustment will affect the abnormal growling noise.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by AD5OS
                          My bet is in higher RPMs it starts to sound normal.

It does sound like you need a valve lash job again. But some of that sound might be from your alternator and power steering pump.

You can figure all this out better with a mechanics stethoscope. Or you can take a very long screwdriver and place it against parts of the engine and the other side to your head to sort of feel where this ticking sound is coming from. I know that sounds odd but its a very good way of figuring out where those crazy ticking sounds are coming from.
                          Same kinda trick, you can take a piece of vacuum line/fuel line/any kind of small hose and put it to your ear, and use the other end as a probe.
                          1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

the car is still making this sound eventhough the mechanic told me he had adjust them. He said that if he adjust them more he could damge the car. i dont know. The noise is lower when I acelerate, but when I acelerate I hear like a very low bell sound. The car is a little hard to start when cold too.
                            Thanks for the answers

Comment

did you have the cam reground? if you did, the tolerances of the valves might be different.

Comment

Working...
                              X